Is it damaging to my voice to keep raising the key of songs to stretch my vocal and singing range

CGrassa

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 02:03 pm
Everyday I do my vocal warm ups that I learned in vocal lessons, and then I take about ten different songs and play them on guitar and sing them in different keys by using my capo. I want to increase my vocal range, so Im slowley raising the keys of the songs and trying to stretch myself. Even though I try not to strain and support the notes, after about 15 songs of doinc this my voice and body in general just feels really tired ( not horse or any pain or anything). Is this a good thing to do, or does vocal tiredness and occasional horseness mean thats bad?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,620 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 02:05 pm
@CGrassa,
That is what a music or voice coach can teach you. What foes your vocal coach say? You did say you have one, right?

Just like any other over-used muscle, your diaphragm and/or throat muscles can tire.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 12:07 am
@CGrassa,
CGrassa wrote:
Is this a good thing to do, or does vocal tiredness and occasional horseness mean thats bad?

It's probably not good. You can broaden your range with practice -- Placido Domingo, for instance, started as a baritone but made the transition to tenor very early in his vocal training. But there are limitations -- Domingo started out as a high baritone, and he never lost the darker coloring of his voice that true tenors, like Pavarotti, lacked.

If you do it right, you can add a few notes to the top of your range, maybe half an octave. On the other hand, if you do it wrong, you can ruin your voice permanently. If you have a vocal coach, follow his/her advice. If you're still straining and hurting, get a different coach. You should expect results, but don't expect miracles.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:42 pm
@CGrassa,
You should not make yourself hoarse. Vocal tiredness happens. The scales and vocal exercises done in moderation each day will stretch your vocal chords and increase your range. If you are hoarse then you are straining your voice and could eventually end up with nodes on your vocal chords. You do not want that!
0 Replies