Calling Rocky - car info needed

Mame

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 06:47 am
Rocky, I just had the front wheel bearings replaced in my car, as well as a fuel intake gasket. Now they tell me the rear strut is immobile and they have to replace the both of them, and they said they had to do an alignment after. Is that true? As well, the rear right wheel bearing is squeaking a bit and needs replacing.

What happens if I don't do this stuff?

Also, all four of my tires had a slow leak (it's this damn freeze-thaw weather here) and they repaired all of them. Wouldn't they have done an alignment at that time?

Just want to make sure they're not finding more stuff to do for no real good reason.

Thanks!

thack45

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 09:11 am
@Mame,
What's the year, make and model?

If the rear strut is blown, it's a good idea the change them both. This may be what's squeaking. Never heard of doing alignment after rear suspension work, though that doesn't mean much.

Speaking of alignment, that wouldn't be typically be done after simple tire repairs. A second opinion from another shop (not a dealer) couldn't hurt.
djjd62

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 09:17 am
@Mame,
Calling Rocky - car info needed

i'd offer to help, but i'm the Bullwinkle of car repairs Razz
Mame

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 11:03 am
@thack45,
It's a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon.
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 11:03 am
@djjd62,
Thanks, anyway Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 11:23 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Also, all four of my tires had a slow leak (it's this damn freeze-thaw weather here) and they repaired all of them. Wouldn't they have done an alignment at that time?

did they take them off to repair them? if not, no alignment (at least not in Toronto - it's usually a separate charge)
Mame

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 03:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, they had to take them all off to grind the sulphides off the alloy. Plus they put new valve stems in them. I figured they'd do an alignment at that time, but...?
roger

Fri 21 Dec, 2012 03:17 pm
@Mame,
I would only expect an alignment to be performed routinely after replacement of a front strut, and then it would be billed seperately, at least around here.

Tell me more about that grinding sulphides off the alloy. I've never heard of that, and have no idea what it might be. Maybe something about corrosion on alloy wheels?
Mame

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 07:15 am
@roger,
Yes... it's due to our weather, I think. Sulphides, I mean. I don't know exactly. But apparently sulphides can build up and they have to grind it off as it can affect the seal.

I called a mobile mechanic for a second opinion and he's coming on Boxing Day. He told me I don't necessarily have to replace both struts or have an alignment, but I may have to. If the rear bearing isn't too bad, I'll wait on it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 09:06 am
@ehBeth,
If tires are removed you could spin balance them but there's no need for an alignment. Unless, of course, the alignment is off ...as in... the car is wandering on a flat road, etc..

When you change front struts it becomes essential to redo the alignment as that is normal maintenance. On some cars there are struts all around plus some cars also have the ability to do a rear alignment adjustment. If you have struts changed on the back, then you could need an alignment there, but I'll defer to a mechanical expert on that one.

I've never heard of this issue of sulphides on wheels and the need to grind off. Though, admittedly, I'm not an expert but it sounds unlikely to me.

Maybe rust (oxides) to be ground off ...but...?
Mame

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 09:49 am
@Ragman,
From wiki:

Alloy wheels are prone to galvanic corrosion, which can cause the tires to leak air if appropriate preventive measures are not taken.

Ragman

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 06:42 pm
@Mame,
You learn something new every day here. Thanks. Another reason for me not to own alloys (not that I can afford them).
Mame

Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:38 am
@Ragman,
Well, I wanted a second opinion on the assessment from the mechanics who did my bearings. They told me that my rear wheel bearing should be replaced, as well as my rear strut, and since they only do struts in pairs, both rear struts would have to be replaced, and then I'd need an alignment. Total: $900. I got this Mobile Mechanic to come out yesterday and paid him $142.00 for the visit, inspection and tightening of my power steering belt. He told me my struts were fine (took it for a test drive) and that the humming came from the loose p.s. belt. So, if he's right, I did spend $140, but I saved myself $750.00 in needless repairs.

nextone

Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:59 am
@Mame,
Sounds like a happy ending. I haven't owned a car for many years, but enjoy things mechanical. Was sad that Car Talk, NPR is no longer doing new programs, but listen to reruns.
0 Replies