Need to identify the Subject

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:21 am
Would someone be willing to help me with a grammar question. I need to identify the Subject(s) of the following sentence - "We would like to implement a new program in the future so we will need to record the customer name."
If I could get help with this sentence I feel I will have a better understanding of this concept for further examples.
Thank-you in advance for any help you can give.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,207 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:31 am
@scaredofgrammar,
It's "We"
scaredofgrammar

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:43 am
@dalehileman,
I was afraid of that. Thanks very much for the help!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:45 am
@scaredofgrammar,
Happy to oblige, Gram. However, why "afraid"

Edited to remark that you should indeed be afraid of input from a rank amateur such as I (also "scared…..") and so let's hope we'll hear from someone more knowledgeable

It would seem upon further examination that there are two subjects, both "we," but I'm not sure just how one distinguishes them as principal, subordinate, dependent, etc

I'll ask my No. 2 Son, of course in more recent contact with stuff like this
0 Replies

scaredofgrammar

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 11:56 am
@dalehileman,
Could I ask another one? In this sentence is there more than one Subject?
"My clients make an appointment to come into the showroom to view the merchandise we have to offer."
I would say the Subject is "clients". Is there another one?
Andrew H

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:09 pm
@scaredofgrammar,
I agree with you - there is only one subject: "clients". However, while I do a fair bit of writing, and aspire to write well, I am no expert.

I can see why one might think that there is a second subject - the "we" that offers the merchandise. However, I speculate that the entire phrase "the merchandise we have to offer" should be thought of a kind of kind of compound object of the verb "view". What will the clients view? Answer: They will view merchandise that has the property of being in a state of being offered.
0 Replies

TheParser

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 05:15 am
@scaredofgrammar,
Hello,

According to my books, your sentence would be said to have two subjects.

1. "Clients" is the MAIN subject.

2. "We" is the subject of the adjective / relative clause "(that) we have to offer" (it modifies "merchandise").

James
0 Replies