Euro back-stabbers for Kerry

Fedral

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:01 pm
Euro back-stabbers for Kerry[/u]
Tony Blankley
March 10, 2004

Last weekend, John Kerry, while meeting with a small group of Florida contributors, claimed that: "I've met foreign leaders who can't go out and say this publicly, but boy, they look at you and say, You've got to win this, you've got to beat this guy, we need a new policy, things like that." The candidate refused to identify the names of these leaders. I confess, I don't quite know what to make of this claim.

While it is certainly plausible that many foreigners don't like the president of the United States, my first question is whether Mr. Kerry is telling the truth. When, exactly, did he meet with these foreign leaders? Note that he doesn't merely say he talked with them (by telephone.) He claims he "met" them and "they looked at" him while they were saying these things.

Senator Kerry has been on public view almost every day since he started running for president last year (except for the period of his hospitalization, when he obviously could not have been traveling around the world). I don't recall seeing him in Europe, the Middle East or on other foreign travel during that period. (His campaign office wouldn't respond to my inquiry for a record of his foreign travel in the last year.) Nor do I recall seeing or reading about foreign heads of state meeting with Sen. Kerry when they visited Washington during the last many months.

In the absence of any public evidence that he has met with several foreign leaders recently, the burden of proof should be on Sen. Kerry to prove that he didn't just make up this little story that he told a small group of Florida contributors -- with one telltale reporter present. George W. Bush was pressured to provide his dental records to prove he had attended the Alabama National Guard in 1973. (He provided them, and he did attend.) It only seems fair to pressure Sen. Kerry to provide his passport or other documents for 2003 to prove he really met with these "foreign leaders" either here or abroad.

But beyond whether or not John Kerry lied about this convenient little anecdote, the fact that he thought it was a useful story to publicly recount certainly tells us something about how he views America and the world.

The American public rarely has put a particularly high value on the opinion of foreign leaders. Mostly, we ignore them or assume they are up to little or no good. During a war, we may admire an allied leader such as Winston Churchill (or Berlin Mayor Willy Brandt during the Cold War). But Americans traditionally feel self-sufficient -- even insular.

It is true that certain Americans -- typically living (or wishing they did) north of the Potomac River and within 50 miles of the Atlantic Ocean -- feel inferior to Europeans regarding high culture and fine dining. But even those Europhiles didn't look to France, Italy or Germany for guidance on how to run a democracy. I am assuming that Mr. Kerry was referring to more or less democratic leaders. Surely he is not referring to former Haitian leader Aristide, various Middle East potentates or African dictators. As the leaders of Italy, Spain, Britain, Poland, Romania and Bulgaria have been strong allies of George Bush, one has to assume that he (Mr. Kerry) is referring to France's Chirac, Germany's Schroeder, Russia's Putin, Belgium's whoever, etc. Mr. Putin is far too smart to bad mouth the president. So Sen. Kerry must be referring to Chirac, Schroeder or some of their lesser Euro-running dog lackeys.

But Senator Kerry obviously believes the times are changing. He believes that there may be millions of Americans who will be impressed by the fact that hand kissing, back-stabbing, atheistic, sophisticated Euro-leaders prefer John Kerry to George Bush.

Whether or not he actually met with any of these leaders, I would suspect that he is right that they would much prefer to do business with a notional President Kerry. Doubtlessly, Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev enjoyed dealing with President Carter more than with President Reagan.

Weak American presidents who feel the need to apologize for America protecting its interests in the world are invariably favored by both our enemies and our competitive friends. The French couldn't stand our last cowboy president, Ronald Reagan.

I am sure that M. Chirac will be glad to continue to kiss Mr. Kerry's hand -- as long as Mr. Kerry will kiss a lower, dorsal part of M. Chirac's anatomy. But I rather doubt John Kerry will get elected president by American voters while in that posture.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 693 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:08 pm
Quote:
Kerry must be referring to Chirac, Schroeder or some of their lesser Euro-running dog lackeys.

And I thought, Tony Blair was always nicknamed "poodle" :wink:

Besides, it might be of some interest that the above quoted article is from Novinite.com, which "publish the latest economic, political
and cultural news that take place in Bulgaria".

LINK for Fedral's post
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
"I've met foreign leaders who can't go out and say this publicly, but boy, they look at you and say, You've got to win this, you've got to beat this guy, we need a new policy..."

Hmmmm, the corporations doing business overseas with foreign investors have nothing to say to Bush? Just who is backstabbing whom? And who is getting left out in the lurch here? Could it be successful Americans getting undercut for being too successful? Why aren't they parading the Enron criminals around like they are Martha? Their crimes were far worse, but who even knows their names?

People are telling Kerry the world needs to dump Bush. Now THERE's a big surprise after Bush deliberately backed away from most of the planet before engaging in Iraq.

Gee, what are all these foreigners thinking? How could they take such a stance against the semi-divine Bush? Don't they fear the wrath of God? They know they don't have to fear the wrath of Ashcroft at this time....

Are we going to have to defend against political hacking calling itself wisdom forever?
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:18 pm
A key point about the paster of articles here is that he NEVER includes what the media is that he takes his copying from. That's a violation of copyright laws for one thing, and I suspect if we knew the names of the rags he is doing his reporting from, we'd be far less inclined to actually read the tripe.

I freelance for political hack rags on occassion when I am in the mood to play around with the slant game. The many many such rags that print the most outrageously insane thinking is really quite astounding. Apparently they all find their niches to keep their magazines and websites alive, but it is amazing considering most of the stuff they print is sheer nonsense and fantasy.

I suggest that if Fedral wants to be taken more seriously ( good luck with that ) then he might do well to include the name of the medium he is taking his articles from to post here. We have a right to know if any blatant slant is at work here for one thing. It's just the right thing to do, and highly suspicious that it isn't being done.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:21 pm
Thanks for the link, Walter. Knowing the source of an article is an important part of understanding it. Ah but for the kindness of strangers...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

ah yes fedral.....anyone supporting kerry or more specifically not suporting bush is anti american.....how long exactly was it you thought that blind, crippled, notch eared dog would hunt?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

ah yes fedral.....anyone supporting kerry or more specifically not suporting bush is anti american.....how long exactly was it you thought that blind, crippled, notch eared dog would hunt?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:22 pm
"Running dog lackeys"? Wow--I hadn't heard that kind of language since the Vietnam War era. Thanks, fedral, for the memories...

(By the way, I suspect Mr. Orwell would be rolling in his grave if he knew you were using a quote of his for your sig. But, then again, Orwell, like the Bible, will confirm any ideology if you look long enough.)
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:27 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
"Running dog lackeys"? Wow--I hadn't heard that kind of language since the Vietnam War era. Thanks, fedral, for the memories...

Always happy to bring a smile to peoples faces.

And here is the REAL link I got the article from:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/tonyblankley/tb20040310.shtml
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
LINK for Fedral's post

Actually, that link specifies the piece as one from the Washington Times
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:32 pm
nimh wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
LINK for Fedral's post

Actually, that link specifies the piece as one from the Washington Times
ooops. Embarrassed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:34 pm
Well, the Washington Times is also just ... the Washington Times ;-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:36 pm
That's RIGHT! Laughing
0 Replies