Hawaii Sen. Daniel Inouye, 88, dies

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 06:02 pm
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/12/17/daniel-inouye-hawaii-senator-dies/1776021/

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2012/12/17/ap-inouye-hospitalized-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Democrat Daniel Inouye, the U.S. Senate's most senior member and a Medal of Honor recipient for his bravery during World War II, has died. He was 88.

He died of respiratory complications, according to the Associated Press.

President Obama praised Inouye, saying the nation has "lost a true American hero."

"In Washington, he worked to strengthen our military, forge bipartisan consensus, and hold those of us in government accountable to the people we were elected to serve," Obama said in a statement. "But it was his incredible bravery during World War II -- including one heroic effort that cost him his arm but earned him the Medal of Honor -- that made Danny not just a colleague and a mentor, but someone revered by all of us lucky enough to know him."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., announced the news of Inouye's death on the Senate floor, sparking a round of tributes for the man Reid called "a giant of the Senate." Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., hailed Inouye's service and his reserve as a mark of "men who lead by example and expect nothing in return."

As president pro tempore of the Senate, Inouye was third in line of presidential succession -- after Vice President Biden and House Speaker John Boehner. First elected to the Senate in 1962, Inouye's tenure is second only to Democrat Robert Byrd of West Virginia, who died in 2010.

more at link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,489 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 06:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I was afraid this might happen when he was hospitalized a few days ago. This was one of the last of the true heroes of World War II who also went into politics afterward. Bob Dole was another; no partisan preferences can gainsay that.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:14 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
He was a great guy, one of the best in the senate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:11 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I recall the 60 Minutes interview they did of him--at the time of the Iran-Contra affair, i believe. I was impressed by him. Hell, anyone from the 442nd RCT/100the Infantry Battalion impresses me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:26 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I just knew the man's name. Seems he was a good guy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 09:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
RIP Senator

A great American.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
As It Happens just had a tribute to Senator Inouye- and replayed an interview clip with him from the 1980's. I'd forgotten what a lovely measured voice he had.

and google is our friend

this is the Daniel Inouye I recall

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/5112499484_003.do
0 Replies