Human remains may have been among farm meat

caprice

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:42 am
It's stories like this that make me glad I'm a veggietarian.

For those outside of Canada, let me give you a bit of a rundown. A little over two years ago, police in the lower mainland of British Columbia (i.e. Vancouver and area) began investigating the disappearance of women dating back some 20 years. Most were prostitutes, which apparently don't rate too high up on the human scale with the authorities. Initially it was thought these women may have been victims of the Green River killer, Gary Ridgway, in Washington state. (Washington and British Columbia being border buddies and all.) But that wasn't the case. Police soon discovered bodies buried on a pig farm near Port Coquitlam, B.C. after doing a search of the property. (Place looked more like a pig factory to me than an actual farm. But I digress.) DNA testing proved these women to be among those missing.

Yesterday, B.C.'s provincial health officer said he couldn't "rule out the possibility that human remains were among meat processed" at the pig farm, owned in part by the accused, Robert Pickton. Thankfully this meat didn't make it into the commercial market, but it had been distributed to friends and neighbours for free and during barbecues.

Just another horrible discovery for the victims' families to endure.

I dunno about anyone else, but if I had meat in my freezer from this guy and found out about all the bodies being found on his property, I wouldn't even want to keep it. Anything associated with the place would conjure up vile images.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/03/10/canada/pigfarm031004
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 962 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:59 am
Gross. Just gross.

I'm sure you've heard about the piece of thumb served up at a Red Robin Restaurant lately? I can dig the link up, if necessary.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:03 am
Re: Human remains may have been among farm meat
caprice wrote:
It's stories like this that make me glad I'm a veggietarian.

It's stories like this that make me glad I'm humanitarian.

(Couldn't, really couldn't resist.)
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:16 am
What was going on up there? Was this some type of torture? How many people (perps) are involved?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:25 pm
One lonely pathetic loser took his frustrations, anger and inability to foster normal relationships out on street women, drug addicts, hookers and runaways. For twenty years this physcopath reigned terror over poor women. The police ignored the situation. One ugly little man destroyed so much and still has shown no remorse.
He owned a pig farm. For more than a year now the farm has been meticulously excavated, and they've found plenty of DNA evidence, unfortunatly there is very little for families to bury, because so much of the material is pulverized or missing.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:58 pm
No one suspected anything nefarious was going on?
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:24 pm
Kind of like burke and hare back in scotland

Burke and Hare were Irishman who dug up corpses and sold them to doctors who wanted to dissect them to learn more about human anatomy

Then they got the idea that it would be easier to just kill prostitutes and street people then actually digging.

I could be wrong about the facts though
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 02:48 pm
beebo: Well the guy is out on a farm, these women were mostly prostitutes and drug addicts so who would think twice to see them get into a vehicle and drive off. On the farm things would be isolated. I couldn't find any info as to how the police got tipped off...but I imagine it must have been by the suspicions of some people...perhaps other prostitutes who could finger the guy, or neighbours who may have seen some strange events. Either way, the police were directed to this guy's farm.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:16 pm
Canada's answer
For mad cow disease: People--
The other white meat.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:53 pm
too gross Joe!
He gave meat to his friends for free. I bet they are tossing their cookies thinking about it now.
Considering pigs eat anything, I can't help but wonder how many of these ladies were disposed of that way too.
But grinding them up into hamburger??
This is one sick case that will end up being a movie before long, unfortunately.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:58 pm
I never thought of it that way, but you have a great point solar! I bet that is part of it, if not all of it.
0 Replies