How can something come from nothing?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 11:07 am
@JLNobody,
None of us would exist if it were not for time.
neologist

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
None of us would exist if it were not for time.
Of course we would exist.
But, we would always be late.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Indeed. Existence (or being) and time (or change) are coterminous if not synonymous.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:10 pm
@neologist,
No, neo, it would be the direct opposite of what you think. We would be too early, because time hasn't started.
neologist

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Either way we miss the snack plate.
0 Replies

Herald

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Nothing can exist without time.

Some people claim that the gravitational continuum has been exsiting before the Time to be launched.
What would you say about that: Does Time exist in the physical world? Is there any proof for the existence of Time? If Time exists in the physical world in the form of a field or something, which is its quantum carrier?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:54 pm
@Herald,
There needs to be some form of life for time to have meaning.
Herald

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
There needs to be some form of life for time to have meaning.

I hope you don't have in mind the sculpture at 1271 Avenue of the Americas, NYC.
So, your claim is that Time does not exist in that part of the Universe that we know nothing about, for now.
It is very interesting ... that something may exist only as representation (in our understanding of the world) without existing in the physical world.
Actually there are such precedents: the meridians and the parallels on the geographic map are exactly that case.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 08:48 pm
@Herald,
I don't understand what you're talking about. Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
spendius

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 04:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
H might mean that lines of latitude and longitude are pure beliefs with no reference to reality but useful for navigating just as Christian beliefs are pure beliefs with no reference to reality but useful for navigating the labyrinth of social interaction which is what all religions are for in the circumstances they arise in.

A year, on earth, is 365.24 days correct to 2 decimal places.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:23 am
@spendius,
Such constructions, as latitude and longitude, do have reference to "reality"in the sense that theyARE part of reality, human (symbolic) reality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:49 am
@JLNobody,
Longitude and latitude have had use for humans in navigation, they are not just 'symbolic.' They are real and useful for those who had to navigate ships or airplanes. No comparison to any religion that's based strictly on faith. No one knows it will lead to an afterlife.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:46 am
Quote:
Cicerone said:- Longitude and latitude have had use for humans in navigation, they are not just 'symbolic.' They are real and useful for those who had to navigate ships or airplanes. No comparison to any religion that's based strictly on faith. No one knows it will lead to an afterlife

Think of the Bible as a "navigation manual" mate to steer us through the pearlies.
In 'Gravity' Sandra Bullock was stranded in an orbiting spacecraft wondering how to save herself and get back to earth, so she pulls out the navigation manual to find out which buttons to press and bingo!- she makes it safely back to mother earth..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/grav-aa_zps6bb2c6e1.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/grav-bb_zps979810b7.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/grav-cc_zpsb2564c77.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gravity-2_zps206c1270.jpg~original

In a sense, the planet earth is like a spaceship sailing through space with us aboard, we don't know how we got here or where we're going when our bodies die, but the Bible tells us which buttons to press to save ourselves.
Basically we simply have to like Jesus enough to lock on to him like a navigation beacon, so that when our bodies die, our souls fly to him on automatic pilot..Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:09 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
How can anyone use the bible as a "navigational tool" when it has so many contradictions? Let's start with "thou shalt not kill."

Quote:
"And I will require the blood of anyone who takes another person's life. If a wild animal kills a person, it must die. And anyone who murders a fellow human must die.
spendius

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:17 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The way I explained it Romeo is that we are navigating the labyrinth of social interaction.

Your use of "pearlies" gives ci. an easy out.

He does not think there is a labyrinth of social interaction to be navigated. He thinks his social position has not been created for him by Christian morality. He thinks it grew on a tree and is just as natural.

I don't believe he has ever read a decent book in his life. As I pointed out to him with some of Shaw's lines, he hasn't the first clue how to read the Bible.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:20 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Look there how he goes from "kill" to "murder" with a flick of the wrist.

Some nonny eh? He actually expects us to follow such nonsense.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:30 am
Quote:
Cicerone said: How can anyone use the bible as a "navigational tool" when it has so many contradictions? Let's start with "thou shalt not kill."

Well I haven't killed anybody, yet..Smile
But like I said, the way to save ourselves is to LIKE JESUS, to form a bond/connection/mindmeld with him to get him inside our skulls-
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

So think of him as a being a 'Captain Sullenberger' alongside us in our heads, so that when our bodies die he takes over the controls and flies us to safety.
Remember when that airliner lost its engines when it hit a flock of birds over New York while the co-pilot was flying it?
Pilot Sullenberger immediately took over the controls with the words "My aircraft" and glided down for a safe landing in the Hudson, there ya go..Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 12:01 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
CLUE: You're not the only one using the bible as a "navigational tool."
Christian countries have been responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent men, women, and children. It's not about you!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 08:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
How can anyone use the bible as a "navigational tool" when it has so many contradictions? Let's start with "thou shalt not kill."
It's "Thou shall not murder."
Slight difference; but a great difference.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 08:35 pm
@neologist,
You religious guys are really funny! You even try to redefine words to fit your own sick minds.

Quote:
kill1
kil/
verb
cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing).
"her father was killed in a car crash"
synonyms: murder, take/end the life of, assassinate, eliminate, terminate, dispatch, finish off, put to death, execute; More

You guys 'slay' me! LOL

Quote:
mur·der
ˈmərdər/
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
"the stabbing murder of an off-Broadway producer"
synonyms: killing, homicide, assassination, liquidation, extermination, execution, slaughter, butchery, massacre; More
informal
a very difficult or unpleasant task or experience.
"my first job at the steel mill was murder"
synonyms: hell, hell on earth, a nightmare, an ordeal, a trial, misery, torture, agony More
verb
verb: murder; 3rd person present: murders; past tense: murdered; past participle: murdered; gerund or present participle: murdering
kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation.
"somebody tried to murder Joe"
synonyms: kill, put to death, assassinate, execute, liquidate, eliminate, dispatch, butcher, slaughter, massacre, wipe out; More
0 Replies