Conservative?/Liberal?

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:12 pm
Quote:
In the US, school funding is tied to property value in that area. you are only allowed to go to the school in the area district you live in. (that means there is no competition between schools and that rich areas get much more funding than poor areas.)

It's another reason why the little kiddos who are born into a high income family haven't a clue as to why the poor kid's schools are so shitty.
"But Mummy, why don't they just get some more books and computers?"
"I don't know, sweetie, public schools are supported by taxes. Eat your caviar, honey."
See, we are supposed to 'judge everyone by their own merits' but the privileged kids start their lives way up the fairway while the poor kids are back at the pro tees without a driver. (I'm using a golf analogy so the Republicans will understand --(sorry, Frank) ) In baseball terms, they are born on third and think they hit the triple (M. Dowd about G. Bush)

But we are not supposed to talk about the advantages of being born into a prosperous family. When the rich use their power against us, that's fairness, when we call it injustice, they call it class warfare, forgetting of course, who fired the first shots.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:24 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Fedral wrote:

...I also hold the record for holding the WORST job ever and yet still remain a staunch Republican.

I remember a Christmas day several years back...when the job I had required that I clean the rest rooms of a very seedy go-go bar where I was a janitor. Christmas Eve had been a banner night -- or so I was told.

In any case, the vomit I had to scrub up was obviously from more than one person -- and at least one of them was obviously able to vomit up rather high on one wall. None of the vomiters -- (don't know how many there were) -- were particularly keen on hitting a toilet or a commode.

I'm willing to accept that you have the worst job ever -- but reluctantly.

Very reluctantly.

If you want the job title and description Frank, I would be happy to PM it to you (If I posted it on the board, I might empty the house and have none of them come back again).
The only thing I ask is if you DO ask me, when I PM you back the job description, you come on here and say 'Yes, Fedral at one time held the worst job ever' Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:31 pm
Say it here dammit!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:32 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I think a democratic government can do many things like remove barriers: redlines in neighborhoods, hiring restrictions based on non-essential characteristics and cherry-picking of patients by public medical facilities, and still not impede on a person's sense of basic justice. There are others.

We've come a long way in the US. In 1913, in Massachusetts, my Irish grandfather could not buy a house nor join a carpenters's union. The reason for the first was he was Irish, the reason for the second was he was both Irish and Catholic. Seems bizarre now doesn't it? Maybe we should ask John Kerry?

It was the work of Democratic leaders (large D) who brought forth the reforms that changed things through government. When the civil rights movement began to make real strides in the 1950's it was liberal Democrats, risking the wrath of their Southern cousins who used the power of government to make changes that would have never come without such intervention.

Without that work we would be today discussing, not whether gays ought to be able to marry, but whether there can be a marriage between a white person and a negro?

We must always be on guard against the intrusion of government but not when such intrusion truly benefits the nation. And who's to say what will benefit the nation?

You and me, boyo, that's why they call it democratic.

Joe Nation

My grandfather came to America from Italy as a trained medical doctor in the early 1900's and was not allowed to practice medicine because they didn't recognize Italian medical degrees.

The problem is, affirmative action is nothing more than state sponsored discrimination (as if we need ANOTHER thread on this subject)

Let me just say, that when the state says I'm not allowed to hire people according to race (Like hiring only whites for my business) and then turns around and says I have to hire people according to race (to fulfil a 'quota') It makes NO sense.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:40 pm
I'm interested, Fedral, and invite your PM.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:43 pm
Please, Fedral, foreigners read these posts, where in Florida law does it say
Quote:
I have to hire people according to race (to fulfil a 'quota')
?

We don't want people to get the wrong impression.

Joe
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:52 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Say it here dammit!

Your board Craven...

Your beach, your wave.

I was just trying to avoid grossing out everyone and I wasn't sure how 'The management' would take it.

OK, for several months, I was a gravedigger here in Florida. Now I know that doesn't sound too bad, but to understand the nature of the job you have to understand several important facts;

1) The 'new guy' (that was me in this case) gets all the crappy jobs.

2) The water table in the area is very high. (if you dig down more than 2 feet, you hit water.)

3) 'Potters Field' is the place where they bury all the homeless, transients and those unable to pay for a proper burial.

4) The people who get buried in 'Potters Field' are usually improperly imbalmed and placed in damaged or irregular vaults in what amounts to 'cardboard' caskets.'

5) When a new grave is dug, someone (the new guy) has to take a shovel and jump in the hole to level the bottom and trim the edges of the hole.

So imagine if you will, getting in a hole 6 feet deep, wearing hip waders (rubberized boots that go to your chest) standing in 4 feet of water that consists of 90% water and 10% liquefied human remains. You realize that the little yellow dots that you see floating in the water are not pieces of leaves, but pieces of people. The smell is so foul that you can't even puke because your body doesn't want to take a deep breath afterward.

I cannot truly describe the odor (only those who have smelled the stench of death can truly understand it) Imagine standing in this and having to use the shovel to 'square out' the hole for the vault. This process can take from 10 to 20 minutes after the backhoe digs the initial hole.

The funny part was, the reason I quit that job was NOT that particular task. I quit after I assisted in my third baby funeral. The sight of those parents putting those little caskets into the ground was like a knife in my gut. The last straw was when we (my fellow gravediggers and I) had to take over the lowering of the casket (usually done by the father) when this huge gentleman who looked as if he could tear a tank in two, was crying so hard he couldn't lift the tiny casket.

I put in my notice that day.

The only upside from that experience is, no matter how sucky a job I have, I can do it with a smile because I had the worst job ever
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:56 pm
Hmm, I thought I could compete. Some of mine come close but not that bad.

You get the title. Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:33 pm
Ditto.

God have mercy on the working man.

Joe
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:53 am
yeah - baby and kid funerals suck.....

that was sure a bad job, fedral....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:36 am
Pragmatic arnarchist--bored commie pinko . . .

Are you from Lusatia?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:41 pm
Let's see. I can't be a liberal because I like ideas of Social Security privatization, the voucherization of the school system, and ending the program deceptively mislabelled Affirmative Action. I also can't be a conservative because I like ideas like gay marriage, the legalization of all drugs (including Heroin and Dr.Quack's special snake oil), and the abolishment of the un-American act deceptively mislabled the PATRIOT act.

I guess I'm a centrist then.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:44 pm
actually Thomas it appears to me that you would fit just fine under an old catagory we used to call Republican.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:23 pm
dyslexia wrote:
actually Thomas it appears to me that you would fit just fine under an old catagory we used to call Republican.

You mean the Republican Party Jefferon belonged to? Good point! I'm not quite old enough to remember that Republican Party, but I miss it a lot and prefer it over the George Bush Republicans a great deal. The modern kind is going to be another chapter in my yet unwritten "deceptive mislabelling" book.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:28 pm
Thomas wrote:
I'm not quite old enough to remember that Republican Party, ...

Ohh.

However, I'm rather glad to hear that Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:31 pm
I agree heartily with you on most of those items, Thomas, and would be willing to consider some of the others.

I think people fear privatizing Social Security (for example) because they wonder, who would win the contracts to do the work. The same old oligarchy? At least with a civil service there is a modicum of non-partisan independence.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:56 pm
Thomas wrote:
The modern kind is going to be another chapter in my yet unwritten "deceptive mislabelling" book.

May I suggest a title?

"Excellent labels and why we love them."
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:00 pm
Quote:
I think people fear privatizing Social Security

I wish I could just opt out & deal with my own retirement.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:08 pm
Social Democrat here.
Funny, Canada's liberals are conservatives too, just like Australia!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:44 pm
solar wrote:

Funny, Canada's liberals are conservatives too, just like Australia!

... and in Germany, Austria (Haider is even extreme right wing there) ...
0 Replies