What does "really" modify?

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:08 am
"Really" is my favorite word because it is often impossible to analyze (since we do not know what is actually in the mind of the speaker).

I love to draw those old-fashioned Reed-Kellogg diagrams. They require me to account for every word.

"But that is not REALLY [the reason] why I am calling you."

I am able to draw a diagram with all of those words properly accounted for, but -- as usual -- I am not sure how to parse "really." What word(s) does it modify?

I should greatly appreciate the opinions of any serious and courteous members.

Thank you,

James
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 550 • Replies: 5
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:11 am
@TheParser,
Quote:

It modifies the word "is".
TheParser

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:59 am
@gungasnake,
Thank you, gungasnake.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 12:25 pm
@TheParser,
Quote:

James, try sticking in a synonym or a word that works but doesn't hold the identical nuance.

"But that is not COMPLETELY/TOTALLY/100% [the reason] why I am calling you."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 03:37 pm
@TheParser,
Quote:
... because it is often impossible to analyze (since we do not know what is actually in the mind of the speaker).

Analyse grammatically or pragmatically/semantically, James? Grammatically it's usually fairly straight forward depending on one's prowess with grammar. But grammar is rather artificial.

The real difficulty is to be found in the field of pragmatics, the study of meaning.

Remember when Mame gave you that snotty reply. There was actually some great advice to be found therein. She said, if I recall correctly, that it all depends and that is so true.

What's thee most important thing in determining meaning?

CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT

Native speakers can easily be fooled as to what a given sentence means because the surrounding context is vitally important, as you yourself have noted, above.

That's why Engineer, who virtually always gives excellent, well thought out advice on language, [is that 9 times out of ten or 9.75 times out of ten?] missed it this time, saying he had never heard such a collocation.

We can all be tricked because so often our minds lock on a meaning/scenario to the exclusion of others.

TheParser

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:06 pm
@JTT,
Thank you very much, JTT.
0 Replies