Optional Adjective complement

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:01 pm
1. They escaped.
2. They escaped unharmed.

Would you please explain the grammatical function of the optional adjective "unharmed" in the second sentence? I need to know this in order to diagram the sentence.

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,801 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:15 pm
@TheParser,
Think about this. 'Unharmed' modifies what? The word 'escaped.' And what part of speech is that? Why, a verb. So what does that make 'unharmed'? Hint: it's not an adjective as you suggest in your headline.
Ragman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Actually, I thought that it modifies the word 'they' , which, in turn, makes it an adjective. They are in an unharmed condition after their escape.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:44 pm
@Ragman,
Rag, that also would have been my guess
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:57 pm
@Ragman,
That's not logical. The question 'how did they escape?' is answered by the word 'unharmed.' Ergo 'unharmed' is an adverb modifying the verb 'escaped.'
JTT

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:59 pm
@TheParser,
They unharmed

escaped unharmed

The unharmed people escaped unharmed
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The way I understand this...it poses this question: How (safely?) did THEY escape? The reference is to what their condition is/was ... which is/was unharmed.

Hmm? Hard to be certain.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:15 pm
@Ragman,
Easy to be certain, Rag. 'Safely' does not describe 'they'. It describes their method of escape. Trust me on this. I used to teach high-school English.
Ragman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OK. I was a lowly tech writer. Most of us are/were literate...(enough)...at least as compared to the engineers.
JTT

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Trust me on this. I used to teach high-school English.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
It describes their method of escape.

Nice try, but, well, not really, Merry.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:42 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Most of us are/were literate...(enough).

That's certainly what saved you, Ragman. It definitely wasn't your knowledge of grammar.

Maybe now you can grasp the difference between knowing your language and knowing about your language. If you do please explain it to Frank A. He's thick as a brick.

And remember, you're not to blame as you had high school teachers like Merry Andrew. In fact, many of your post secondary teachers are not much better.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
It describes their method of escape.

Perhaps you're a better parser [or crystal ball reader] than us all. Tell us, Merry, did they use a file or a hacksaw blade, maybe a shovel or a pick? Or maybe you divined an escape by rickshaw, motorboat, maybe a jetpack?

Did you tell your students after you imparted your gems of wisdom, "Don't you dare to ask me any questions about any of this"?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:01 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
OK. I was a lowly tech writer.
Mee too, was tech writer, English grammar not
JTT

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:15 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Mee too, was tech writer, English grammar not

Yet you were able to discern that nuance in the fish thread, Dale. This illustrates just how powerful our internal grammar parsers are. The vast majority know virtually nothing ABOUT grammar, but their internal grammar parsers know all. What's even more amazing is how quickly our internal grammar parsers pick out just the right grammatical nuance out of billions of possibilities.

The problem with learning grammar as it's [that's 'it has', JoefromChicago and Evafromgodknowswhere] been taught, to be frank, REALLY BADLY, is that there is no connection to reality, to how grammar is used to effect meaning. This is Pragmatics - how grammatical structure affects meaning/nuance.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
'Safely' does not describe 'they'. It describes their method of escape.
That's true Andy but I'm not sure "safely" is a syn of "unharmed". Clearly the former is an adverb whereas the latter could be either

It strains the imagination a little, but the adjective use suggests they weren't harmed while imprisoned, the adverb while they were in process of escaping

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:05 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Yet you were able to discern that nuance in the fish thread, Dale.
Why thank you JTT

Code:This illustrates just how powerful our internal grammar parsers are.
Sometimes it's plain intuition. With subtleties like "unharmed" might we not run around in circles indefinitely
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Trust me on this. I used to teach high-school English.

This had to be major tongue in cheek, right, Merry. You were pulling everyone's appendages, weren't you?

Because it's hilarious, absolutely ******* hilarious! I really did burst out laughing when I saw it.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:15 pm
@TheParser,
Unharmed in the third person perspective only.

That they were unharmed or not is their choice, based on honest looking back on the situation.

That they were tortured may even be removed as a 'harming' though some will to strive on, some will not to remember the horror which befell them for reasons beyond the expected quite often.

Such a reason is as follows (though there are many more).

The remembrance of a car accident is worth keeping to those who seek to know they survived, know they hurt and know it was wrong, wrong of a situation.

In complete digression:
To state that a percentage remember the pain for no reason would be insane the notion.

Those who state harm occurred as a lie, will fall foul of harm eventually for doing so, there is no greater clarity, however, under forces vast, there will be some who escape less scathed for such a thing, justice does not belong to the hyena and the wolf by simple presentation of themselves.
Ragman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:44 pm
@nothingtodo,
Just out of curiosity, do you use a food blender with which you edit and compose your sentences?

If those preceding you didn't scare off TheParser with our bleatings, you finished the job.
JTT

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:49 pm
@Ragman,
Make way, make way, the grammarian is back!
0 Replies