Do you need to actually breath before each phrase when singing?

CGrassa

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:02 pm
My vocal coach taught me how to breath properly, but when I watch my favorite singers like Johnny Cash or other country people, it does not look like they breath in before each phrase. And when I'm singing, I feel like I don't need to be as strict with my breathing as instructors tend to say. I feel just imagining my voice coming from my gut keeps me supporting the tone and not straining with my throat. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,209 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 10:22 pm
@CGrassa,
Whoever said that Johnny Cash was a great singer. He was popular, he was talented, pleasing sound, but not really a technically great singer.

If you don't see your fave singer breathing before each phrase, trust me it's because they learned how to hide doing it.

Back to the subject... your instructor is trying to teach how to sing properly with technique. I think there's something in singing technique that has you fairly undetectedly inhaling through nostrils before each phrase, as opposed to gulping or gasping audibly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:01 pm
@CGrassa,
While I can't answer your question, I do know that many singers learn to breathe using the diaphram instead of expanding the rib cage. It's possible the ones you have seen are breathing right along, and you just didn't notice.
0 Replies