A behavior for justice?

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:38 pm
A behavir helping other in emergency. For example, Ann was walking in a silent lane, where a bad man attacked her, and wanted to rape her. Hearing her cry, Jack rushed to the spot and drove the attacker away. The behavior that Jack did is "a behavior for justice"? I supposed this is rhetorically improper. But how to describe this?

I know how to describe this in Chinese, but don't know how to do in English. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 556 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:45 pm
I think this came up in another context; Jack would be a good samaritan. Or else her rescuer, her hero, her protector, her knight in shining armor (probably not for this situation -- more like if he rescued her cat from a tree.)

Does that help?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
Hi sozobe. Another context was about "助人为乐" in Chinese, and this one is "见义勇为". The both were different, though they could all be called good samaritan.

Your comment referred to "her" in particular. What I wanted to know is a term/phrase or an idiom for general use, with which we can describe any kind of samaritan behavior like Jack helped 3 boys in emergency.

But thanks for reply. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:37 pm
Good samaritan would be for anything. Rescuer, hero, and savior, too. Knight in shining armor and protector would be slightly more gender specific; a man helping a woman. (Knight in shining armor more than protector.)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:10 am
Thanks Sozobe. That sounds interesting! Very Happy
0 Replies