George H. W. Bush In Guarded Condition

jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:34 am
I was pretty young when he was President, I remember my parents didn’t care much for his politics but still respected him and respected his World War II service as a Naval aviator.

He’s now our oldest living former President, just a few months older then Jimmy Carter who is also 88 years old.

George H.W. Bush in 'guarded condition' in intensive care, battling elevated fever, spokesman says

Quote:
Former President George H.W. Bush was battling an elevated fever Wednesday and was in "guarded condition" in a hospital intensive care unit, a family spokesman said.

"The President is alert and conversing with medical staff, and is surrounded by family," said a statement from family spokesman Jim McGrath. Bush, 88, was moved to the intensive care unit at The Methodist Hospital at the Texas Medical Center in Houston on Sunday, McGrath said.

Bush has been in the hospital since Nov. 29 for treatment of complications related to bronchitis. After initial expectations that he would be hospitalized for only a few days proved to be wrong, doctors said through a hospital statement on Dec. 13 that they expected Bush would "be able to celebrate Christmas at home."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 1,172 • Replies: 11
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:32 am
@jcboy,
Wish him well and hope he recovers quickly. Hospitals are a lousy place to get rid of a fever.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:11 am
@farmerman,
I hope he recovers enough to go home to complete his recovery.

Get better George H. W.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:38 am
I would hope everyone wishes him the best. I know I do.

Hospitals suck...especially during holidays that are traditionally spent at home with family.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:42 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
Bush has been in the hospital since Nov. 29 for treatment of complications related to bronchitis.

That cold that's going around is nasty. I've had it myself the past day or two.

I had an inkling how bad it was going to be from seeing it in other people, so I hammered it with zinc lozenges from the start. Yesterday was pure hell, but it looks like I confined the worst of it to one day thankfully.

I wonder if the pneumonia that killed General Schwarzkopf was also this same cold virus.
jespah

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:57 pm
@oralloy,
It's gotta be worse if you're 88, like GHWB is.
oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:12 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
It's gotta be worse if you're 88, like GHWB is.

Very likely. But this particular strain is particularly nasty at any age.
jespah

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:04 pm
@oralloy,
My folks were both really hit by it (my parents are 7 and 9 years younger than Bush). How long did it take you to feel better?
georgeob1

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:18 pm
Some doctors call pneumonia "the old man's friend".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:40 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
My folks were both really hit by it (my parents are 7 and 9 years younger than Bush). How long did it take you to feel better?

I had only one day (yesterday) where I was really bad. But that was pretty bad. If today was as bad as yesterday, I would have gone to a walk-in clinic or emergency room.

I still feel it today, but I feel like I am in a recovery phase (like my immune system has the germs on the run and is just wrapping things up).

My voice is still really weak though -- only as strong as a whisper -- and I am only able to eat a single bowl of chicken soup in one sitting (though at least I can stand crackers now).

But I made sure to take heavy doses of zinc lozenges as soon as I caught it, so I am probably over it faster than normal. I've seen a number of people afflicted by this for the better part of a week.
jespah

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:00 pm
@oralloy,
I'm glad you're feeling better.

Sorry for the derailment, folks.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:51 am
@oralloy,
Sorry you are feeling poorly, Oralloy. I also hope you are over it soon.
0 Replies