What sort of "God" would you like ?

Terry

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:04 am
IQ
Scoates, IQ scales have been long established based on standardized tests (Stanford-Binet and Weschler, among others). The quotient was originally mental age/chronological age x 100 (which obviously does not work for adults!) where the correlation between test scores and age was based on averages for the population of children originally tested.

The average IQ in the US is now 24 points higher than the average IQ in 1918, when the IQ in question is determined by scores on standard IQ tests. If everybody's test scores improve, the only way to make 100 the average again is to renormalize the scale (as was done for SAT tests a few years ago). If you don't change the scale, the average IQ does indeed show an increase of about 3 points per decade.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:08 am
I still think that supports my statment. Even by your own equation if the average IQ is above 100, then indeed the scale needs adjusting.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:11 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
None! God is not needed. The planet's occupants should take responsibility for their lives, not thanking God nor blaming God for anything.

Taking responsibility for our lives does not alleviate inherent problems. A god could dramatically improve the lives of billions of people by correcting basic design flaws, if it had the ability and will to do so which the Judeo-Christian God apparently does not.

If a God were available who could heal broken minds and bodies, control weather, etc. and you had to make the choice for the entire planet of whether to accept or reject her help, would you demand that the rest of humanity fend for themselves even though they would suffer needlessly due to things entirely beyond their control?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:12 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
None! God is not needed. The planet's occupants should take responsibility for their lives, not thanking God nor blaming God for anything.

BBB

I completly agree, couldn't say it better myself! You hit the nail right on the head BBB!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:16 am
Scoates, the scale does not "need" to be adjusted. Adjusting it is merely a way to keep the average at an arbitrary number, and renormalizing the scale every time you get a deviation from the previous average makes it difficult to compare IQs between populations.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:18 am
That's just dumb (forgive, for I have a friendly smile on my face when I say that). It's not taking a lot of thought for the future. If you could choose what kind of god to have, it's ridiculous to choose none. Especially with thoughts of an afterlife. There could be obvious benefits to designing a god. It would be foolish to squander those.
0 Replies

Thunder Cloud

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 09:14 am
If God is the father of humankind, he likely looks quite ordinary and people would not notice him. Jesus was easily noticed because the "wise men" pointed him out.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 09:30 am
Craven, I LIKE your invented God.
sounds kind of familiar though. :wink:
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 05:12 pm
Having started this thread I perhaps have a duty to voice an opinion.

It seems to me that a "supreme being" having supposedly "created the universe" should have the responsibility to maintain it with compassion. This implies the power to provide for

(1) an end to "suffering" based on either predation or infantile human belief systems,
and
(2) a choice of "planes of existence" in which earthbound individuality could be one of many.

I concede that this view may be Buddhist inspired, but no "need" for such a "creator" is implied.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 05:48 pm
I think my god shall not dump snow on the pathways of those who have bursitis.
sigh
0 Replies

Thunder Cloud

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:25 pm
fresco wrote:
Having started this thread I perhaps have a duty to voice an opinion.

It seems to me that a "supreme being" having supposedly "created the universe" should have the responsibility to maintain it with compassion. This implies the power to provide for

(1) an end to "suffering" based on either predation or infantile human belief systems,
and
(2) a choice of "planes of existence" in which earthbound individuality could be one of many.

I concede that this view may be Buddhist inspired, but no "need" for such a "creator" is implied.

Suffering is basically a product of this world itself. The plane of existence is one that humankind chose for itself. God wants people to understand their imperfect nature and desire Salvation. It is up to them however, but God and Angels will pick and choose whose spirit will go where, unless people make their minds up to do that which is most correct.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:08 pm
One that isn't fake.

One that doesn't have to leave books behind that are written by men instructing humans on how to behave. (more clear and direct if it was a sort of moralistic g-d.)

One whose transcripts don't attempt to corrupt the study of the earth (science) or encourage people to kill each other. I want transcripts that encourage basic human rights and personal responsibility.

I would want a g-d that wouldn't become petulant if not prayed to. It would be a self-confident g-d, uneeding of constant praise.

In short, I would not want any artificial man-made g-ds that don't benefit humanity. If there was a real g-d, that would be a different story. It would probably be nothing like what humans imagine and then harness to further their earthy pursuits.
0 Replies

Thunder Cloud

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 08:11 pm
The "books" were written by men...not God. They were only inspired by God.

The God that has been fabricated by many is a fake, but the real God is not.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 10:15 pm
Thunder Cloud wrote:
The "books" were written by men...not God. They were only inspired by God.

The God that has been fabricated by many is a fake, but the real God is not.

Inspired by what g-d? How could g-d have inspired them? Did he whisper in their ears?

Have you seen this g-d? Touched it? Smelled it? How do you know what it wants of you and of mankind? And who are you to be the messenger of the g-d? What are your qualifications as a messenger on behalf of humanity?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:55 am
Thunder Cloud,

<<suffering is a product of this world itself>>

...so according to you, "predation and infantile belief systems are avoidable" ?....

I don't like this malicious God of yours who desires people to discover the "imperfections" he built into the system.

Hence this competition !
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:59 am
Craven has a nice little POV, could your god have a sister who looks like Silvia Saint and likes Australian beer (and men) too please!
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:45 am
My god will love us all the way the real God does. The only thing I would change is I would install a telephone line between Earth and God.

Something tells me He might always be engaged, though...

Maybe I'll stick to prayer!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:01 pm
Seeker, if there is a real God who "loves" us all, why do you suppose that he causes/allows so much pain and suffering in the world?

If I loved someone, I would be kind to them and help them, not hurt them or plague them with disease, famine, parasites, natural disasters, and mental problems that they had no control over.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:06 am
Terry wrote:
She should possess wisdom, kindness, and the ability to do whatever needed to be done. She should be able to read minds and hearts and have the emotional maturity to love all beings regardless of whether they deserved it or loved her back. She should be intelligent, creative, honest, open, and fair. She should be willing and able to communicate directly to all beings. She should have a good sense of humor.

God is all that. God's wisdom and love is infinite. God knows absolutely everything about us, knows our every need and thought. God loves every one of us more than anyone can possibly comprehend. As for communication, it's perfectly possible to literally feel the love of God, even though we cannot communicate in words or thoughts (at least not while in the body).

Terry wrote:
I would like her to fix all of the design flaws in human beings so that every person would have a fully functioning brain and body, raise the average IQ by at least 20 points, eliminate parasites and disease causing organisms, send an equitable amount of rainfall to every country (no droughts, no floods), avert hurricanes and natural disasters, provide a guardian angel/guiding spirit to each person, and reduce testosterone levels so that men would not have the urge to start wars and assault women and children.

It would also be great if she could bless us with perfect health over a long and happy lifetime, extrasensory powers, the ability to travel instantly through time and space and to recognize Truth when we see it.

Personally I think life in the flesh is a learning experience, designed to help us grow spiritually. Hardships often facilitate spiritual growth in that people during difficult times more often turn away from worldly things, and instead direct there attention towards God for hope and comfort.

Terry wrote:
Seeker, if there is a real God who "loves" us all, why do you suppose that he causes/allows so much pain and suffering in the world?

If I loved someone, I would be kind to them and help them, not hurt them or plague them with disease, famine, parasites, natural disasters, and mental problems that they had no control over.

We have been given free will by God. A person may use it to choose good (the will of God), or abuse it for evil. God never overrides anyone's free will, which is the primary reason why so much evil exists in the world.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:20 am
Derevon wrote:
Terry wrote:
"]Seeker, if there is a real God who "loves" us all, why do you suppose that he causes/allows so much pain and suffering in the world?

We have been given free will by God. A person may use it to choose good (the will of God), or abuse it for evil. God never overrides anyone's free will, which is the primary reason why so much evil exists in the world.

Just what I would say. Even things like disease could, I believe, be traced to some pollution humans have caused or something. I think we are far to eager to blame God.
0 Replies