Where do I go from here?

codeblu

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 02:01 pm
Sadly, I am appealing to this forum for balance and honest opinions about my marital situation. I cannot sort things out on my own right now because my emotions interfere with my ability to think logically.
My wife and I have been together for 10 years. We married after 4 years.
Her extreme insecurity has driven my friends away and caused severe pain and anguish throughout our years. We almost didn't make our honeymoon because she couldn't control her insecurity long enough for us to get from the limo to the plane. Months will go by without problems, but any time that another female is even mentioned, whether it be business related, an old friend encountered while out or whatever the case, the ending result is me being attacked, accused and verbally assaulted. It never gets physical, but the emotional and spiritual damage has taken its toll. I cannot continue to live like this. She seems to feel that she can continue to do this time after time and then apologize and I should just get over it. It is extremely difficult for me to get over being told that I am not trustworthy. I do not drink, smoke, hang out or even use profanity (I may use a curse word or two when I am very, very angry)
We have gone to therapy. She is on medication. Initially, all was well and then she stopped taking the medication without telling anyone. She recently went into another jealous rage that was so bad it actually frightened me.
She said and did things that I am not sure there is any turning back from.
I did not sleep in the same bed with her for a couple of weeks. Now she's blaming me for being distant. I cannot get over that ugly, vulgar monster I experienced. I definitely cannot take another episode like this. I need help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,192 • Replies: 6
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 08:20 pm
@codeblu,
Hi Code,

Do you understand that counselling is not just for people with problems, but people involved with problems? None of us are born with the ability to deal with problems - we need to learn them. All of us learn useful things in our lives, but we all have a lack of learned ability to deal with particular issues...hence why counselling can help.

One thing you need to understand - our beliefs affect our actions, and our actions affect our beliefs...any time you act contrary to your beliefs (if done so often enough, which is usually only 3 times +) you will modify your beliefs...

The problem here is that if you accept another persons version of events...you will through 'lack of action' (which is an action) modify your beliefs...(see next brackets)

In other words - you know who you are and what you think is right, but in allowing your wife to control who you have as friends - you change your beliefs to accomodate that...(you don't always get rid of the old belief - sometimes you add in a belief that 'explains' the contradiction)

Fortunately or unfortunately - your beliefs in this area are incredibly deep, and you are now stuck in a conumdrum - how do you reclaim your right to friendship (with either male or female friends) and keep your marriage?

You can do this - so long as you are prepared to accept that your wife is who she is (ie. she will scream and rage at you), even while you have the right to your friendships...and you stand up for that right (no matter how she tries to paint it - you hold on to your goodness, and your right to friends...and you actively do so)

It's not perfect. She needs help, and you need to be yourself...decide what's acceptable to you, and behave accordingly. If from there the relationship itself becomes a problem - then you can decide where to go with full acceptance of who you are, and who she is.

That's the simplified version - it's no easy to achieve though Smile
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 03:06 pm
She is on medication - for WHAT?

These jealous rages are probably just ONE symptom and unless she stays on medication, you will not get to see the real woman you love.

This is very sad. You need to talk to her counselor together and figure out how you are going to stay in a marriage where you will be attacked, emotionally and, most likely in the future, physically.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 03:17 pm
@codeblu,
Hi Code.

I gather you believe in marriage for ever.. I hope codeblu is not a thought in the wrong direction, regarding yourself because whilst you can not change a person, you can change your life and how you choose to live it.

Emotional abuse is one of the worst abuse in my opinion, because the constant put downs wear you thin and at some stage, some people actually start to believe what they are being told.. Those words are usually spoken as you stated, through in-security and the intent is to belittle you so far that you think that you are not worthy ever, of anyone else. It's a form of control.

I get the opinion that if she takes medication things are alot better, but they are not all roses. You need to laugh, smile, be happy. We only live once.

Do not let another person, put you down so far that you feel that you have sunk and you can't swim because you can swim...

What you experienced was traumatic, if it frightened you that much and if it has kept you away from her.

You need to speak to someone about it, understand it in its totality and realise that nothing you could have possibly have done, should have provoked such a response as you recieved.

Honestly? I would find somewhere to go for a couple of months, talk this out with a councellor so you can 1) find some peace, 2) understand it is not your fault and 3) re-claim who you are, find yourself again before you met this woman and then decide what you want to do from there.

No one deserves to feel the way you are feeling and no one has the right to make you feel that way.. This is your life.

codeblu

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 02:59 pm
@vikorr,
Thank you for your response.
Yes, I do understand the scope of counseling, which is why we both go. I also attended the initial meeting with the psychiatrist we were referred to
for support and so that I understand as much as I can about what's going on. These are recent actions I have taken.
It is because I will not sacrifice certain principles and beliefs that we have conflicts.
My dilemma at this point, is in determining whether or not this marriage is doomed. Do I accept that because she requires medication to "maintain" it is my duty to stand by her, fearing that she could stop taking the medication again? Is it selfish to say 'no more' under the circumstances?
0 Replies

codeblu

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 03:13 pm
@PUNKEY,
Hi Punkey
I'm not sure that the specific reason for her taking medication is what's important. Whether it's for blood pressure or cancer, it's how the medication impacts us that poses uncertainty.
I believe I have seen the "real woman". I fell in love with her. I want her back.
0 Replies

codeblu

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2012 03:36 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Yes, Found Soul, I do believe in marriage forever. But I also believe in the truth. I believe that my circumstance asks me to either honor my vows or live hearing a constant ticking.
You're right. Emotional abuse sucks! I feel like I am in some sort of stupor.
I have always been that person who says something funny to break the silence on a crowded elevator. People who know me know I'm always smiling or laughing. That's me. That's who I am. That's the truth. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help lift this stranger.
0 Replies