Can a thread be removed or locked?

Ceili

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 08:47 pm
Oh man. Such a sad outcome.
My sincerest condolences to all his friends and family.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 09:00 pm
@firefly,
Other peoples' down votes don't affect what I see, a choice of mine, but I've had that one on ignore, so I did have to look for it. I see him in trouble too, in his way.

I haven't posted my dismay on the thread yet. I don't know what I want - people sending love and hate and self satisfaction on the thread, or saying what I think here and letting the thread be. Doesn't matter what I want, I'm just talking.

Anyway, I can picture being Thom.
0 Replies

jerksru

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 07:47 am
@firefly,
Some of the other thread was talk directly at Thom and they were HORRIBLE comments. What happened to Thom was completely out of his character. People do make mistakes. Even great people. He was high up at his job, and very well...no super well respected. Even after the accident. He is a great person. Very soft spoken, but very friendly. Always had a smile on his face, and always made sure to talk to everyone he came in contact. He always made sure to tell you that you were doing a great job even if your accomplishment was small. I worked with him for 16 years. He was absolutely awesome. We were so sad when he left us, but we also understood that he was very over whelmed with everything going on and very stressed. We will miss you so much Thom. Rest in peace my friend.
firefly

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 08:58 am
@jerksru,
It is nice to learn something more about Thom, beyond the fact that he was involved in that accident, since that was all that most of us really knew about him.

Your description of him as a friendly and very thoughtful man, and "a great person" you worked with for 16 years, is the real legacy he leaves behind--he was someone who was liked and respected and admired. And he was obviously someone who will be missed, and fondly remembered, by the friends, like you, who are now grieving his loss.

The positive memories we leave in the minds and hearts of those who knew us are far more important than any negative comments made by some nitwit on a forum thread

Sloan

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 01:10 pm
I don’t think the tread should be removed, there are enough people watching it to vote down any troll that comes along. People drink and drive everyday and don’t think of the consequences involved, most are just lucky to make it home or to get a DUI, this is an example of those that are not so lucky. It sure drew awareness to a lot of people in this small community.
0 Replies

jerksru

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 11:00 pm
@firefly,
Thank you for saying something so positive about someone you don't know. God knows even the best of us make mistakes. I just wish everyone knew Thom. He really was just an awesome, friendly, cheerful, loving guy. You really couldn't ask for anything more in a person. God be with you Thom. You, I am sure of, will have the biggest crowd at your funeral and well deserved my friend. So, well deserved. I LOVE YOU !!!
Mame

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 12:39 pm
@jerksru,
It's so distressing (to me) when people commit suicide. I believe it should be legal, but the distressing part is whatever drives them to it. I knew a woman on another board for about 10 or 11 years and found out two years ago from another board member that she had left her husband, moved to Texas and committed suicide within months. We had all gone through her university degrees, her relationship, her activities, etc with her, and had a lot of laughs together, so we really felt we knew her. The ironic thing is she was a psychologist who helped women in need.

I feel similarly with Thom - not that I knew him, but that he was a normally happy guy driven to suicide. That's so very, very sad. Perhaps he just couldn't face his future or his guilt.

Mame

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 12:39 pm
@jerksru,
Firefly has a lot of class.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 01:55 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
feel similarly with Thom - not that I knew him, but that he was a normally happy guy driven to suicide. That's so very, very sad. Perhaps he just couldn't face his future or his guilt.

I will agree hundred percent that you do not need to know a person in real life to feel the lost due to suicide as I remember one of my favor author killing himself due to him being in a very bad financial situation as a result of a divorce and having his business manager dying and leaving funds owing to him in limbo.

If it had mean more years of enjoying his works and as a show of gratitude for his past works I myself would had written a large check and there was similar comments from others after the news of his death came out.

One wonder if he had any idea how must he was respected by the readers and others he had touch over the years.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 02:36 pm
@BillRM,
People are Human and we all make mistakes.. I am very sad that the thought obviously had been in his mind and he went through with it and that, just like being in your own home, no one can protect someone who challenges that thought, though I wish that they could.

0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:44 pm
The boys are home and Morgan now knows about Thom. That didn’t go over well. I think he’s overwhelmed with grief. He’s just sick with guilty feeling for starting that thread.

I knew he would take it hard.

It’s a thread about a local news story, its not like Thom took his life because of a thread on the Internet.
Mame

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:57 pm
@Keith424,
Are you saying Thom knew about this thread?! Surprised
JPB

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:59 pm
No, he means the other one.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:59 pm
@Mame,
He was told about it from a few in town but from what I have heard he stayed away from reading it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:02 pm
Someone else said this discussion caused him GREAT stress.

http://able2know.org/topic/182157-160#post-5189452
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:06 pm
A lot of the people on the thread, including Firefly, slammed or were very stern re Thom.

This wasn't the thread starters's fault, his posting it was reasonable.

I think every one of us are mourning.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:11 pm
@Keith424,
One of the difficult outcomes of a suicide is that those left behind have to decide for themselves the reason for the act.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:13 pm
@JPB,
I know who that person is, just a drama queen in town. That thread didn’t cause any stress for Thom, he stayed away from it. I know for a fact he deleted his facebook account and stayed off the Internet entirely and that was not long after the accident.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:20 pm
@Keith424,
Quote:
I know who that person is, just a drama queen in town. That thread didn’t cause any stress for Thom, he stayed away from it. I know for a fact he deleted his facebook account and stayed off the Internet entirely and that was not long after the accident.

A bright thing to do given his situation and likely his lawyer also told him to keep off the net as without one hell of a lot of knowledge any browning less alone any comments he make along with email and so no was open to be the prosecutors to be subpoena.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:01 pm
@Keith424,
Good to know. My condolences to all who knew him and cared about him.
0 Replies