Religious bigotry in seventh grade class room

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:41 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
As you well know, the point is that YOU don't back up YOUR claims.

Why oh why, doesn't anyone call this mother of all hypocrites on his stunning hypocrisy?

He sometimes even does it in the same post.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:33 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I won't be playing your idiotic games, Joe. As you well know, the point is that YOU don't back up YOUR claims.

I back up those claims that need to be backed up. For instance, when I claimed that the Arians believed that Jesus was divine, I provided a link to my source. I'll just add that you didn't provide a source for your contrary claim. But that's OK, I'm not running a tally or anything.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for you to explain Socinian christology to me. In particular, you haven't explained what this means:

Quote:
"For Socinus, Christ was the Logos, but he denied His pre-existence; He was the Word of God as being His interpreter (interpres divinae voluntatis). The passages from St. John which present the Word as the medium of creation were explained by Socinus of regeneration only. At the same time Christ was miraculously begotten: He was a perfect man, He was the appointed mediator, but He was not God, only deified man."

You apparently think this means that Socinians don't believe Jesus was divine. Frankly, I can't figure out what it means, but if you have any insights I'd be delighted if you'd share them.
Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
I've already linked my claims, now you're peddling bullshit. Many sources online describe both Arians and Socinians as having a nontrinitarian christology. To any reasonable speaker of English, that means they didn't consider your boy Jesus to be god. Get over it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:19 pm
It's interesting that even in a thread where the discussion is elevated (?) to a seemingly high level of scholastics, there is always room for low brow insults.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I've already linked my claims, now you're peddling bullshit. Many sources online describe both Arians and Socinians as having a nontrinitarian christology. To any reasonable speaker of English, that means they didn't consider your boy Jesus to be god. Get over it.

So a belief in the trinity is a prerequisite for a belief in the divinity of Jesus? Really? Says who?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 08:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's interesting that even in a thread where the discussion is elevated (?) to a seemingly high level of scholastics, there is always room for low brow insults.

That's certainly the pattern.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 09:58 am
You recently accused me of bating people, Joe (Oh, the hypocrisy) but that's about all you do these days. I told you i'm not going to play any more of your word games. I haven't convinced you, and you surely have not convinced me. I'll leave it at that. I know that having the last word is very, very important to you. So i leave you to that. I haven't given up on the thread, but i'm done with you.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I know that having the last word is very, very important to you. So i leave you to that.

Zymurgy!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 08:44 pm
@IRFRANK,
Actually, what I wrote isn't quite fair since no where near the entire group of members engaging in this discussion have descended into crass bickering.

Some folks seem have skins so thin you can see their neurotic souls cringing in their chests.
0 Replies