Can you feel your death approaching?

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 04:06 pm
Can we rewrite the sentence "Can you feel your death approaching?" as follows?

1-) Can you feel your death approaches?
2-) Can you feel your death is approaching?

Which of those sentences above is natural, grammatically correct and have the same meaning with the original sentence?

Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,285 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 04:10 pm
@cicibebe,
My choice would be: "Can you feel your death as it approaches?"
cicibebe

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 04:17 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you for answers. But would you please examine my sentences and tell me whether they are correct and they have the same meaning with the original one?
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 04:19 pm
@cicibebe,
Your second is acceptable. Also, the sentence I gave you is correct.
cicibebe

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 04:24 pm
@Ragman,
But some native speakers have different opinions than yours:
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2546533

I am not confronting you, mind you, just asking and trying to get a correct answer. Sad
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 04:32 pm
@cicibebe,
I revise my answer, in looking back. The first one is acceptable, too. I personally choose differently as ther second or mine feels better to my ear. Proper grammar does allow for your choices.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 04:44 pm
@cicibebe,
cicibebe wrote:
Can we rewrite the sentence "Can you feel your death approaching?"

Why would you want to rewrite the sentence? Anyhow,

1-) Can you feel your death approaches?

No. A gerund is the correct verb form.

2-) Can you feel your death is approaching?

Possibly.

Quote:
Which of those sentences above is natural, grammatically correct and have the same meaning with the original sentence?

Is this a direct question, (a sick person is asked if they can feel their death approaching) or a question where "you" means "one"? Is the "can" an enquiry about possibility? The question could mean "Is it possible for a person to feel their death approaching?"

Many thanks!
[/quote]
cicibebe

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:57 am
@contrex,
Hello,

Thank you very much for your your answer.

1-) I wanted to know whether we can rewrite the sentence. I believe the sentence is fine as is. But the reason that I asked if we could rewrite the sentence was to learn other grammar options. I am a non-native speaker so it would be better for me to know other ways to form a sentence.

2-) This is a question which I heard in a video game. A demon is talking down on the hero, and trying to kill him, and saying "Can you feel your death approaching?"

0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:05 pm
@cicibebe,
I believe 1 is incorrect, due to the fact 'you approach it'. It does not actually exist yet to approach you.

Though 2 might imply the source is with you.
MURDOCK212

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 06:20 pm
@nothingtodo,
To be honest from my beliefs, I believe that everyone should be feeling that their death will be approaching some day but it's never guaranteed because nobody knows exactly when your death will approach you even depending on whether your seriously & critically in a situation which is risks your life onto a life or death matter you will still never know accept God knows the true answer to this question But the best we can do is stay positive and not think for the negative, the reason why most people would not answer this question is because they are too busy dealing with earthly things, e.g working 9-5, studying etc, because most of the time being spent on this world we never give a thought on death and what will come after death that's why I try my best to focus on my religion, do good and ensure that I Aim for the real prospects of life which is to enter Heaven after death (the permanent life), but no not everyone perfect, I'm not even perfect, we all make mistakes but i try my hardest to fear God, stay positive and keep my focus on death although I do not know when it will be my last days but yeahh i hope that every one keeps death in their mind because it's the greatest invention God has made..
contrex

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 11:36 am
@MURDOCK212,
MURDOCK212 wrote:
To be honest from my beliefs....

You missed the point; it was an English grammar question.
MURDOCK212

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 08:09 pm
@contrex,
Sorry for posting a paragraph lol, just read what was written at the top, misuderstood the topic but anyway thanks for reminding me!
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:40 am
@MURDOCK212,
Thank you though, I found what you wrote novel and different.. Not everyone has such a clear grasp of stoic clarity.

Kudos.
0 Replies