Partially collapsed lung

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:16 pm
My fiance was just diagnosed with a partially collapsed lung on the left side. The ER Dr. we saw gave him narco for pain and sent him home, saying it should be checked again in 6 months. This was two days ago, and he is still having problems with pain and pressure, and can't lay flat on his back. He went back to work tonight (he is a cook at a nursing home, which is generally pretty low stress) and a few hours in he was having more pain and difficulty breathing. How long should it normally take for the lung to inflate on its own? He is 31 with past heart problems and an occasional smoker.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 869 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:22 pm
@cstull1217,
If he's in pain and having difficulty breathing he needs to go back to his doctor now. Especially since you say he's only 31 years old with past heart problems and a smoker.

cstull1217

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:29 pm
@jcboy,
Thank you. I am trying to convince him of that, but he is stubborn lol.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 04:43 am
@cstull1217,
If it were a loved one of mine, I would not suggest. I would take him by the hand and drag him to the doctor. Those symptoms sound serious enough to me, that a professional second look is not only advisable, but absolutely necessary.

When you are at the doctor's, you can ask him as to what to expect in terms of pain, healing time, etc.

Quote:
The ER Dr. we saw gave him narco for pain and sent him home, saying it should be checked again in 6 months.

Six months!!!! In the first place, the ER is only a stopgap. It is a place to go during an emergency, when your regular doc cannot be accessed. The ERs that I have gone to always recommend a follow up with your regular doctor.

I also think that it is unconscionable to leave your fiance with his symptoms, telling him to come back in six months. He needs an IMMEDIATE follow up!
0 Replies

cstull1217

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 03:39 pm
@cstull1217,
Thank you both for your input. I had him convinced to go to the ER today, and suddenly the pain and pressure went away, and he has been feeling great all day. He has an apt on Wednesday with his Dr, but we are thinking that the lung has re inflated itself. But thank you, its good to know I wasn't just being overcautious.
0 Replies

amygarside

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 05:52 am
@cstull1217,
Maybe he needs himself to be thoroughly checked out especially since he is into smoking as well.
0 Replies