IF YOU READ 1 NEWS SOURCE A DAY, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:37 pm
I realize you may not be comfortable with limiting yourself to one choice. In fact, your final decision will probably be a compromise. However, the thought process involved in making this decision could be the basis for an interesting discussion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,248 • Replies: 23
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:40 pm
The Washington Post - love that newspaper. When I lived in D.C. thought I did crave a reguar home town paper and always asked my husband to bring me the local papers in his business travel. Finally one day I realized politics was the home town news in the D.C. Metro area.
0 Replies

polymermom

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:53 pm
Who can possibly consider TheOnion a "news source"? Its atire!
0 Replies

polymermom

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:54 pm
OOps\, that should read "its satire!" (I'm not a typist<g>.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:16 pm
It's satire, but it's based on real news.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:20 pm
There is always truth in satire or it would not be satire I think.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:05 am
I like the Boston Globe very much. I grew up on it.

I also like the Wash. Post very much. I read it often on line.

If I had to choose one source of news?
The NY Times. The others are not even close.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 08:42 am
Polymermom, you can edit your own posts. :-D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:45 am
Hey! You left out the San Jose Mercury News. This paper always wins many awards from the media awards committee every year. They're the ones that revealed the secret contracts that gov Davis made with the energy companies, and lost the taxpayers over six billion dollars. c.i.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:50 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hey! You left out the San Jose Mercury News.

CI, A2K polls only allow 10 choices. I guess that would go under "Other," along with heaps of great international news sources not included.

(edit): I voted 'The Onion.'
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:55 am
NYT!

Although The Onion would be choice #2. It's "America's Finest News Source", after all.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:58 am
Well, if it had to be just one, I'd pick the WSJ. though Internet runs a close second. I find The Journal covers major National and Global news fairly objectively. Not infrequently, a WSJ article will lead me to other publications or media for further research. Of the others, The NYT, The Chicago Tribune, The Washington Post and The Times of London can be considered "Global" papers, in that all have large Foreign Bureaus, huge Foriegn Subscriber Lists and are widely available at commercial newstands throughout the world. Additionally, all are referrenced as source for articles in many other papers. All in all, however, I find The WSJ pretty adequate a source for major news. I'm glad there ARE other options, however.

timber
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 10:01 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hey! You left out the San Jose Mercury News. This paper always wins many awards from the media awards committee every year. They're the ones that revealed the secret contracts that gov Davis made with the energy companies, and lost the taxpayers over six billion dollars. c.i.

That's my fault...I meant to cut the Onion and leave San J. As to the choices, they were defined by the members in a prior thread.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:09 pm
I voted for CNN although I usually go BBC, with the choices listed, I would definately go CNN.
Well, if I just wanted to laugh maybe Id go Onion Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:10 am
Monger, I did vote "other." c.i.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:20 am
Well, good on ya mate. Cool
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 12:29 pm
I know we have a different slant on things down under but since I have been on the Net I have browsed all the available news sources I can find and have settled on the Sydney Morning Herald. It seems to give more detail on the major issues and more of the interesting "snippets" that I often don't see anywhere else.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 12:48 pm
eve, I appreciated your comment; especially since you provided some details. Most Americans probably don't see a need to spend time with the foreign press. Canada has the dubious distinction of being considered almost American and Mexico has not yet garnered our respect (read: don't waste your time reading Mexico papers.) Historically, our isolated position on the globe has freed everyday citizens from daily contact with individuals from a foreign country as well as provided a natural barrier to invasion.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:18 pm
If I can use only one source, I shall have no alternative to choosing the Israeli online news. They cover not only international events, but domestic as well, and we have too many news inside the country, part of them being so important that it is impossible to skip over them.
But if my choice list is broadened to 2 sources, I would add the "NYT online edition".
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:24 pm
Canon City Daily Record, it keeps me up to date on PTA meetings, dui arrests and the school lunch menu.
0 Replies