As

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:04 am
I cannot figure out this:

As = because of?
Or
As = when?

Context:

The embryonic stem cell, a holy grail for cell and developmental biologists, has become the subject of a more controversial quest over the last few years as some policymakers have clamored to ban its use and alternative sources of stem cells have been uncovered. Scientists have found non-embryonic stem cells in a variety of tissues, including bone marrow and brain.

PS: Uncovered = discovered?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 545 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:09 am
As does sometimes mean "because," it sometimes means "when." It is also most noticeable in the breach, rather than the observance, in similes. An example would be: "This beer tastes flat, as did that other one." (correct usage), but often rendered in the American language thus: "This beer tastes flat, like that other one." It can also mean "for"--above, i wrote "An example would be," but i also could have written "As an example,"--as you can see, as is a busy little word.

Yes, uncovered and discovered can mean the same thing. To "dis-cover," after all, means to uncover.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:44 pm
I think the best definition would be "since" in the above case.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:28 am
Thanks Setanta.

Hi SCoates, as = since? Since = whatt? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:33 pm
Are you implying that since is the same as because? Why, I never!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:49 pm
I guess your definition for the "since" is:

From then until now or between then and now.

Right? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 07:51 pm
Hmm... there could be some basis to such an argument. But no... alas my answer was based on ignorance. Sometimes I'm positive I've thought something out thuroughly until I come back to face it the following day.
0 Replies