John Kerry, Mr. Insincerity

Fedral

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:20 pm
John Kerry, Mr. Insincerity[/u]
Rich Lowry
March 15, 2004

John Kerry doesn't mean what he says. This statement doesn't represent a partisan attack on the Massachusetts senator. For his supporters, it's one of his most attractive qualities. Indeed, if it weren't for his insincerity, John Kerry would face a revolt among his liberal base and a political meltdown generally.

Consider: Liberals think that opposition to gay wedlock is bigoted and backward. John Kerry, who repeats his opposition to gay marriage whenever asked, has therefore outed himself as a kind of gay-basher. He joins Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and the rest of the Christian right gang in seeking to deny gays their "civil rights." So, John Kerry must be a hateful fundamentalist merely posing as an intellectually condescending Boston Brahmin.

But wait. When Kerry says he opposes gay marriage, everyone -- especially his most fervid supporters -- knows he doesn't mean it. The primary legal obstacle to the spread of gay marriage around the country is the Defense of Marriage Act, which protects states from having to recognize marriages from other states. Kerry opposed it upon its passage in 1996. He seems inclined to accept the steady, court-imposed march of gay wedlock. This means Kerry is functionally in favor of gay marriage - he's just afraid to say so. Hurray for political cowardice!

Kerry promises to cut the deficit in half in five years. If you believe what he says about taxes -- he'll retain and even augment the Bush tax cuts on the middle class, and repeal only the tax cuts on the rich -- that means Kerry must implement stiff spending cuts to pay for his program. His health-care plan alone will cost $900 billion over 10 years, and his promised tax increase will only produce $250 billion. So there will be great budgetary pain in the Kerry administration, especially considering that Democrats have accused President Bush of drastic spending austerity when domestic discretionary spending has increased a whopping 40 percent over four years. But relax. Kerry doesn't mean it, either on the deficit or taxes, or maybe both.

Kerry voted to authorize the Iraq War. This was nearly disqualifying in a Democratic Party deeply opposed to the war. Kerry saved himself by convincing liberal primary voters that he didn't really mean his war-authorization vote, at least not in the sense it was commonly understood (i.e., authorizing Bush to go to war). Later, Kerry voted against $87 billion in funding for U.S. troops and reconstruction efforts in Iraq. His support for de-funding the U.S. operation would seem deeply irresponsible. Unless, of course, Kerry didn't really mean it.

Saying what you don't mean can, despite all its political benefits, be confusing. Kerry voted for the Patriot Act, then declared that he didn't really mean it during the Democratic primaries. Now, attacked by the Bush team for opposing the Patriot Act, Kerry objects that he didn't mean that either. Which position doesn't he mean more?

Who can know? It was once said of the famously contentious 17th-century Puritan rebel John Lilburne, "If the world were emptied of all but John Lilburne, Lilburne would quarrel with John, and John with Lilburne." If he were similarly left all alone on the field of political combat, John would quarrel with Kerry, and Kerry with John.

In the Senate, Kerry defended free trade for years. Lately, he has explained to protectionist Democratic voters that he didn't mean it. He advocates including labor and environmental standards in trade agreements, a position that will make it difficult for the United States to forge future free-trade agreements. And he supports a crackdown on "outsourcing," also known as free trade in labor. If Kerry follows through, he will be the first U.S. president in 50 years to abandon the U.S. posture of pushing for more global economic openness. But maybe he hasn't meant what he has said in the course of explaining that he didn't mean what he used to say on trade.

Or maybe he's being sincere. That would be truly frightening.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 940 • Replies: 11
No top replies

suzy

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:37 pm
What would frighten me is if he were the first presidential candidate to have to try to please the majority, or if he were a sitting president who says one thing and does another.
The examples given are simplistic. one need only to look beneath the surface to see the truth.
Besides, he could flip flop once a day and still whip the country into shape better than Bush can, not to mention what good he will do internationally.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:38 pm
If only he would flip-flop but once per day.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 09:20 pm
Guess you're not a Kerry fan Smile
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 09:26 pm
I don't think many are, it's the ABB platform that's driving him.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:15 pm
Could be. he wasn't my first choice, but, as opposed to Bush? yeah.
I do trust him to do what's best.
0 Replies

wakeup

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:14 am
kerry
kerry is the only chance we have of cracking down on illegal immigration and cancelling nafta. i don't hear many people talking about it, i suppose because most people in the north aren't experiencing the spanish language invasion yet. within this past year in oklahoma our atm machines have turned bilingual, kaut43 is airing spanish translation commercials, lowes has put spanish signs in its new store in claremore ok, drivers exams are being given in spanish, and i'm sure there is more that i am not aware of. i'm pretty sure that if we wanted to live in mexico, then we would all move to mexico. no one has the right to enter our country illegally, and then force their language into our homes or our stores. i thought President Bush was doing a good job until he announced his new proposal on temporary foreign workers. now he basically whats to do nothing about the problem and give them amnesty. he has even backed off a plan to fingerprint them at the border. trust me on this one, you will not like it when you walk into a store and see spanish signs. it will happen eventually in your state unless we all start complaining to these businesses and change administrations.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:04 pm
Plenty of Hispanics in Massachusetts, alongside Asians. We have had the signs already in government situations. They pack 20 into a three bedroom apartment, they take over the ghettos and dislocate the poor white trash, and they are sucking off of welfare here just as much as they are in the south. Don't think OK is the only one with this problem. Businesses all over the country take them in because they work so cheap. The factories are full of them. English can be non-existant in some stores. Bush WANTS this. They are cheap labor, far cheaper than Americans are, which means big profits for the few Owners exploiting them. This is an old song and dance. Nothing new ever since waves of immigrants have been coming into this country. They are desparate, and the Owners are perfectly willing to exploit that desparation. Of course, it just creates problems that never go away, and someday it's going to get really ugly in this country, but for now, don't expect anything to change much.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:05 pm
I get a kick out of the Kerry bashers on the internet. They point out all of Kerry's flaws, and totally ignore the fact that you could replace Kerry with Bush and it would still make perfect sense...
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:05 pm
The ABB platform? Pray tell, what is it you think this is?
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 10:18 pm
most of the atm machines here in vancouver have three or four language choices - you get used to it - it's just one more button to push Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 11:14 pm
Now, quit pick'n on Kerry; after all, he's a uniter and not a divider. Wink
0 Replies