I want to start doing Yoga, is this something would I be able to do at home?

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:23 am
Hello Friends,

I would like to start doing yoga, but because of a long commute to and from work I don't have much time. Is this something that I would be able to do at home reading from a book or watching instructional DVD's? Or is this something that needs to be done with an instructor?

Thank You
Steve Kelly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,113 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

Jessie1989

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 04:53 am
@SteveKelly,
I would love to know the answer to this too. I received a yoga mat and tried the "Yoga for Dummies" DVD but no longer have them. I actually liked them but felt like they were very basic
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:35 pm
@SteveKelly,
Let's see, the practice of yoga has been around for over a thousand years.

DVDs have been around for about 18 years...

Conclusion: You don't need a DVD.
0 Replies

djesse551

Fri 8 Feb, 2013 03:15 am
@SteveKelly,
I guess internet is available to almost household, you may consider searching some yoga techniques from a search engine, or you try searching at youtube, many videos about yoga are being shared. Just choose what could be the best for you.
0 Replies

saab

Fri 8 Feb, 2013 04:17 am
Personally I think a CD is better than a DVD.
You do not need to turn your head all the time to follow the instructions on the DVD.
I have tried both and the DVD I used once and the CD many times.
Also you might have more space in a room without a TV.
Yoga is something you can easily do at home alone.
It can sometimes even be better than in a group especially if you do it not only for your body but also your mind. In a group there might be more disturbance.
0 Replies

amygarside

Fri 8 Feb, 2013 06:08 am
@SteveKelly,
I think you are going to do well with a DVD as well. But if you are conscious of proper posture then you need to find a yoga place first.
saab

Fri 8 Feb, 2013 06:23 am
@amygarside,
When you do an exercise on your back you have to lift your head to see what to do - which often means an unnecessary straining movement to be able to watch TV.
When you lay on your side and have to twist to watch the picture behind you on the TV again you make a movement which does not fit into the yoga program.
In yoga your movements should be flowing and without strain.
0 Replies

johnats

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:51 pm
There are several people who have tried to learn yoga from instructional dvds and books and are continuing it. But IMO, it is best to learn it from an instructor initially. Yoga, unlike other kinds of exercise is directed towards not just the body but also the mind. As such, it is necessary to learn the breathing techniques and postures associated with each posture from someone who has learned and has the experience to teach you. Besides, a DVD is one sided. Having the physical presence of a trainer helps to correct any mistakes that you might be doing repeatedly. Once you pick it up, you can continue doing it on your own.
0 Replies