What explains normative behavior of foot binding to be popular in China, if not Neo-Confucianism?

Reverie

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 10:24 am
Late in the T'ang Dynasty (618-906) foot binding begin, and upon the wake of Neo-Confucianism in Song Dynasty (960-1297), foot binding gradually spread through the upper class, and this stayed with the chinese throughout the Ming and Qing dyansty.
When Neo-Confucianism spread from China to Korea during its Joseon dynasty, the foot binding tradition was not transferred from China to Korea.
What explains this discrepancy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,377 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 10:57 am
@Reverie,
Koreans were smarter?
Koreans didn't like putting young girls and women through pain?
Koreans didn't like putting young girls and women through unnecessary procedures that would leave them as invalids.
Koreans didn't find this practice beautiful?
Koreans found this practice barbaric and inhuman.
Koreans couldn't see the purpose of handicapping half the population.
Koreans liked women.
Reverie

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 11:07 am
@Ceili,
Thanks for your input.
Many customs are not rooted in sanity, I agree. It'd be great if you have articles supporting it. I was searching for cultural differentials, and I've coming across Korea's rich dance traditions as compared to China (however it doesn't imply why there weren't support or draw any connection to foot binding). There were dances in China involving a binded foot, however, it was more of a dance attuned to the movement (or lack of movement) of the binded foot.
Do you think the discrepancy in dance traditions and customs prevented the spread of foot binding to Korea?
It was a man dominated society during the Neo-Confucian times. So do you think it was the preference of Korean men who preferred women who could dance, and thus the custom of foot-binding was never imposed on women?
Reverie

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 11:33 am
@Reverie,
Quote:
It'd be great if you have articles supporting it.

That came out wrong. I was meaning to say if you know any journal articles, titles will do, of why foot binding became popular at the same time Neo-Confucianism was established in China. It's for a paper, so I have the resources via the Univ. access to online databases to find the articles.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 01:43 pm
@Reverie,
This NPR article may give you some leads to follow:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8966942

Here are some other articles that may provide additional leads:

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9/phalsall/studpages/vento.html

http://www.anthropology.hawaii.edu/people/faculty/Blake/pdfs/1994%20%20Foot-binding%20in%20Neo-Confucian%20China.pdf

Why Chinese Neo-Confucian Women Made a
Fetish of Small Feet

http://www.ibiblio.org/chinesehistory/contents/01his/c02s03.html

http://worldhistoryconnected.press.illinois.edu/9.1/lee.html

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Great herd of links, Butrfly!
0 Replies

Reverie

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 11:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the links.
If you or anyone is interested....
I've stumbled across a book called History of Imperial China : China's Cosmopolitan Empire : The Tang Dynasty by Lewis, Mark Edward.
The book suggests that the generalization that Neo-Confucianism is the main cause of the practice is wrong, and that it was a fetish like fashion statement. Although it doesn't say anything more than that.

Upon further searching, I've found an article
"Gender and Sinology: Shifting Western Interpretations of Footbinding, 1300-1890" by Ebrey Patricia B.

Women's role in society was placed to be more involved with house duties instead of city life and court life, before Tang dynasty. But it has to be clarified when "women" is mentioned. The women in the higher social ladder were the ones who were "culturally" and "socially" pressured into complying with the custom of foot-binding. Women in the middle and and lower rung of society had to work and earn income for their family, as such, foot binding was more of a fashion symbol that was equated to higher status. Influences for this fashion is not clear, however, (similar to how one doesn't know the influence of high heeled shoes I suppose), but conjectures include marriage customs, China’s relations with its nomadic neighbors, decline of Chinese masculinity in men in the Tang period (so the obvious action to take is to make female's standard of femininity a rung lower LOL).

The origin of this custom is not well recorded, therefore a very hazy, and messy subject to work with, but I suppose what I have to work with will do for now.
0 Replies