Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 04:11 pm
Roberta: from a website..."Its origins can be traced back to pre-Christian Rome and the harvest festival honoring the harvest god Saturn. Held in mid-December, all class distinctions were immediately abolished. Slaves and their masters switched roles during the Saturnalia festival - with laws governing sensible, upright behavior suspended during the days-long holiday.

"Most of Medieval Europe took up the torch of raucousness by electing a Lord of Misrule, or King of Fools, during their festival. This harlequin king went by many names: King of the Bean in England, the Abbot of Unreason in Scotland, the Abbe de la Malgouveme in France. All had the power to call people to disorder throughout the town. Cross dressing, bawdy songs, drinking to excess, etc."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:29 pm
Misrule? What Piffka said..... teehee...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 06:39 pm
Raucousness, missrule, bawdy songs and rowdy behavior, Oooooo, I'll have what she's having!!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 06:41 pm
ehBeth- I see that you are up to your neck in snow again! Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 06:46 pm
ehBeth, You want my bones? You got 'em. But leave my bits the hell alone.

Thanks, Piffka, for the misrule enlightenment. We didn't do misrules in the Bronx--at least not in my neighborhood.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
Wowsers - A Brief Digression
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:07 pm
Ah, 'twas a fine drunken midnight choir we had last night an'all - thing is - many of us set up and sang in a real choir for a few years together, so we know the songs and the harmonies - tee hee - hope the neighbours like them old political songs!

But today - I abstain....

So - who are our queen and king of Misrule? And what shall their orders be...hmmmmmmm?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:08 pm
We had a six o'clock swill in Oz, too, when I was a weelowan......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:57 am
So I was minding my own business after work, letting out the dog, reading the mail, turning on the computer, meandering about thinking about how I should really finish the walls in the dining room, it's been two years now, when there was the racket, this hornblowing, this cacaphony, and I looked out and remembered as I looked, yes, yes, it was the Truck Parade. But, this year my front lights were entirely out, and this year, the sky was not only dark but pouring rain, and there they came, the gaudily glossily lit trucks, after trucks, logging trucks, hauling trucks, tow trucks hauling tow trucks hauling tow trucks,
blazening glistening trucks alight in the rain. So, I pulled up a door jamb and leaned and watched for fifteen minutes.. well, it's not that big a town. Parades are wonderful but ephemeral here. Zip with the lights, and then out.

quiet now.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 02:23 am
How do I hang the stockings by the chimney with care? I don't have a chimney and all my stockings have runs in them. I must put Plan B into action. If only I had a Plan B ........
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 02:31 am
forget about plan B, go right to plan c, d, e, f g,...whatever works.

no worries.

what the hell is a run in a stocking anyway?
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 02:36 am
Mikey, you must be younger than you look. Runs in stockings ..... mostly a thing of the past, I suppose.

I'll skip Plan B since I don't have one. In fact, I think I'll go straight to plan ZZZZZZZ. A good night's rest should cure these brain hiccups of mine.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 08:02 am
ahhh!!!!
but i was so much older then
i'm younger than that now

i do love those fishnet stocking thingys tho, and black ones too, esp with runs in them...plan Z sounds like a good plan.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 08:15 am
A Truck Parade??? Wow! Were they decorated with Christmas lights?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:29 pm
Lil K
16 jars of chutney made - 2 strengths - "hot" and "take roof out of mouth" - available for collection chez Margo. I posted one to the US last year, and the US postal service is still trying to get rid of it- it broke in transit, and they delivered to my friend the soggy, sticky carton it came in. I had to replace it - posted it in a tin, at some cost. And it meant I didn't have enough to see me through this year - I've had to buy chutney Crying or Very sad

Get your orders in...will be held until Christmas Eve, then all orders cancelled, and we'll eat it with the ham!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:39 pm
mikey, you were once older (and wiser, I presume?) Laughing
Of course, being wiser can become a drag. I think I'll order some of margo's chutney sauce. Maybe it will go to my brain and kill a few cells, or revive them, or make me want to go out and buy fishnet stockings. Shall I get the "hot" or "take roof out of mouth" kind? Chutney or stockings ... either one.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:46 pm
Margo -- If Janet happens to come by... do you think you could send a small jar home with her??? She and I could eat it together and toast you! Either strength is fine with me! Thanks!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:52 pm
Now, there's keen (or loony!)

Piffka's arranging collection!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 01:56 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 04:18 pm
I once wore fishnet stockings. When I took them off, my tootsies were cross-hatched. It lasted for a long time. Thought I was marked for life.

Margo, Mango chutney? Sounds good. I'll have the take the roof of your mouth off variety. Don't need the roof much anyway.
0 Replies