Root canal or pull the tooth?

mismi

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:16 pm
@Mame,
I had a root canal to a tooth where the nerve had died. A few years later because I clench my teeth when stressed I got an abcess in that same tooth. They ended up pulling it. Mine is in the back...you would never know it's gone. Hated spending all that money and then ending up pulling the thing anyway.
Izzie

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 06:00 pm
@mismi,
YEuch.

Can't talk about dentist coz... this Friday and all that caboodle. Nasty dentist. (Deb, had same with roots 25 yrs ago... been scared of dentist since, root snapped and ended up coming through top of mouth which took a while...and most unpleasant - but I didn't have surgery but needed to stay in hospital due to bleeding). Verra nasty. Do hope you recover very soon>

Just had to say MAME... if you have an abcess, rinse your mouth hourly with warm/hottish salty water and swill around the tooth. This cleans the infection and oozing. Please do this... it is recommended by most dentists.

<before the wise cracks - always spit, no swallowing the salty stuff> Very Happy
Ceili

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 11:30 pm
I grew up in a city that put fluoride in the water. I've basically only had monthly cleanings. Other than a broken front tooth and thusly only one root canal, and being born with a freckle in the other tooth... I've been pretty lucky. I would love to get a veneer/s though.
My only thought on a missing a tooth is eating steak and such. Only one side of the jaw will get a workout. You might want to visit a chiropractor after. Jaw pain sucks, trust me.
Mame

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 07:13 am
@Izzie,
Good idea about the salt water, Iz... I will do that!

How are you, pretty lady?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:14 pm
@Mame,
Without having read all of the replies:

It depends...

If all of your other teeth are in good shape have the root canal.

If you're fighting a losing battle, pull the thing and find your way to dentures fastened "permanently" via implants.

Dentists want to "save your teeth" no matter what the cost and in the days of slippery wooden dentures this was a good advice, but now, they can can give you a good set of immovable (for 15-20 years) choppers at far less of the cost to heroically attempt to save each and every one of your rotten teeth.

You can spend $50,000 on saving your teeth and still have pain and no satisfaction.

Dentists, by and large, are quacks.

Go for the cheapest fix if the problem is major.

0 Replies

Mame

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 09:19 pm
@Ceili,
I never had a filling until I was 38. I grew up with fluoride in the water, too. I still only have 4 or 5 fillings, and for years the acid in my saliva ate the tartar, plaque, whatever and I never had to get my teeth cleaned until I was 40 or so.

So, I have strong teeth, but you know... ageing... menopause... whatever.

It happens.

The dentist told me I could have fallen and hit this tooth when I was 12 and the nerve could have died and suddenly, saliva bacteria got in and created this problem. Apparently it happens all the time.

So here we are, with a root canal issue. If I had dental insurance, I would definitely try to save the tooth, but not for $3000 for the last tooth.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:33 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I never had a filling until I was 38. I grew up with fluoride in the water, too. I still only have 4 or 5 fillings, and for years the acid in my saliva ate the tartar, plaque, whatever and I never had to get my teeth cleaned until I was 40 or so.

So, I have strong teeth, but you know... ageing... menopause... whatever.

It happens.

The dentist told me I could have fallen and hit this tooth when I was 12 and the nerve could have died and suddenly, saliva bacteria got in and created this problem. Apparently it happens all the time.

So here we are, with a root canal issue. If I had dental insurance, I would definitely try to save the tooth, but not for $3000 for the last tooth.

If you never got your teeth cleaned until you were 40, you didn't have clean or strong teeth. Counting on your saliva to rid you of tartar and plaque was a fool's wish.

You are clearly stuck in the cycle of teeth guilt.

You, like millions of others, didn't take pristine care of your teeth and alloweed pain to tel you when you needed to go to the dentist.

The problem with teeth is that once there is pain, there are big problems.

So what? Why should the state of your teeth say anything about you as a person?

If, in your heart, you think your teeth are solid, pay for the root canal.

dlowan

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
TEETH as part of Manichaean moral absolutism?!

Only the politically most extreme!
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:15 am
@dlowan,
What the f*ck are you talking about?

You know, it's not all about politics.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 06:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I went for a check up each year (I had a dental plan all my life until just recently). I didn't NEED to have them cleaned, or I would have - I was in the dentist's office, wasn't I.

Generally, my teeth are fine, thank you very much. My daughter has the same kind of teeth.
dlowan

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:05 am
@Mame,
I think no tartar is genetic? That's what my dentist said back when I asked. I am lucky enough not to have a trace of it, either....thank heavens!
Mame

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:35 am
@dlowan,
I'm not sure if it's genetic... she has my teeth and my son has his father's (soft or something, riddled with fillings at any rate).
dlowan

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 06:22 pm
@Mame,
Something to do with acidity? I think the strength of the teeth is not connected to whether there is tartar or not.....but not having to have that **** scraped off is a blessing as far as I am concerned!
Mame

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 07:24 pm
@dlowan,
It's funny, but I think the strength of the teeth is based on when you get them as infants. It's only a theory of mine, but I got my teeth late and they're good, my daughter got hers late, and they're excellent. My son got his early and they're crap. My older sister got hers early and they're crap, too. I'd love to find out if this theory holds any water, but that's what I think.

The tartar/plaque/saliva thing is separate and special. We were the lucky ones. Hopefully, after this hormonal crap, it'll return to what it was.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 03:53 am
But who wouldn't rather take a few harmless suppliments rather than face a root canal?
0 Replies

Dentist20

Fri 15 Mar, 2013 12:15 am
@Mame,
You have to go for dentist. Who treat you problem bitterly and give you best suggestion.
roger

Fri 15 Mar, 2013 01:38 am
@Dentist20,
What a remarkable coincidence. We were just having a discussion on expert advice.
dlowan

Fri 15 Mar, 2013 08:11 pm
@roger,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 07:24 am
Well, I had the thing extracted two weeks ago and was in fair bit of pain and discomfort for a whole week. I think mainly because the bastard jammed the needle with the freezing into my gum so nastily. I think he was pissed that he didn't make any money.

I did rinse with salt water and didn't spit it out but let it fall out, head over the sink. No spitting! No sucking through a straw. I was careful to eat soft foods for a week so less brushing on that side and lost a few lbs into the bargain. Didn't get dry socket! Now everything is hunky dory.

I don't know exactly how much an implant would be but don't think I'll bother. I don't care if they shift, and don't think they will. You can't see the empty space, no matter how wide I open my mouth.

If I had dental coverage, I would have gone for the root canal, but since I don't, I'll spend the $2500 or so I've saved on travel Smile
dlowan

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 07:39 am
@Mame,
Glad you're ok!