Give Martha's Cell Your Special Touch

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:25 pm
http://www.tampatrib.com/Baylife/index.shtml

http://reports.tbo.com/reports/marthacontest.html

I am really appalled by this "contest" that was dreamed up by some writer in my home town paper, the Tampa Tribune.

Whatever Martha did, she is paying for it. Personally, I think that if she were not a powerful woman, it would have not gone so hard on her. Although what she did was wrong, (I know that she was convicted of the lying, and not the insider trading), these sorts of antics are done with impunity all the time.

It seems to me that the media relish in the downfall of a powerful woman. What really ticks me off, is that the writer of this "contest" appears to be a woman, too.

What do you think of this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 777 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:42 pm
Tacky. Tacky, tacky, tacky--but not illegal.

Martha Stewart fought hard to become a Domestic Guru and an Arbitrator of American Taste. She devoted considerable energy to becoming a public figure. The present lampooning orgy is part of the "Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword" way of the world.

The contest uses Martha Stuart's name and fame--but unless she goes seeking humiliation, she will probably not be inconvenienced personally.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:55 pm
Re: Give Martha's Cell Your Special Touch
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I think that if she were not a powerful woman, it would have not gone so hard on her. Although what she did was wrong, (I know that she was convicted of the lying, and not the insider trading), these sorts of antics are done with impunity all the time.

I agree with ya Phoenix. I saw this bit on the news on the day the trial finished where a comment was made that what Martha did really didn't hurt anyone, not like what happened in the Enron scandal. Whatever happened to those weasel Enron execs anyhow?

I don't think the fact that lying is done all the time should be an excuse in this (or any) situation, but I also don't think they should be making an example out of her. It just seems the time, money and headlines are out of proportion with the crime.

Mind you, in the end, she's likely still going to be a wealthy woman. Not as wealthy as before, and definitely not as powerful, but still wealthy enough to not have any worries. So in that regard, I can't feel TOO sorry for her.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:05 pm
What did happen to those Enron creeps? Plus, what a waste of taxpayer money - the trial & then if she spends time in some prison. Couldn't she just do some type of community service.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 03:16 pm
That's been my mantra from day 1...as long as Ken Lay walks the streets, so should Martha Stewart.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:58 pm
I saw this coming. It was inevitable I guess. I think she was punished for a lot of reasons, not neccessarily just the case. I don't think it was fair. We'll see what the sentencing will be, I'm cursious if a judge will throw the book at her in terms of a jailterm.

I doubt if Ken Lay will be charged until Bush is out of government.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:42 pm
Today we'll be decorating with license plates and empty cigarette boxes. It's a good thing.
0 Replies