Kerry Sticks to Claim of World Support; reporter erred

suzy

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:38 pm
I agree with John Webb.
I also believe that what Kerry said is quite likely true; however, he should have kept his mouth shut.
Of course people are gonna want to know "who" and of course, he can't say who, since those people still have to work with this admin at least until January. I don't blame him for touting it, but I'll bet he's regretting it. I can guess a few who may have said that. Any bets?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:25 am
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:27 am
As an avowed liberal, I am not entirely certain that these "revelations" either qualify as something newsworthy or shed Kerry in a better light. The fact remains that John Kerry claimed he had the support of several foriegn leaders, and then refused to name those leaders. Neither one of the articles changes this fact.

His reasons - namely that identifying his supporters would "betray confidences" - is a fairly plausible explanation. After all, those foriegn leaders have to deal with George Bush, and outrightly stating that they hope he does not get re-elected would certainly effect thier relationship. So, it is plausible that foriegn leaders have informed Kerry they support him, and that those divulgences were given in confidence.

Kerry was trying to draw attention to the way that Bush's policies have alientated us from the rest of the world:
John Kerry wrote:
I stand by my statement. The point is not the leaders. What's important is that this administration's foreign policy is not making us as safe as we can be in the world."

In that respect, he is absolutely correct. It is a well known fact that Bush policies have divided the world against us. Pointing this out is a legitimate attack against the Bush administration.

Particularly amusing is the quote from White House Press Secretary Scott McLellan:
Quote:
Either he is straightforward and states who they are, or the only conclusion one can draw is that he is making it up to attack the president.

No, that is not the only conclusion one can draw.

The fact that conservatives claim it is only demonstrates thier utter inability to think objectively. As outlined above, there is a plausible explanation for why Kerry hasn't divulged his supposed supporters. Sure, Kerry's refusal may be enough to convince conservatives that he is lying, but what of us with working nervous systems? How are we to decide?

In any case, whether or not a reporter misconstrued the word "more" for "foriegn" is utterly irrelevent.

I find it probable that Kerry is telling the truth. I find his explanation for not divulging his supporters to be reasonable. I also find the Bush Administrations argument that his refusal to name sources indicates he is lying to be completely retarded. In any case, the larger issue at hand - and the one which is worthy of further examination - is how Bush's policies have affected our relationship with the world.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:30 am
Yep!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:51 am
I guess I can go along with ILZ on this one. Plausible.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:26 am
Whomever wins the elections, be it Kerry or Bush, there are politicians in the British Government who will proclaim that they always secretly supported the victor.

I believe it is what is known as diplomacy ..... or less kindly as the words of fair-weather friends ..... or the best politicians anyone can buy. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:47 am
an accusation?
What accusation did Kerry make about gw?

Kerry needs to get his team together ASAP. The lies of Shrubco need to be stated to the American public over and over. Kerry also needs to start saying what he will do in simple short paragraphs for the simpleton, sheep of America.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 07:10 am
It looks like that most people don't think that he made it up. Which is a good thing. It was a misguided move to draw attention to the fact that Bush's go it alone policies around the world do not work to bring about peaceful solutions to problems. At first I thought, "boy, I can't wait for this story to die down." But now I think the longer it goes on the sillier it will all seem.

I think the biggest worry that Kerry has got is Bush's add about the no vote on sending more money for Iraq. I doubt hardly any of that money has been spent on body armor in first place but still it looks bad.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 09:29 am
revel wrote:
...Bush's go it alone policies around the world...

Can you list a few of those for me? I'd like to look into them. Thanks.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:44 am
scrat, his decision to go it alone with Iraq for starters. Admittedly others "nations of the willing" joined him after the fact, but he made the decision alone regardless of who was with him. Had we had more support from countries that do not need our support in order to support us in Iraq we wouldn't be stuck with the huge bill that was supposed to pay for itself.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:46 am
His rejections of the ABM treaty, the Kyoto Protocol, etc...
And lets not forget the phrase so beloved of you rightards:
"You are either with us or you are a terrorist!"
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:56 pm
revel wrote:
scrat, his decision to go it alone with Iraq for starters. Admittedly others "nations of the willing" joined him after the fact, but he made the decision alone regardless of who was with him.

Revel - When you refer to taking action as part of a coalition of over 40 nations as "going it alone" you are attempting to use words to describe things they do not mean. "Alone" means "alone", not "without the blessing of the people I wish he'd had".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
Scrat, your bogus "coalition" argumet has been zapped on another thread (again). Do you really believe in this "coalition,: or is this another example of yourt effort to avoid contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:12 pm
I am sure other foriegn leaders want Kerry to win. Leaders like Kim Jong-il, Kadhafi, Castro, Chirac, and Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. I bet even some ex-leaders like Hussien and Jean-Bertrand Aristide would like kerry to win so they can get back to business as usual... I'd even bet Osama wants Kerry to win so he can relax for awhile before getting back to business...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:16 pm
True dat.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:35 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0awAAAO4gBfUDethcWl3Xkn8!Zl7yrJ3tqPxBourrPRp6FmoGNJ3Xx!Si9t2W5aO5zniCZl8beRbNQp3IXs7WGZALOz1KD5!e0b*5CJLmI!H!ehcKE50e6jF5tmn3loMv9V4!80RDI88UVE8c8P6tPG1Q!KDg7ICG/Osama%20for%20Kerry%20in%20'04.gif
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:37 pm
cjhsa wrote:
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0awAAAO4gBfUDethcWl3Xkn8!Zl7yrJ3tqPxBourrPRp6FmoGNJ3Xx!Si9t2W5aO5zniCZl8beRbNQp3IXs7WGZALOz1KD5!e0b*5CJLmI!H!ehcKE50e6jF5tmn3loMv9V4!80RDI88UVE8c8P6tPG1Q!KDg7ICG/Osama%20for%20Kerry%20in%20'04.gif

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:31 pm
You guys haven't been reading the news:

Quote:
The statement said it supported President Bush in his reelection campaign, and would prefer him to win in November rather than the Democratic candidate John Kerry, as it was not possible to find a leader "more foolish than you (Bush), who deals with matters by force rather than with wisdom."

In comments addressed to Bush, the group said:

"Kerry will kill our nation while it sleeps because he and the Democrats have the cunning to embellish blasphemy and present it to the Arab and Muslim nation as civilization."

"Because of this we desire you (Bush) to be elected."

al-Qaeda Endorses Bush

Now that's Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:33 pm
cjhsa
cjhsa, your choice of "humor" illustrates your unfunny bad taste.

Ditto to McGentrix.

BBB
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:28 pm
Hey, Bumble, they're entitled to their satire.

Lord knows there's thousands of pictures of the Pretzledent posted in these fora making an ass of himself.

But the fact is they are wrong about who 'tha terrists' support.
0 Replies