The Gun Fight in Washington. Your opinons?

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:04 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
No. Not at all. There's just a lack of bollocks and it concedes you the field. Fannying about with mental health issues and stricter background checks and banning assault weapons and limiting ammo clips just lays an expense on the underlying population with no economic utility and thus creates more tension, anger and frustration.

Actually, the main problem with those proposals is that they are blatant violations of our rights.

spendius wrote:
With 300 million guns in circulation I fully understand your position.

My position is not based on fear of other guns.

spendius wrote:
With no guns in circulation your position is idiotic notwithstanding knives, dressing gown cords and subtle poisons.

There is nothing idiotic about supporting freedom.

spendius wrote:
The argument against the 2nd is that repealing it would start to move your killing and injury rate to European levels. Possibly not immediately.

No. Taking away guns would result in very little change to our homicide rates.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:05 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The government DEFINES what 'illegal' is. If the SC disagrees with you regarding the second amendment, it's you that's wrong, not them - by definition. It's just how our system works.

Cycloptichorn

Not exactly. The rulings of the Supreme Court certainly have the force of law.

But if they make an erroneous ruling, they are still the ones who are wrong, even though their erroneous ruling has the force of law.

We have no other body that is allowed to define what is and isn't an 'erroneous' ruling. You may have a personal opinion about it, but nobody gives a **** about that, so it's not relevant to a conversation about national policy.

Cycloptichorn

All Supreme's must abide by the Constitution, those that do not abide must be removed from the court.

Your argument is a Tautology - the Supremes DECIDE what the Constitution means; barring a gross violation carried out by all of them simultaneously, which has yet to happen in the history of our system, nobody is left to decide that they aren't abiding by the Constitution.

Cycloptichorn
oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:08 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Where oh where is this run away murder rate that we need to junk the 2 amendment over my friend?

so you think the 12000 or so gun homicides, 20000 gun suicides and 100000 gun injuries every year is just about right and we shouldn't do anything to try to decrease those numbers?

Whether someone is killed with a gun verses some other tool doesn't make a lot of difference. They are still dead even if they died from some other weapon.
spendius

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:09 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
what business does anyone have denying them their right to have a gun?

If he gets 50.01% of the voters to agree.

As an isolated individual he has no rights to deny anybody anything.

You have proclaimed a right on the basis of votes.

Hence, by your own logic, it's a hearts and minds battle settled by counting votes. At the moment you are bullying a minority. And will continue to do so as long as supporters of the 2nd are on the same side as you.

Which they obviously are.

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:
JTT wrote:
Specifically targeting civilians, as the US did and has done, numerous times, is a war crime.

Nonsense. The US has not targeted civilians in the past hundred years.

This from the ignorant semen slurper who doesn't even know when the US slaughtered a hundred thousand or a few hundred thousand Filipinos.

I'm too lazy to look it up.

And stop being gross.

JTT wrote:
Quote:
Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam [Hardcover]
Nick Turse

Book Description
Release date: January 15, 2013
Based on classified documents and first-person interviews, a startling history of the American war on Vietnamese civilians

Americans have long been taught that events such as the notorious My Lai massacre were isolated incidents in the Vietnam War, carried out by "a few bad apples." But as award‑winning journalist and historian Nick Turse demonstrates in this groundbreaking investigation, violence against Vietnamese noncombatants was not at all exceptional during the conflict. Rather, it was pervasive and systematic, the predictable consequence of orders to "kill anything that moves."

Drawing on more than a decade of research in secret Pentagon files and extensive interviews with American veterans and Vietnamese survivors, Turse reveals for the first time how official policies resulted in millions of innocent civilians killed and wounded. In shocking detail, he lays out the workings of a military machine that made crimes in almost every major American combat unit all but inevitable. Kill Anything That Moves takes us from archives filled with Washington's long-suppressed war crime investigations to the rural Vietnamese hamlets that bore the brunt of the war; from boot camps where young American soldiers learned to hate all Vietnamese to bloodthirsty campaigns like Operation Speedy Express, in which a general obsessed with body counts led soldiers to commit what one participant called "a My Lai a month."

Thousands of Vietnam books later, Kill Anything That Moves, devastating and definitive, finally brings us face‑to‑face with the truth of a war that haunts Americans to this day.

http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Anything-That-Moves-American/dp/0805086919

The same thing happened in Japan, Korea, Laos, Cambodia, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Indonesia, East Timor, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, ... .

All fiction.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The government DEFINES what 'illegal' is. If the SC disagrees with you regarding the second amendment, it's you that's wrong, not them - by definition. It's just how our system works.

Cycloptichorn

Not exactly. The rulings of the Supreme Court certainly have the force of law.

But if they make an erroneous ruling, they are still the ones who are wrong, even though their erroneous ruling has the force of law.

We have no other body that is allowed to define what is and isn't an 'erroneous' ruling.

That is incorrect. Until we have thought police in this country, I'm allowed to define it.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You may have a personal opinion about it, but nobody gives a **** about that, so it's not relevant to a conversation about national policy.

Cycloptichorn

You may personally not care if the Supreme Court makes incorrect rulings, but you do not speak for the rest of humanity. Other people do care, and are interested in hearing arguments as to why they got something wrong.
0 Replies

oralloy

@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I'm a retard. Ask any modern mathematician to define a retard.

No, you aren't stupid.

Your opposition to civil rights is rather horrific, but you aren't stupid.
oralloy

@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
H2O MAN wrote:
All Supreme's must abide by the Constitution, those that do not abide must be removed from the court.

Your argument is a Tautology - the Supremes DECIDE what the Constitution means;

No. Their job is to enforce the meaning that the Constitution already has.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
barring a gross violation carried out by all of them simultaneously, which has yet to happen in the history of our system, nobody is left to decide that they aren't abiding by the Constitution.

Cycloptichorn

I'm capable of deciding that they are not abiding by the Constitution. And upon reaching such a decision, the First Amendment protects my right to speak out against them.

Congress is also capable of reaching the same conclusions that I am. And the Constitution gives Congress the power to impeach Supreme Court justices.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:38 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

This is a meaningless statement.

Quote:
I'm capable of deciding that they are not abiding by the Constitution. And upon reaching such a decision, the First Amendment protects my right to speak out against them.

This is true, but then again, anyone can hold and voice any opinion they like. It doesn't make any difference when it comes to the application of the law.

Quote:
Congress is also capable of making the same decisions that I am. And the Constitution gives Congress the power to impeach Supreme Court justices.

This is true, but then again, Congress has never and likely will never use their impeachment power against a SC judge, simply for having a different opinion as to the meaning of the Constitution than you do.

Cycloptichorn
oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 06:44 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
If he gets 50.01% of the voters to agree.

As an isolated individual he has no rights to deny anybody anything.

You have proclaimed a right on the basis of votes.

Hence, by your own logic, it's a hearts and minds battle settled by counting votes. At the moment you are bullying a minority. And will continue to do so as long as supporters of the 2nd are on the same side as you.

Which they obviously are.

No. Number of voters has nothing to do with it. Our rights are protected by the Constitution no matter what the voters say.

I may well be bullying a majority even. But if so, too bad for that majority.

I'm an American. My rights are inviolate, and there is nothing that any majority can do about it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 07:09 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Frank Apisa is an outright liar.

You assert that so often, I am sure you think it to be true.

Putting aside the fact that you are constantly rude and degrading toward others in the forum...

...can you point to a couple of occasions where I have lied?

I'll settle for one.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 07:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

This is a meaningless statement.

No. The Constitution has a meaning that was intended by the people who wrote it (and intended by the people who subsequently amended it).

The only legitimate interpretations of the Constitution are those interpretations that comply with that intent.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

This is true, but then again, anyone can hold and voice any opinion they like. It doesn't make any difference when it comes to the application of the law.

Yes. I originally noted that the Supreme Court rulings had force of law.

But that does not mean they are automatically correct.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Congress is also capable of reaching the same conclusions that I am. And the Constitution gives Congress the power to impeach Supreme Court justices.

This is true, but then again, Congress has never and likely will never use their impeachment power against a SC judge, simply for having a different opinion as to the meaning of the Constitution than you do.

You make it sound like I'm the only one who is capable of determining that they are wrong. If the Supreme Court ever goes badly off the rails, my voice will be only one of many.

And Congress will impeach not because of me, but because the Congressmen themselves will object to what the Supreme Court is doing.
JTT

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 07:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Constitution has a meaning that was intended by the people who wrote it (and intended by the people who subsequently amended it).

and then intended by the people who subsequently amended it again, and then again and ... .

Quote:
The only legitimate interpretations of the Constitution are those interpretations that comply with that intent.

That's right. That intent is that of the people who are currently using the constitution. That's how it has always been.

Quote:
And Congress will impeach not because of me, but because the Congressmen themselves will object to what the Supreme Court is doing.

It seems that your civics classes were as badly taught as your grammar classes.
spendius

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:24 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Your opposition to civil rights is rather horrific,

I am opposed to civil rights and I don't trust anybody who stands upon such nebulous concepts. The only civil right that has any value is the natural one of a population to rise up against its rulers and string the buggers up. All other rights stem from the ruler's/ rulers' fear of that.

I discovered the dysfunctional aspects of the barrack-room lawyer during my time in the military.

There are stronger things than parliamentary majorities and constitutions.

You are simply bribed to not take to the streets by providing enough people with too much to lose by doing so. And the source of the provision is the industrial arts (science) and a certain amount of organised trampling on the civil rights of weaker peoples. An aristocracy of 308 million which JTT is a member and beneficiary of. A minor Royal so to speak.

No doubt you buy goods manufactured in places where civil rights are considered effeminate. If so, then you're a hypocrite.

Tell us where the components of your guns come from. Your TV set. Your car. Your food.

Using the military for strike breaking occurred many times under the Constitution. The NFL referee's strike was broken by a lock-out.

"Civil rights!!??"--go talk to some kids oralloy.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 06:48 am

Demand amnesty for undocumented weapons!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:06 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Whether someone is killed with a gun verses some other tool doesn't make a lot of difference. They are still dead even if they died from some other weapon.

And they are still less likely to die from other tools than they are with a gun.
Gun's compromise the majority of murders because they are an effective tool. Less effective tools don't kill as often simply because they are less effective.
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:21 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The Constitution has a meaning that was intended by the people who wrote it (and intended by the people who subsequently amended it).

and then intended by the people who subsequently amended it again, and then again and ... .

Yes.

JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:

That's right. That intent is that of the people who are currently using the constitution. That's how it has always been.

No. The only legitimate interpretations comply with the intent of the people who wrote and amended it.

JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:

It seems that your civics classes were as badly taught as your grammar classes.

I don't claim to have perfect grammar.

If you feel I've made an error in civics, what do you believe that error is?
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:35 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

And they are still less likely to die from other tools than they are with a gun.

Other tools may be less effective than a gun, but they are still effective enough that someone bent on murder can easily kill with them.

parados wrote:
Gun's compromise the majority of murders because they are an effective tool. Less effective tools don't kill as often simply because they are less effective.

No. Other tools do not kill as often because people choose a gun if it is available.

Were guns not available, people would choose a different tool and then kill the same number of people as before.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:36 am

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/We-the-People.jpg

Enemies of the Constitution – Progressives, Liberals, & Marxists
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:36 am
@parados,
Quote:
Less effective tools don't kill as often simply because they are less effective.

Nonsense home make explosives even simple pipe bombs have a history of killing many more people then any single firearm attacker had done and even simple gasoline attacked had killed 87 people in NYC.