is iq that important?

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:16 am
leopold and loeb had well above genius iq's and they were idiots. YOu can look their case up,its pretty famous.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,378 • Replies: 10
No top replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:11 pm
I couldn't answer a question about skidoos on the iq test because i had no idea what one was.
I worked for a genius once. He would often come to work wearing his slippers and never could remember that he kept his saccharine in his shirt pocket.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:45 pm
I sounds like you aren't suppose to know what skidoos were. It was probably a question on logic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 01:42 pm
Hey, eric. I read a great book about the pair called Compulsion. Without looking it up, let me see if I can remember some details:

First of all, the great Clarence Darrow was their lawyer, and considered it a coup when he got them life instead of the death penalty.

One of them, I think Loeb, was killed in prison, and the other, Leopold, was paroled whereupon he wrote the book. (It might have been the other way around).

My father always claimed that it was a pedophile thing instead of a plan to kill that young boy to see if they could commit the perfect murder. I tend to agree with him.

There was also a movie loosely based on that historic horror, but I can't remember it now.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 02:57 pm
A high IQ by iself means nothing. What good is having a billion $$ if you can't spend it on anything? It's the application of knowledge that wins out in the world on a daily basis.

solar wrote:
I couldn't answer a question about skidoos on the iq test because i had no idea what one was.

They throw questions on tests that have some "regional" flavor to balance out the scores amongst everyone that takes them. Someone from a hispanic culture would be at a significant disadvantage taking the tests if all of the questions were geared toward non-Hispanic cultures. It's just a way of taking regional and ethinc variances into account in scoring and removing biases at the same time.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
I would rather they just have questions like, "which one of these shapes doesn't fit?" that could not possibly have cultural bias. I saw an interesting play in NY about Leopold and Loeb called, "Never the Sinner."
0 Replies

dagaz

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:51 pm
fishin' wrote:
A high IQ by iself means nothing. What good is having a billion $$ if you can't spend it on anything? It's the application of knowledge that wins out in the world on a daily basis.

Exactly. Exclamation
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 05:22 pm
I have no idea what skidoos are, but my guess is the question was something like "SOme skidoos are flingers, and some flingers are gippos. Is the statement that all gippos are skidoos ligical?"

The answer is no.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 05:44 pm
No, it was more along the lines of
your skiddoo is broken, do you fix it with a hammer, a screwdriver, a wrench?
And it was more along the lines of I chose a hammer.
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...wrong!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:36 pm
Indeed, that is tricky. Maybe you were suppose to reason that hammers and wrenches are better for destroying things; therefor, a screwdriver would be best to fix something.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:07 pm
"Skidoo" (actually it's "ski-doo") is a manufacturer of snowmobiles but "skidoo" has become a generic term referring to any snowmobile.
0 Replies