Colonoscopy Experiences?

Miller

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:49 pm
If you've had a colonoscopy, could you please tell us about it. Specifically, please tell us the sedation used and the cathartic used.

I'd also like to know if there differences in procedures with different countries.

Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,730 • Replies: 30
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:49 pm
There was an earlier discussion on colonoscopy. You might check it out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:03 pm
I can't provide details, but believe me, the prep--with an industrial strength laxative--is much more invasive and uncomfortable than the procedure.

The medics brandishing the hardware are more dexterous than a pickpocket with a six-figure income.

Blame centuries of scatalogical idioms for your anticipatory unease.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
I've had 3 colonthingamyjigs and as Noddy says, the laxative is something else. Try to keep a bathroom in sight.
The procedure is no big deal if they give you a dose of anesthetic.
I also had an attractive nurse to assure me all was well.

Good luck
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:12 pm
I had to use Fleet's Phospho-Soda. Cleans out the plumbing real well! Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:26 pm
They had a monitor going while I was on the table. Actually saw inside the old bowels. Looked like a big cave. What was the sedative like? Let me put it this way. When it occured to me that this was like exploring a cave, I said "Look! It's Osama bin Laden! He's been up my @ss all this time!"
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:39 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
...more dexterous than a pickpocket with a six-figure income

That is a great line.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:47 pm
Thanks, George.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
phoenics wrote : "I had to use Fleet's Phospho-Soda. Cleans out the plumbing real well! ". i was asked to follow up with a dose of castor-oil - i was "well-oiled" after that !!! sedative ? what sedative ? bite your teeth and breathe deeply ! the actual procedure was a "relief" compared to the preparation for it !!! had it done about 25 years ago and at that time it was a fairly lengthy prosedure; this time the doctor gave a "running" commentary (he, he, he !) and the waiting to get into the o.p. took longer than the procedure. once i was home i had an enormous breakfast, it seemed like my system was able to stow away a lot of food. twice in a lifetime should be enough. just remembered : our hospital now uses the "disposable" miniature camera for most procedures, and i understand little preparation is required. of course, if any small tumours need to be removed, that will still require "manual" intervention. hbg
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:51 pm
I had one back in August. The prep was hard... I was sitting on the toilet for about 6 hrs. I only drank half of the orange flavored gallon of stuff, but I knew that was enough.

After you're cleaned out, drink something salty, like chicken broth... so you don't get too dehydrated. The next day, when I was to have the procedure, I felt very weak and shakey. This may sound wierd, but I would eat a little salt and sip water... even if you aren't supposed to.

Once they got the IV in me, I was fine. The sedative was nice Smile I woke up at home basically, and wasn't sore afterwards.

Keep in mind I was 100 lbs and 26 yrs old. I'm sure everyone is different. $800 to find out nothing major was wrong.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:05 pm
COLONOSCOPY
you can find all required info here >>> YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW ?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:39 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I had to use Fleet's Phospho-Soda. Cleans out the plumbing real well! Laughing

Are you saying you used an enema instead of Go-Lightly?

How abut Mag citrate?

Do you remember the sedation? Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:41 am
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
I had one back in August. The prep was hard... I was sitting on the toilet for about 6 hrs. I only drank half of the orange flavored gallon of stuff, but I knew that was enough.

After you're cleaned out, drink something salty, like chicken broth... so you don't get too dehydrated. The next day, when I was to have the procedure, I felt very weak and shakey. This may sound wierd, but I would eat a little salt and sip water... even if you aren't supposed to.

Once they got the IV in me, I was fine. The sedative was nice Smile I woke up at home basically, and wasn't sore afterwards.

Keep in mind I was 100 lbs and 26 yrs old. I'm sure everyone is different. $800 to find out nothing major was wrong.

Very good points!

What do you mean you woke up at home? How did you ever get home?

Thank you for your information! Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:45 am
hamburger wrote:
phoenics wrote : "I had to use Fleet's Phospho-Soda. Cleans out the plumbing real well! ". i was asked to follow up with a dose of castor-oil - i was "well-oiled" after that !!! sedative ? what sedative ? bite your teeth and breathe deeply ! the actual procedure was a "relief" compared to the preparation for it !!! had it done about 25 years ago and at that time it was a fairly lengthy prosedure; this time the doctor gave a "running" commentary (he, he, he !) and the waiting to get into the o.p. took longer than the procedure. once i was home i had an enormous breakfast, it seemed like my system was able to stow away a lot of food. twice in a lifetime should be enough. just remembered : our hospital now uses the "disposable" miniature camera for most procedures, and i understand little preparation is required. of course, if any small tumours need to be removed, that will still require "manual" intervention. hbg

This is very interesting. I 've never heard of this before.

Someone in England told me that they had a mild(!) flush of the colon with a high salt solution and then had to go on a low fiber diet for about 24 hours.

Thank you for your info! Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:46 am
George wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:
...more dexterous than a pickpocket with a six-figure income

That is a great line.

Only difference is that pickpockets usually pick people with pants pockets!
Right? Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:47 am
With the kind of luck I have, the day before my procedure, the plumbing in my building will be shut down for repairs...

Then what?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:49 am
George wrote:
They had a monitor going while I was on the table. Actually saw inside the old bowels. Looked like a big cave. What was the sedative like? Let me put it this way. When it occured to me that this was like exploring a cave, I said "Look! It's Osama bin Laden! He's been up my @ss all this time!"
[/b]

Did his beard tickle you very much? Smile
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:52 am
miller : you might want to check a little more in google. there is quite a bit of good info.; just enter +colonoscopy+miniature camera . i believe that our local g.i. unit at the hospital feels that the camera method is the preferred method for an initial "exploration". it is less expensive (HOOD was charged $800 ??? seems a pretty steep price) and much easier. in the few cases where a follow-up is required, a regular colonoscopy can be performed later. using the camera method a lot more patients can be examined at lower cost - no operating room required. hbg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:35 am
hamburger- I understand the cost considerations. Have YOU ever had a colonoscopy? If you have, I don't think that you would want to do the "prep" again, if they found something, and had to do a regular colonoscopy. The prep is definitely the worst part of the procedure.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 02:14 pm
phoenix : yeah, twice (and i hope that is enough for a lifetime !!! and NO smileys !!!). the prep is definetely the worst part in my opinion. i understand that the mini-camera does not require the kind of prep (but have no actual experience here). from what i've read about it in the local paper when our hospital started using cameras about six months ago, it is much quicker, easier and simpler. since - from what little i know about it - in the majority of cases NO surgical operation is required - i.e. the colonoscopy does not find any polyps - the camera will do the job . in only those cases where the camera finds polyps etc. is a follow-up colonoscopy required. i also remember that the last time i had "the job" done , i had to sign a release form preventing me from suing the hospital if the colonoscopy should result in a bowel perforation - YIKES ! when i questiond the prep nurse, she said : "oh, don't worry, if that happens they'll stitch you up quickly - YIKES again. .......... how the heck did we ever get into this lovely subject ? hbg
0 Replies