illegal immigration

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:30 am
One of my favorite illegals used to work on the same construction projects as I. He came here from Mexico. Now and then he would get deported, which was a good joke to all of us. He always came back weeks later, bring at least three new illegals with him.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:20 am
I think every immigrant group deserves their 'shot'.

I just think that:

a) The immigration needs to be done LEGALLY

b) The Government needs to make it easier for people from the Central and South American countries to GET legal visas to immigrate and live/work here
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:55 am
I think, if I were in some of those situations we hear about in latin America I would also be headed here, legally or not.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 03:48 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Iron, you have the ability to see through Fedral. Your suggestion is of course, right on the money. You should hear what he really thinks.

I just noticed this part of Umb's posting (I generally read every word people post, but his long ranting diatribes hurt my eyes.) but I have to respond to this (even though my mother taught me to never argue with crazy people):

Umbagog,
So now you know what I 'really think'? I thought my postings showed you what I really thought. I have never made any denials of my political leanings, nor have I ever shied from arguing a point I believed in.

My postings above reflect the way I feel about immigration based upon the way I was raised. In future please do NOT try to tell me or anyone else what is in my heart.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:41 pm
I don't give a sh-t about the law where illegals are concerned.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:27 pm
Spanish was spoken here before English was. If there is an official language in this country, it should be Spanish.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:37 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Illegal aliens should be deported. All of them. End of story. Anyone helping to smuggle or hide them should be thrown in prison.

Helping to hide or smuggle them? It sounds like you are talking about runaway slaves (and it's a bit late for that).

There are many undocumented immigrants in my community. We work together, go out together, take care of each others kids and in at least one case marry each other. I care about my friends and I don't care much about silly laws or angry people.

I thought I was just being a decent person ... but ya think should I turn myself in to the police?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
No
You're probably on their list, just wait your turn.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 07:52 am
Ceili wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
But the textbooks for public schools shouldn't be legally required to be bilingual. It holds kids back.

Studies have shown you're wrong. Billingulism, or more than two languages actually increases a childs learning skills as well as intellect. My kids go to a billingual school, french and english. Almost every school in this city has a billingual/immersion program in many languages; cree, italian, spanish, german, ukrainian, polish, mandarin - cantonese, japanese and so on......................
Our schools consistantly outrank the national average. I don't think learning another language could ever be consisdered a bad thing, so what is your real fear???

But it isn't a case of bilingualism--it is a case of STUDENTS NOT LEARNING ENGLISH.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 07:56 am
Fedral wrote:
I think every immigrant group deserves their 'shot'.

I just think that:

a) The immigration needs to be done LEGALLY

b) The Government needs to make it easier for people from the Central and South American countries to GET legal visas to immigrate and live/work here

I agree.

And I would have no problem with simply shooting an illegal; alien who has been caught here many times. That kind of SHOT certainly works for me.

First time caught: Deported, can NEVER enter the US legally.
Second time caught: Deported, after having "ILLEGAL ALIEN" tattooed on his/her face.
Third time: Can be killed on sight, no questions asked.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 07:58 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Illegal aliens should be deported. All of them. End of story. Anyone helping to smuggle or hide them should be thrown in prison.

Helping to hide or smuggle them? It sounds like you are talking about runaway slaves (and it's a bit late for that).

There are many undocumented immigrants in my community. We work together, go out together, take care of each others kids and in at least one case marry each other. I care about my friends and I don't care much about silly laws or angry people.

I thought I was just being a decent person ... but ya think should I turn myself in to the police?

They are not "undocumented immigrants" or whatever politically correct twaddle is in vogue this week. They are ILLEGAL ALIENS, and are also CRIMINALS. ANYONE who helps them should spend a long time (like, 10 years, minimum) in prison.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:37 am
Anyone who advocates murder of persons who are here to merely to live, illegally or otherwise, ought to be deported to Albania or some such equivelant parallel to their way of thinking.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:58 am
Jarlaxe, It doesn't sound like I am going to be able to have a rational conversation with you about this. So let me just say this and leave it at that.

We are here.
We work harder than you and we are better employees.
We study harder than you and we know math better than you.
We are learning English while keeping our native languages.
And ... many of us can vote.

There are two visions of America. One is a vision of fear hatred, competition and legalistic persecution. People who follow this vision want to label people as "illegal" or "criminals" for doing things to help their families that most of us would do if we were in the same position. I have broken the law many times. I don't consider myself "illegal" or "criminal".

The other is a vision of compassion, humanity, giving people a chance and love. We understand that human beings deserve dignity and respect. We understand that most people want to work hard to contribute to their community.

To me people are more important than fear and even law. You obviously disagree with this choice.

But it doesn't matter. We are here, and ultimately we will win. This is a democracy after all and many of us recognize our own immigrant past and the contributions that immigrants have made in the past and now -- in spite of the absurd draconian laws that many of our families had to break in the past to build the lives here we now enjoy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:09 am
Jarlaxle wrote:

Second time caught: Deported, after having "ILLEGAL ALIEN" tattooed on his/her face.

You must be a native (Indian-) American.

I really think that you can be proud of that.

Although, I -like others as well- have some difficulties with your solution.
(It was called "final solution" in my country 70 years ago; they didn't tatoo names on their faces, but marked those persons otherwise http://www.ge-else.de/body_schulprofil/Projekte/Startseite/Lebensgeschichte/WBORK.jpg - I never thaught, any half-decent person could get such ideas again.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:41 pm
A person voicing such hatred can never be reasoned with.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 01:59 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

You must be a native (Indian-) American.

I really think that you can be proud of that.

Among other things, yes. However, my ancestors entered the country LEGALLY. I have no problem with LEGAL immigration, only with illegal aliens.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 02:00 pm
Quote:
I have broken the law many times. I don't consider myself "illegal" or "criminal".

Then you are simply delusional.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 02:08 pm
Vete al la chingada pues!
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:56 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:

Congratulations!

You just got the award for the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyone say. EVER.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 04:09 pm
Heywood:
Thank you for pointing that out.
0 Replies