The Gun Fight in Washington. Your opinons?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's a "best answer" on my question.

Quote:
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

After some searching, these are the most recent statistics I've found:

Number of people killed by guns in the United States in 2004: 29,569

Percentage breakdown by US gun deaths in 2004, by type:

* 16,750 suicides (56% of all U.S. gun deaths)
* 11,624 homicides (40%)
* 649 unintentional shootings, 311 from legal intervention and 235 from undetermined intent (4%).

That averages out to 81 people dying everyday from guns. And also some gun ownership stats:

More than 100 million handguns are owned in the United
States primarily for self‐defense, and 3.5 million people have permits to carry concealed handguns for protection. Currently, the population of the U.S. is around 300 million people.
Source(s):
http://twocrabs.blogs.com/2crabs/2007/04

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs

FYI, the 311 from legal intervention equals 1%.
Quote:
16,750 suicides (56% of all U.S. gun deaths)
* 11,624 homicides (40%)

That's 96% from suicides and homicides.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I 'm not going to go chasing numbers,
unless I feel like it; that does not matter
when a citizen is violently attacked by a man or a beast.
Government has NO jurisdiction over possession of Bibles nor of guns.

I don't work for u.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Everyone is perfectly within his rights to commit suicide.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 09:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
True; and most happen in household with guns.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 03:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
Assuming that is true: SO WHAT ??

It is their private business, not yours.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 08:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Someone has to clean up the mess.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 08:36 am
@cicerone imposter,

Yes there would be one hell of a gain if those who wished to killed themselves would need to change to other means then guns as you are less dead if you walk in front of a train then if you blow your brains out with a gun.

Let see France have a higher suicide rate then the US and far less availability to firearms so let see how we might need to change how we killed ourselves if we did not have so many evil guns laying around.

The French hang themselves for the most part with firearms coming in second.

Somehow for those who wish to blame firearms for US suicide rates we are in the middle of the suicide rates of nations with all of our 300 millions plus guns in a population of 300 millions.

Quote:

http://paris365days.com/eiffel-tower-is-named-one-of-the-most-popular-suicide-sites-in-europe/

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) Europe has the world’s highest suicide rate and if it used to be the over-75 age group, today the cases are rising among young people. Women attempt suicide 3 times more than men, though men 3 times more actually succeed. It is known that women are more likely to chose “romantic” ways of killing themselves like poisoning or jumping off high buildings and bridges while men use much more violent methods such as gunshot to the head or mouth or a intentional crash injury. All the scientists and researchers firmly insist that Europe needs to reduce its shameful record of 17.5 suicides per 100,000 people. Among the top ten suicidal countries worldwide are the UK, Sweden, Germany, France, Hungary, and Belgium.

Today not only the number but also the types of suicides have changed. A current trend has people coming from different countries to big cities and famous places of interest to end their lives by jumping off a cliff, a bridge, or a tower. This kind of suicide is referred to as “tourists-suicides”, and the popular places where the act takes place – “suicide sites”. These destinations have a certain reputation and some magic aura that attracts people who have decided to take their own life. Psychologists say those who attempt suicide in a well-known place are trying to draw other people’s attention that they sought while alive.

Among such suicide sites – Clifton Bridge and Humber Bridge located in the UK, Göltzschtalbrücke – the railway bridge in Germany, Cliffs of Moher – the spectacular seaside cliffs located in Ireland, Nusle Bridge (or Nuselsky Most) in Prague, and of course Eiffel Tower in Paris are the most well-known.

A lot of people kill themselves in Paris, and jumping off the “Iron Lady” (which is 1,063 feet high) is the third most popular method of suicide after poisoning and hanging in France. Actually only about 68% of the suicides are known by the Official Statistic in the Paris region and 26% of them in the city of Paris proper. After AIDS, suicide is the second most frequent cause of death in Paris.

The first suicide at the Eiffel Tower was committed by a 23-year-old man, who hanged himself from one of the beams on July, 15th 1898. The most recent case of suicide, according the media, happened on June, 26th this year. A young woman threw herself from half way up the Eiffel Tower, crashing onto a restaurant patio on the first floor of the Paris monument. For 120 years since the monument’s construction about 400 people killed themselves there, of which two survived the 171 feet drop from the first floor, one was blown onto a rafter by the wind and one young woman landed on the roof of a car. A bit of good news from that potentially tragic attempt – after recovering from her injuries this woman married the owner of the car.

Several years ago 6 feet high barriers were constructed on the tower perimeter in order to reduce the number of incidents. Apparently the barriers have had a positive effect. The Police Préfecture claims that suicide attempts from the tower have become very rare. Even so, there are still a lot of people who desire to jump off a famous Paris site. At least 4-5 cases of suicide a year happen in the capital city. That is the reason why the Eiffel Tower is named one of the most popular suicide sites in Europe. Parisians would prefer it just be known as a nice place to visit…

Do you like this post?

BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 08:50 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
A young woman threw herself from half way up the Eiffel Tower, crashing onto a restaurant patio on the first floor of the Paris monument. For 120 years since the monument’s construction about 400 people killed themselves there, of which two survived the 171 feet drop from the first floor, one was blown onto a rafter by the wind and one young woman landed on the roof of a car. A bit of good news from that potentially tragic attempt – after recovering from her injuries this woman married the owner of the car.

I love the story of the woman who when trying to killed herself by jumping off the tower landed on her future husband car roof.

It would be interesting to hear how those two answer the question of their children on how they first met!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 09:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, it's a private business until a kid or somebody shoots his own family members. The government gets involved - and that costs money for hospital, police investigation, and all matters of public interest which may include a trial.

You're pretty dumb, aren't you? TNCFS
parados

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
The CRIMINALS r the politicians
who have raped the Bill of Rights.

David
parados wrote:
Why didn't you stop the rape with your gun David?
Are you admitting guns don't stop crimes?
Some crimes can be stopped with the use of guns.
Not all crimes can be stopped by use of guns.
U knew that.

I see... So guns don't stop political crimes. OK...

Now tell us again why you need guns.
BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 11:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
until a kid or somebody shoots his own family members

So when challenge over the suicide nonsense and the claims that guns are the cause of suicides instead of just a means you reverse to cases of murders?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 11:07 am
@BillRM,
No, it's up to the police to determine whether a crime was committed.

Are you really that stupid? YUP.
oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 12:05 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Now tell us again why you need guns.

Did you confuse America for Europe?

"Need" is for serfs. Free Americans get to have guns just because they choose to have guns.

It doesn't matter whether anyone thinks they need guns or not, or even whether they do need them or not.

If a free American chooses to have guns, that is their right as a free American, and that is the end of the matter.
BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 12:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
No, it's up to the police to determine whether a crime was committed.

Are you really that stupid? YUP.

You are a very strange person indeed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:03 pm
@BillRM,
Right and blunt is more like it.

Tell me why I'm "strange?"
BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Tell me why I'm "strange?"

What the hell does whether the police would consider something a crime or not have to do with what we was talking about IE suicides or shooting of children and so on?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:11 pm
@BillRM,
I'll help you out Bill. Whiskey is the way to commit suicide, and many on this site have a head start on it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:29 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I'll help you out Bill. Whiskey is the way to commit suicide, and many on this site have a head start on it.

Some of the people on this system could indeed drive me to drink that for sure or at the very least to an an aspirin bottle.......... Drunk
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 02:38 pm
For those of you who still don't "get it."

Quote:
Barton, who works with the nonprofit advocacy group Mayors Against Illegal Guns, also said, “Today’s a day of remembrance. Not just for the victims of Newtown, but for the 33 people who are killed every day by gun violence.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bus-tour-commemorating-sandy-hook-takes-gun-control-164753700.html
BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 05:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
One wonder if that 33 figure include self defense shootings and police shootings but then we do not know where the number came from either.

But given a population of 300 millions people with 300 millions plus guns it is a tiny number in any case.

Once more we are at a 50 years low in our murder rate in this nation.