Religious bigotry in seventh grade class room

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:00 pm
By the way, Sofia (Lash) is teaching medieval European history. Comments about other nations and other times are really not germane.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:12 pm
@Setanta,
Japanese Shintoism in European Medieval History?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:45 pm
@Setanta,
errr no
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
In fact, the "rest of the world" seems to very uncritically buy the line of bullshit of the Dalai Lama and his toadies.

You're very familiar with how that works, aren't you, Set? The line of bullshit, I mean. Oh, you know, ummm, would know exactly what I'm referencing if you weren't such an intellectual coward.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:08 pm
OK, so it's world medieval history . . .

Quote:
I'm teaching Medieval History (on a seventh grade level) . . .

. . . Tibet in the 20th or the 21st century is still not germane.
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 12:26 pm
@Setanta,
You're right it's not germane.

We don't need one more thread that wandered off into a **** throwing contest, as most do. I apologize to Lash if I've contributed to that.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 12:30 pm
Quote:

Hell, he said that Catholics aren't real Christians - and we have the Crusades after Japan...

This does happen to be true, so you gotta give him that.

Cycloptichorn
George

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 12:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Here we go again.
0 Replies

Cuterthanpaul

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 12:43 am
@Lash,
Now he is in seventh grade, but what one learns as a child tends to shape their adult views, you could contact the parents or talk to the dean is what I would suggest
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I think that most Germans are 'remorseful' about what happened during the Nazi-period and what was done by past generations during that time.

I've never met someone who "privately like[s] the idea they were the winners of the German culture" - but since I don't know any Neo-Nazis, this is only anecdotal.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, and I mine. And, I have read enough books that relate anecdotal comments about older Germans, just after WWII, that did think that Germany did what was necessary to wrest Germany from "the Jews," since Jews owned "so much."

Again in my opinion, Germany now being a productive economy where many a German can live comfortably, without thinking that this corporation, or that corporation is "Jewish" (owned), like IG Farben was, is just an elegant fait accompli.

I guess the audacity of the "Arbeit Mach Frei" sign or "you are only taking a shower," makes me think there is a cunningness that I am not ready to think is gone from the national character. Intelligent, yes. And, in my opinion, a reason to be happy Germany is productive (and peaceful).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:05 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, and I mine. And, I have read enough books that relate anecdotal comments about older Germans, just after WWII, that did think that Germany did what was necessary to wrest Germany from "the Jews," since Jews owned "so much."
Thanks. However, my response was related to your post, where
you wrote:
For example, the problem I have with "German guilt" over the Holocaust is that yes, Germans mostly say it was wrong to commit genocide. And, yes, Germans mostly say it was based on canards about Jews, or whoever.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:13 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
... or that corporation is "Jewish" (owned), like IG Farben was, ...
I doubt that someone thought such - but on the other side, since the meeting of IG-Farben owners and directors with Hitler is known as the "Secret Meeting of 20 February 1933", that could have been so.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:
In the way of example, wouldn't one think that there are many devout Catholics that are embarrassed by the incidents of pedophilia? Just because one continues to practice the faith wouldn't mean they don't feel embarrassment for the incidents? Do you get this?

A bit of double standards here Fluff, I don't see you displaying any remorse/embarrassment over the disgraceful way Israel treats the Palestinians.

I believe many Gentile Americans do not show remorse for the Palestinean concerns. My lack of remorse is because I am not an Israeli (that is not my "team"). Being a secular American Jew, I do like that European Jews have more than Britain to live in after WWII. Voila, Israel is a nice Jewish neighborhood for them.

And, when Brits refer to Pakistanis as Pakis, let's agree that that is a pejorative term that reflects less than great concern about them as Brits. So, Palestineans in the minds of many Americans are Arabs that are a generation or two away from a lifestyle far different than a British lifestyle.

Perhaps, if I was an Israeli citizen, I would have different feelings, since I would then vote in their elections, and there are far left parties that do commiserate with the Palestineans? But, do not play that game that as a Jewish American I do not get to be as conservative an American, as an other American, since I am Jewish.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 01:21 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
And, when Brits refer to Pakistanis as Pakis, let's agree that that is a pejorative term that reflects less than great concern about them as Brits.

Only racists use that term, racists and George W Bush. You really know nothing about the world outside your own back yard.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Very funny.

He has recently asked if he can make comments during the lesson. Little Shecky Torquemada... After I explain why control of Jerusalem was pivotal among three major religions - and expounded on the Christian perspective, namely Jerusalem as site of Jesus' crucifixion, Shecky raises his hand and intones: "They shouldn't have done that.

But, he was quiet as we discussed Jews' and Muslims' claims, so all in all - she dodges bullet another day.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:10 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Very funny.

I was (and am) being dead serious. No group who prays to a dead human for help and supports a hierarchy of child-molesting priests is Christian in any fashion whatsoever.

Cycloptichorn
Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Lash wrote:

Very funny.

I was (and am) being dead serious. No group who prays to a dead human for help and supports a hierarchy of child-molesting priests is Christian in any fashion whatsoever.

Cycloptichorn

Who was a dead human? If you are alluding to Catholicism, they tend to ask a saint for intercession, meaning bring the message/prayer to Jesus. It is all quite formalized. I do not think it is a strict "open door policy" like Evangelicals? I could be wrong. My religious teaching is really limited.

But, I do believe the emphasis in Protestantism is on a personal relationship with Jesus, while Catholicism emphasizes that one is part of "a church" that goes back to Peter. Sort of like the difference in being an employee of IBM or a small neighborhood business. In one, one never sees the CEO, in the other, one sees the owner every day. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:16 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
By the way, Sofia (Lash) is teaching medieval European history. Comments about other nations and other times are really not germane.

Setanta's last post.

Quote:
How is Tibet being destroyed? More specifically, do you allege that the Tibetans were, as serfs of the Buddhist monasteries, better off then than they were after the Chinese invasion in 1950? In fact, the "rest of the world" seems to very uncritically buy the line of bullshit of the Dalai Lama and his toadies.

Why doesn't anyone ever call this hypocrite on his stunning hypocrisy?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 09:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I can't argue with that - but Little Johnny and the sweet little Catholic girl would be horrified.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:22 pm
@Lash,
A strange, and exquisitely ironic, turn of events (and stated positions) on a thread nominally focused on religious bigotry and correcting the intolerance of a misbehaving seventh grader. Perhaps the adults here aren't too far from that themselves. Who will correct them?