BUILDING A POLL RE CHOICE OF NEWS SOURCES

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:45 am
This poll business is thought provoking, but I am finding out that I need to be more attentive to the wording. Therefore, I propose building a poll re the following question: IF YOU READ ONE NEWS SOURCE A DAY, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Your job is to suggest one or two choices. We may need to include some general statements such as HOMETOWN PAPER. Yes, you may critique the poll question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,503 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:45 am
The Boston Globe
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:50 am
Critique of poll: I could NEVER stick to any limit in sources.

Answer: NYTIMES (I'd say it's the most influential newspaper on earth).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:51 am
I'd also say that I tend to get my news online.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:53 am
Same here, I hate newspaper paper and online the news is updated with greater frequency.

I syncronize the news to my palm pilot and read when travelling etc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:55 am
I wouldn't say that I hate newspaper....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:07 am
NY times suplemented by online news media.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:11 am
Can't limit myself to one paper, as I like to see issues discussed from different perspectives. If I HAD to choose, it probably would be the Wall Street Journal.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:25 am
Oh wait! I actually get much of my news from NPR. So, the balance between reading the local (Boston Globe), checking out stories online when needed, and listening to NPR is one I really enjoy.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:31 am
The Onion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:46 am
No one newspaper, no one network, no On-Line news site, no one source period is sufficient to expose one to the breadth of thought and opinion which shapes our world. I read the NYT, the WSJ, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, The San Jose Mercury News, and The Times of London, among others, on a regular basis, as well as frequently sampling their websites. I also subscribe to several weekly or monthly news periodicals, a variety of of trade, political, historical, and financial journals.. If I had to go with the absurdity of choosing a single source, I suppose it would have to be The Onion.

timber
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:19 pm
NYTimes, Boston Globe, CNN.com, slate.com, the radio, the grapevine, etc. :-D
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:30 pm
I KNOW NO ONE SOURCE IS NOT ENOUGH. Please, I am just trying to get folks to focus on one. And yes, you may have to compromise in order to choose one source. The array of sources one chooses is another question.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:53 pm
Here are the choices I have to date...I still don't know if the poll choices will be limited by space in the poll:

Boston Globe
Chicago Tribune
CNN.com
NPR
NYTimes
(The)Onion
San Jose Mercury News
Slate.com
Times of London
Wall Street Journal
Washington Post
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:54 pm
mapleleaf, the poll is limited to no more than 10 choices. You might want to make it 9 with the 10th being "None of the Above".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:55 pm
Or "Other"
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:55 pm
Boston Glob, NPR, New Yorker.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:56 pm
Ok, I go with NPR (so glad it isn't restricted to paper only)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 04:52 pm
How about this;
Boston Globe
Chicago Tribune
Internet (CNN, Slate)
NPR
NYTimes
(The)Onion
San Jose Mercury News
Times of London
Wall Street Journal
Washington Post
Other

I am unaware of the San Jose Mercury News and The Onion. Should they be in this list.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 06:38 pm
Mapleleaf, The San Jose Mercury News is pretty much "The Paper of Record" for Silicon Valley. It has a well regarded editorial staff, and consistently garners awards and commendations from around the world, but certainly isn't as "Universal" a paper as might be some of the others listed. The Onion is a satirical paper which originated more or less as an entertaining college broadsheet, but has become over the past few years an intstitution in its genre. Somehow, I think it belongs in the list.

timber
0 Replies