The Hard Facts!

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:41 pm
Re: Terrorism
pistoff wrote:
Bombing of trains containing civilians is an act of terrorism. Those that did so are terrorists.

Spain having troops in Iraq is not aiding in the fighting of terrorists. It is aiding an illegal Occupation and indirectly supporting an illegal invasion of a sovereign country.

1.Is the attack on the USS Cole an act of terrorism?
2. Is the bombing of a US Embassy an act of terrorism?
3. Is the bombing of Marine Barracks an act of terrorism?
4. Is a rocket attack on a civilian neiborhood an act of terrorism?
5. Is shooting down a Military helicopter an act of terrorism?
6. Is blowing up Military vehicles an act of terrorism?

In my opinion, terrorism is a deliberate attempt to kill civilians as the primary intended target, and does not include conventional military attacks in which non-combatants may be killed. If the target of an attack is military or governmental, and an effort is made to minimize civilian casualties, it's an act of war, not an act of terrorism. To answer your question:

1. The attack on the Cole was not terrorism, since it targeted military personnel.
2. This is a hard one because the embassy staff are official representatives of the US, and so, one could make a case for Al Qaeda that they did not target non-combatants. This is something that could be argued both ways. However, typically diplomats are given immunity from attack, because if they were not, diplomacy could not exist.
3. The bombing of the Marine barracks was not terrorism, since they were a legitimate military target from our enemies' point of view.
4. A rocket attack on a civilian neighborhood is terrorism unless a specific military or governmental structure is targeted and a serious attempt is made to minimize civilian casualties.
5. Shooting down a military helicopter is an act of war, not an act of terrorism, since a military vehicle is the target.
6. Blowing up a military vehicle is an act of war, not terrorism, since the target is military.
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:15 am
Well Brandon, it looks like YOU, & a lot of US, look at the act of Terrorism in completely different views, but what I'd like to know from you, is where you're getting your "personal" information, we'd all like to have that knowledge, but quite frankly, I don't believe you've got it to back up what you're attempting to say here...

Contemplating The Meaning Of Life,
Patt Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
PegasusPatt wrote:
Well Brandon, it looks like YOU, & a lot of US, look at the act of Terrorism in completely different views, but what I'd like to know from you, is where you're getting your "personal" information, we'd all like to have that knowledge, but quite frankly, I don't believe you've got it to back up what you're attempting to say here...

Patt Wink

I am saying that I define terrorism as requiring an act against a non-combatant, and that I regard an attack against a military target, or many government targets as conventional military attacks. Once this definition is made, the classification of most of your specific examples is easy. I am giving what to me is a reasonable requirement for an act to be called terrorism. Since I am only stating my opinion, that is, what I consider to be a proper definition of terrorism, I am not required to back it up.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:03 am
PegasusPatt, surely you are not attempting to speak for everyone on this, right? :wink:

I find myself agreeing with Brandon9000's p.o.v. than many of the "US" that you make claim to.
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 05:30 am
Facts Anyone?
Brandon9000 wrote:
PegasusPatt wrote:

Patt Wink

I am saying that I define terrorism as requiring an act against a non-combatant, and that I regard an attack against a military target, or many government targets as conventional military attacks. Once this definition is made, the classification of most of your specific examples is easy. I am giving what to me is a reasonable requirement for an act to be called terrorism. Since I am only stating my opinion, that is, what I consider to be a proper definition of terrorism, I am not required to back it up.

No, you're not required to back it up, but I'll bet the ranch on what you'd have to say if it happened to someone you love! That, my friend, does indeed hurt to know that a loved one died, & w/no explanation given as to why... I've seen & read things that were a first for me, but your attitude, well, it somehow tells me, "you're always right", so no matter what I say, "you're right"... But, since we have a Democratic lifestyle, your definition of a "proper definition of Terrorism", is indeed anything but "proper"... (Just a thought...) Smile

Have a Good 'Un in Your Unexplainable Little World,
Patt Wink
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:03 am
Re: Facts Anyone?
Quote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
"1. The attack on the Cole was not terrorism, since it targeted military personnel.
2. This is a hard one because the embassy staff are official representatives of the US, and so, one could make a case for Al Qaeda that they did not target non-combatants. This is something that could be argued both ways. However, typically diplomats are given immunity from attack, because if they were not, diplomacy could not exist.
3. The bombing of the Marine barracks was not terrorism, since they were a legitimate military target from our enemies' point of view.
4. A rocket attack on a civilian neighborhood is terrorism unless a specific military or governmental structure is targeted and a serious attempt is made to minimize civilian casualties.
5. Shooting down a military helicopter is an act of war, not an act of terrorism, since a military vehicle is the target.
6. Blowing up a military vehicle is an act of war, not terrorism, since the target is military."

I agree with Brandon that targeting innocent civilians to wreck as much death and destruction as possible is terrorism. An attack on a military target is an act of war. An appropriate response to terrorism or attack is also an act of war. Once war is engaged, collateral damage can include civilians, but an honorable military will not target nonmilitant civilians for the purpose of injuring or killing civilians. Terrorists will.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:40 am
The years of relative prosperity and peace in the USA during Clinton years might as well be 1,000 years ago, not just 4 years ago, it seems so long now.

Since Bush won his lawsuit and was handed the keys to the White House by the Renquist Five, 3 million jobs have vanished, tens-of-thousands of jobs have gone overseas never to return, millions of Americans have been unemployed so long they're no longer counted by the Dept. of Labor, 1.7 million Americans have been added to the ranks of poverty, the number of uninsured Americans has climbed, we're in the midst of a guerilla war in Iraq for oil and legacy, energy prices are skyrocketing with gas prices nearing $2.00 a gallon, and the nation has gone from a $165 billion surplus to a $520 billion dollar deficit.

This is George W. Bush's America. Well done, Georgie.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:12 am
I just looked up the stats:
Unemployment in 1st quarter 1996 (4th year of Bill Clinton's term) 5.6%

Unemployment in 1st quarter 2004 (4th year of GWB's term) 5.6%

Civilian employment in 1996: 132 million
Civilian employment in 2000: 141 million
Civilian employment in 2004 146 million

Pray tell, where are all these lost jobs?

And, if there had been a 9/11 during the previous administration, would there have been a deficit?

I don't ask anybody to love the current administration. But fair is fair.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:08 am
John Webb wrote:
Since the President and Administration authorized carpet bombings in Afghanistan and Iraq, your description of them is most fitting. Twisted Evil

'Carpet bombing' hasn't been used since Vietnam JW.

We never 'carpet bombed' Afghanistan nor Iraq.

Please get your facts straight.
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:33 am
THE HARD FACTS
Fedral, I don't know where these so-called facts are coming from, probably the President's website, but I can tell you this, those American jobs that are supposed to be here, they're here alright, but there just aren't Americans working there... Who's paying them, we, the American people, that's who, for G.W. Bush is padding only the pockets of the rich, & the rest have to do the best they can w/what they've got to do with... Thanks for your "logical" opinion, & your "HARD FACT" about "Carpet Bombing"! My Step-Dad served 2 tours in Vietnam, & we were discussing this very subject day before yesterday... Facts sometimes get misconstrued by blinders, & especially the Republican Administration as we know it... Smile Kudos my friend! Wink

Contemplating The Facts,
Patt Cool
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:38 am
Titus wrote:
The years of relative prosperity and peace in the USA during Clinton years might as well be 1,000 years ago, not just 4 years ago, it seems so long now.

Since Bush won his lawsuit and was handed the keys to the White House by the Renquist Five, 3 million jobs have vanished, tens-of-thousands of jobs have gone overseas never to return, millions of Americans have been unemployed so long they're no longer counted by the Dept. of Labor, 1.7 million Americans have been added to the ranks of poverty, the number of uninsured Americans has climbed, we're in the midst of a guerilla war in Iraq for oil and legacy, energy prices are skyrocketing with gas prices nearing $2.00 a gallon, and the nation has gone from a $165 billion surplus to a $520 billion dollar deficit.

This is George W. Bush's America. Well done, Georgie.

Very well put my friend! Wink
Patt Laughing
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:06 am
Foxfyre
Quote:
Civilian employment in 1996: 132 million
Civilian employment in 2000: 141 million
Civilian employment in 2004 146 million

Pray tell, where are all these lost jobs?

While there are over one million students graduating and leaving schools in just ONE of our large states, in a given year--- just 'half' that, which would give you too low a number- but...
multiply anyway, 48 mainland states by half a million--
That gives you 24 million people a year seeking a way to make a living and have a family/pay for advanced education.
Some die, some retire- but it is a FACT... Foxfyre, dying and retiring do not keep pace with new job seekers.

According to your stats above, only 5 million out of 96 million began to work. (2000 to 2004/ 24 million per year)

Lets just take HALF off the 96 million and say 48 million. Say that the other 48 million either died or retired. Still you have 43 million who NEED a job. hmmmm?
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:56 am
Very well put! Wink

Have a Good 'Un!
Patt Laughing
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 01:12 am
McGentrix wrote:
PegasusPatt, surely you are not attempting to speak for everyone on this, right? :wink:

I find myself agreeing with Brandon9000's p.o.v. than many of the "US" that you make claim to.

No, I do not attempt to speak for anyone but myself, but I've not got those blinders on either...

The word US in this opinion, is simply put like I see it. Wink

It's Not Anything Personal, Smile
Patt Laughing

P.S. This Site is for a Political/Foreign & Domestic Variations, ain't it? lol Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:12 am
No, you simply have a different set of blinders is all.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:06 am
PegasusPatt wrote:

No, you're not required to back it up, but I'll bet the ranch on what you'd have to say if it happened to someone you love! That, my friend, does indeed hurt to know that a loved one died, & w/no explanation given as to why... I've seen & read things that were a first for me, but your attitude, well, it somehow tells me, "you're always right", so no matter what I say, "you're right"... But, since we have a Democratic lifestyle, your definition of a "proper definition of Terrorism", is indeed anything but "proper"... (Just a thought...) Smile

Patt Wink

Your response is the response of someone who cannot defend his point of view with relevant logic, so responds with personal attacks and irrelevant matters. Assume that I'm guilty of any character defect you please. That doesn't in any way detract from the validity of what I'm saying. An argument may be correct or incorrect, regardless of the personal qualities of the person who advanced it. I have given a reasonable and appropriate definition of terrorism. Would I personally be upset or angry if someone close to me in the military were killed or injured in a form of attack I consider an act of war and not terrorism? Of course, but what do my likely emotional reactions under stress have to do with anything?

I responded to a request by pistioff to define terrorism and classify some examples. If you disagree, how about explaing specific areas of disagreement and stating your contrary opinion?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:23 am
Jackie wrote:

Quote:
While there are over one million students graduating and leaving schools in just ONE of our large states, in a given year--- just 'half' that, which would give you too low a number- but...
multiply anyway, 48 mainland states by half a million--
That gives you 24 million people a year seeking a way to make a living and have a family/pay for advanced education.
Some die, some retire- but it is a FACT... Foxfyre, dying and retiring do not keep pace with new job seekers.

According to your stats above, only 5 million out of 96 million began to work. (2000 to 2004/ 24 million per year)

Lets just take HALF off the 96 million and say 48 million. Say that the other 48 million either died or retired. Still you have 43 million who NEED a job. hmmmm?

Thank you for at least a well-reasoned argument. Logical arguments seem to be severely lacking among the "anybody but Bush" crowd. but you give me hope that there are those who actually think among the 'loyal opposition'.

I would have to research it further but I will concede the possibility that job creation has not kept pace with workers looking for employment. But that is not the same thing as saying that "Bush has lost however many jobs" which simply is not the case. The unemployment rate was the same at this point in the Clinton administration as it is now and no informed people were saying then that "Clinton killed jobs" etc. So we have to assume that the accusation now is another largely fabricated political 'talking point' to discredit a sitting president.

If people could just get past the "win at any cost" mentality and the "politics of personal destruction" we could focus on why we aren't creating enough jobs, figure out a logical solution to that, and then put our elected officials' feet to the fire to fix it.

According to my financial gurus, however, the current job woes are not related to anything the government has or has not done in this or the previous administration.
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
PegasusPatt wrote:

Patt Wink

Your response is the response of someone who cannot defend his point of view with relevant logic, so responds with personal attacks and irrelevant matters. Assume that I'm guilty of any character defect you please. That doesn't in any way detract from the validity of what I'm saying. An argument may be correct or incorrect, regardless of the personal qualities of the person who advanced it. I have given a reasonable and appropriate definition of terrorism. Would I personally be upset or angry if someone close to me in the military were killed or injured in a form of attack I consider an act of war and not terrorism? Of course, but what do my likely emotional reactions under stress have to do with anything?

I responded to a request by pistioff to define terrorism and classify some examples. If you disagree, how about explaing specific areas of disagreement and stating your contrary opinion?

Well, to begin w/I didn't realize I was precisely attacking anyone, but apparently I have-for that I apologize... Sad But! I will gather my thoughts about what you have asked of me to tell you, & when I do, I sincerely hope you don't take it so personal, I'm not your enemy just because I don't agree w/everything you've said, but I am a concerned Citizen of the United States, & when 09-11-2001 came to pass, I lost people I didn't even know & that did indeed hurt me & this whole Country, as well it should have... Now, that WAS an act of Terrorism, yes? Now on to my thoughts of War... I'll be back w/your answers, & perhaps we can finally agree to agree on something... (or not)... Smile But, it won't be because we're lacking in the Freedom Of Speech category for sure... Wink

Have a Good 'Un!
Patt Idea
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:42 pm
Can there not be anyone but "Bush hater's/lover's" here? I don't hate the man, but he's not exactly one of my favorite people, & has done "some" good things for this Country, but as of this particular moment, I simply can't recall what... Smile

Excellent reply from you though Foxfyre! Smile Keepin' it real does in fact work!

Take Care & Keep On Stating Your Case! Wink
Patt
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 08:58 am
PegasusPatt wrote:

Well, to begin w/I didn't realize I was precisely attacking anyone, but apparently I have-for that I apologize... Sad But! I will gather my thoughts about what you have asked of me to tell you, & when I do, I sincerely hope you don't take it so personal, I'm not your enemy just because I don't agree w/everything you've said, but I am a concerned Citizen of the United States, & when 09-11-2001 came to pass, I lost people I didn't even know & that did indeed hurt me & this whole Country, as well it should have... Now, that WAS an act of Terrorism, yes? Now on to my thoughts of War... I'll be back w/your answers, & perhaps we can finally agree to agree on something... (or not)... Smile But, it won't be because we're lacking in the Freedom Of Speech category for sure... Wink

Have a Good 'Un!
Patt Idea

I respond as I do on these topics because it seems to me that a lot of the people on the other side (from me) of this argument are using sloppy logic, and I attempt to challenge it. Nice that you have such good will, though.
0 Replies