illegal immigration

wakeup

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:25 pm
wakeup America, within this past year in oklahoma our atm machines have started asking us if we want this in english or spanish, wal-mart and home depot are selling products with bilingual labels, lowes is putting spanish signs in its new stores, drivers exams are being given in spanish, kaut43 is airing spanish translation commercials, and my child's mathbook has a spanish glossary in the back of it. if we wanted to live in mexico, i'm pretty sure we would all move there including the hispanic population. this has now spread beyond the border states and your state will eventually be next. it's rather obvious that illegal immigration and nafta are the cause. its time to start complaining. email the largest retailers, the whitehouse, and your congressmen that you do not want the spanish language invading your homes or your stores and its time to crackdown on illegal immigration and cancel nafta. nobody wanted nafta to begin with. it was passed in hopes that by providing jobs in mexico, it would reduce illegal immigration here. it has been a miserable failure for America. this message is not anti hispanic but instead pro American. every hispanic i ever went to school with, and worked with, was a person i liked. until now, every immigrant that has ever come here, has been willing to give up their language to be one of us, and these people should be no different. every legal citizen deserves to be treated like an American. the rest should not be rewarded for breaking our immigration laws.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,446 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Heywood

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:27 pm
wakeup wrote:
this has now spread beyond the border states and your state will eventually be next.

Ooooh Nooooo!!!! We could be next! Laughing

Welcome, Wake. The conservatives here could use a little more support. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:37 pm
Welcome, wakeup!

You wont belief it, but in Europe atm machines etc are asking you in at least three different languages to that of the "aborigines" what to do/what you want - even in "American"! :wink:
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:37 pm
Heywood wrote:
wakeup wrote:
this has now spread beyond the border states and your state will eventually be next.

Ooooh Nooooo!!!! We could be next! Laughing

Welcome, Wake. The conservatives here could use a little more support. Very Happy

I remember when they used to say the same thing about the Italians, Germans, <insert immigrant group here>.

As the child of immigrants (Italian/English/Scottish) I used to hear stories from my grandparents about how the immigrants were 'kept out' of anything resembling a good job.

My Grandfather came over from Italy as a trained Medical Doctor and was forced to drive a taxi because they 'Don't recognize Wops as real doctors'.

Are you afraid to give someone else a shot at the American Dream Wake?

Or do you prefer to go back to the signs that read 'No Dogs or Irish allowed'

Get a life Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:10 pm
Fedral's membership in the Conservative party may have cost $5 and his eternal soul. His thick, leather bound, gold leafed Bible may have cost $70. His membership in the NRA may be $40 per annum. But his utter inability to comprehend the irony of a hardcore conservative railing against typically conservative cultural protectionism is priceless.

MASTERTARD....for the priceless things in life.

...sorry, I just couldn't resist. An obligatory smiley: Laughing Laughing Laughing

In any case, I agree with him here.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:17 pm
IronLionZion wrote:

In any case, I agree with him here.

Now I KNOW the Apocolypse is here!

Smile Very Happy Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:35 pm
America is a huge country. It has large empty spaces & 250 million people. Plenty of breathing space and loads of elbow room. It's already very multi cultural. So what's the problem ?
I don't live there so it doesn't touch my life,,,,,, but I do live on a very small island that has 60 million people and in it's highly multi cultural capital there over 160 different recognised languages used regularly every day.

la merde n'a pas frappé le ventilateur
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:40 pm
Fedral got this one right.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:42 pm
Custer died for your sins.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:53 pm
Custer died because he was an arrogant prick.

I welcome the LEGAL immigration of anyone into the US. The Bosnians around here are getting a bad reputation, but they work damn hard!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:18 pm
Quote:
Custer died for your sins.

Quote:
Custer died because he was an arrogant prick.

same difference
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:35 pm
Did Custer know where he was from?
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:53 pm
Illegal aliens should be deported. All of them. End of story. Anyone helping to smuggle or hide them should be thrown in prison.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:56 pm
I don't like the sensationalist tone, but I think Wake has a good point.

I don't think high schools should be forced to publish in two languages. It only makes it harder on immigrants - legal or illegal - if they aren't pushed to learn the native language. I would learn Spanish if I went to spain, and people from Spain are better off learning English if they want to live here.

I can understand the ATM machine's - they are businesses and I don't think they should be regulated by the government. They can be in pacific south islander for all I care.

But the textbooks for public schools shouldn't be legally required to be bilingual. It holds kids back. I went to high school with a guy that couldn't speak any english - and he passed English class. What kind of a job is he going to be able to get without the ability to speak in the native tounge of the country he lives in?
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:07 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Illegal aliens should be deported. All of them. End of story.

Oh PLEASE. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:00 pm
Portal Star wrote:
But the textbooks for public schools shouldn't be legally required to be bilingual. It holds kids back.

Studies have shown you're wrong. Billingulism, or more than two languages actually increases a childs learning skills as well as intellect. My kids go to a billingual school, french and english. Almost every school in this city has a billingual/immersion program in many languages; cree, italian, spanish, german, ukrainian, polish, mandarin - cantonese, japanese and so on......................
Our schools consistantly outrank the national average. I don't think learning another language could ever be consisdered a bad thing, so what is your real fear???
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:03 pm
America has no official language. Why should a person have to give up their language to become an american?
Fedral has a good point.
This kind of rant p*sses me off.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:05 pm
Ceili wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
But the textbooks for public schools shouldn't be legally required to be bilingual. It holds kids back.

Studies have shown you're wrong. Billingulism, or more than two languages actually increases a childs learning skills as well as intellect. My kids go to a billingual school, french and english. Almost every school in this city has a billingual/immersion program in many languages; cree, italian, spanish, german, ukrainian, polish, mandarin - cantonese, japanese and so on......................
Our schools consistantly outrank the national average. I don't think learning another language could ever be consisdered a bad thing, so what is your real fear???

Speaking two languages is good. That's not what is going on. This program does not expose people who speak a foreign language to the English language. It isn't encouraging english kids or spanish kids to be bilingual - it is keeping them only able to speak one language. It isn't an immersion program it's there becuase teachers/lawmakers feel it is unfair to make foreign students learn a new language while going to school. So the Spanish speakers read the spanish section of the text and the English speakers read the english section.

As you can guess, this puts them at a major disadvantage when they get out of high school.

I think people in America should speak more languages. I absolutely love running into Germans when abroad - they can usually communicate with everybody.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:34 am
Iron, you have the ability to see through Fedral. Your suggestion is of course, right on the money. You should hear what he really thinks.

You guys have created a complicated subject here: illegal immigrants, English-Only America, Multi-Lingual like the rest of the world ( 60,000,000 on a small island, that has to be Britain or Japan... ) social racial purity, America-First, Prejudice, yikes, quite a stew.

Avec le francais tu apprends le "greek". Con el espanol tu apriendes el "latin", and English uses both greek and latin roots, therefore learning two or three laguages helps a person understand english better.

La merde est enquiquinante et assommante. Elle a une case de vide...zinzin, c'est vrai.

I know one thing. They shouldn't be able to arrive here and get on welfare without becoming a citizen first and working to pay taxes into the system. If someone wants to pay for them to come work cheap here, let the corporations do it, not the taxpayers. Let them pay for their welfare and unemployment benefits just like the rest of us do....like, for at least a few years before they can become eligible. That would keep plenty of them away...especially the more downtrodden types. They get food stamps, WIC and everything else just for showing up, and it's sticking it to Americans is what it is doing. Meanwhile the corporations are using them as devalued labor to save a few million bucks or two, and we flip the bill to keep food in their guts and roofs over their heads. The system needs to be paid for by those who want them here, the corporations.

Otherwise, who cares who is here, so long as they really want to be Americans and work their way up in life. Those who wish to do this have no choice but to learn english anyway, so don't think spanish is going to take over America or anything.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:24 am
IronLionZion wrote:
But his utter inability to comprehend the irony of a hardcore conservative railing against typically conservative cultural protectionism is priceless.

Just a little FYI, I do not count myself as a typical Conservative Republican. The problem with most people is that they tend to lump everyone that they know into a convenient pigeonhole with a label.

Yes I stand with my fellow conservatives on many subjects, but my stand on other subjects is a bit 'off Party platform.:

* I have been a member of the Republican Party since I started voting back in 1984 and have voted in every election since. I even helped out on campaigns BEFORE I was old enough to vote.

* I have been a Union member in good standing for many many years (Laborers Union here in Fla.) and have been a Union Shop Steward and have been in on contract negotiations and yet was one of only a few avowed Republicans among my Unions members.

* I believe abortion is morally repugnant, but the right for women have the ability to choose is paramount.

* I don't believe gays should be given and special treatment because I think all the laws and rights guaranteed to all citizens should be theirs without hinderance. (like the ability to marry, etc)

* I don't believe in affirmative action because I believe that everyone should be judged on their own merits.

* Up until my most recent job, all my previous jobs have been in the manual labor field (gardener, landscaper) and I also hold the record for holding the WORST job ever.

* I support immigration (as the son of immigrants) and I also support entering the country legally.

My views may be different from the 'rank and file' Conservatives, but thats what makes for interesting politics.
0 Replies