Medical Students in the Exam Room

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:51 am
Gallstones are very,very painful!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:43 am
caprice- How awful. I have had at least a half dozen bone marrow biopsies. It is definitely NOT a precedure that I would want a student to do on me.

I remember once that there were two doctors in the room, and one was a person who was doing her oncology fellowship. She was fumbling around with me. I stopped her, and told the doctor that I wanted him to do the procedure. I also made a nasty crack about her practicing on somebody else!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 12:01 pm
I'm with you Phoenix. Fortunately there are some people out there who allow themselves to be guinea pigs. But unfortunately there are those people who don't realize they have the right to refuse. When I used to be a lab assistant, I had people complain to me about some sort of horrendous experience during a blood collection. I would inform them that if anything like that happened in the future, they should either ask for someone else or tell the phlebotomist to stop and they would come back another time. I said it was their right to dictate how they were treated. My supervisor didn't like it and said I shouldn't do it, but I felt I was right. It boggled my mind that some people just felt they had to sit there and endure whatever came their way!

Miller: Oh yeah. I was told that the small sharp ones are the kind where you need to have a gallbladder removed. The big roundish stones could just be left in place because they can't go anywhere. I had the former. You must have endured the experience yourself!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:39 pm
If a patient has a medical student "practice" on them, why not give the patient a little monetary reward?
0 Replies