U.S. Media is not "Liberal"

pistoff

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:45 pm
Major New Study Blasts Media Coverage of WMDs
by E&P Staff

NEW YORK --
Quote:
A new study of how the media has covered the issue of weapons of mass destruction (WMD), released today, concludes, "Many stories stenographically reported the incumbent administration's perspectives on WMD, giving too little critical examination of the way officials framed the events, issues, threats and policy options."

The other three main conclusions of the study conducted by the Center for International and Security Studies at Maryland (CISSM) and the University of Maryland: Too few stories offered alternative perspectives to the "official line" on WMD surrounding the Iraq conflict; most journalists accepted the Bush administration linking the "war on terror" inextricably to the issue of WMD; and most media outlets represented WMD as a "monolithic menace" without distinguishing between types of weapons and between possible weapons programs and the existence of actual weapons.

The complete study, directed by Susan Moeller and titled "Media Coverage of Weapons of Mass Destruction (.pdf)," is available at the CISSM Web site.
The authors of the study state that, "Poor coverage of WMD resulted less from political bias on the part of journalists, editors, and producers than from tired journalistic conventions." They also declare that the British media "reported more critically on public policy than did their American colleagues."

In a foreword to the study, John Steinbruner, director of the center, writes: "The American political system is in the early stages of contending with an unwelcome but ultimately unavoidable problem. The United States initiated war against Iraq on the basis of an inaccurate representation of the scope and immediacy of the threat posed, and it did so without international authority. That has prejudiced the legitimacy of the occupation, thereby undermining the single most important ingredient of successful reconstruction."

He adds that "the American media did not play the role of checking and balancing the exercise of power that the standard theory of democracy requires."

Among those writers singled out for praise in the study are Barton Gellman, Walter Pincus, Michael Getler and Dana Milbank of The Washington Post, Bob Drogin of the Los Angeles Times, and David Sanger and William Broad of The New York Times. It also cites articles in E&P by William Jackson Jr. exploring Judith Miller's controversial WMD coverage in the New York Times.

Repugs who persist in the mantra that the Media is Liberal are blatant liars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:56 pm
That is but one subject...a study to determine the leanings of 'the media' would have to be slightly more in depth than that. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:02 pm
Do some more research on our own.
It's not that difficult. Type: Media Bias into your fave search engine. Do a little work. I am not going to do it for you unless you pay me to do so.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:30 pm
pistoff wrote:
Repugs who persist in the mantra that the Media is Liberal are blatant liars.

I know it's your style and all, but I just want to point one thing out here...

The big book of rules and regulations wrote:
Mannerly conduct

As per the membership agreement, it is a given that flaming, rude comments, and personal attacks are not acceptable here. Intellectually vacuous and snide slanders such as 'DemoRats' or 'REPUGlicans' (or local variants if you live elsewhere than the US) are completely unwelcome. But, actually, we ask more of you than those obvious and fundamental rules.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:37 pm
The media, by its very nature, tends to lean on the liberal side of most issues. To 'comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable' is one of the cornerstones of journalism.

Journalists are charged with thinking, probing, questioning. This puts them at odds with conservatism, because conservativism, frankly, is based more on blind faith than analysis. See Fox News for evidence of this.

Reporting constantly that Bush was wrong about WMD's and wrong about terrorist connections is not a liberal bias. It is a simple fact. When the facts stack up against conservative stupidity, people who report it are not liberal biased, they are merely being objective.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:46 pm
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:51 pm
Fedral wrote:

Again, in many cases, perhaps most cases, the objective opinion is the liberal opinion. I'll referance the imaginary WMD's and terrorist connections again. Therefore, when the media leans towards the liberal side they are not being biased, they are being objective.

Some of the people in this thread seem to think that objectivity means giving equal time to both conservative and liberal viewpoints. This is retarded.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:02 pm
IronLionZion wrote:

Again, in many cases, perhaps most cases, the objective opinion is the liberal opinion. I'll referance the imaginary WMD's and terrorist connections again. Therefore, when the media leans towards the liberal side they are not being biased, they are being objective.

I think it is the height of arrogance to believe that one political leaning is more or less 'objective' than another. What may seem reasonable to you may seem totally unreasonable to me. It a matter of opinion.

IronLionZion wrote:

Some of the people in this thread seem to think that objectivity means giving equal time to both conservative and liberal viewpoints. This is retarded.

ILZ, I am getting VERY tired of you throwing the word retarded around like you do. I can count at least 4 or 5 posts where you have called someone retarded and it needs to stop. Direct attacks like this are both against the Terms of Service and I think reflects someone who feels their arguments don't hold enough weight and must resort to personal attacks. I am hereby requesting that you put a stop to using this word.

Thanks for your attention.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:15 pm
Fedral wrote:

I think it is the height of arrogance to believe that one political leaning is more or less 'objective' than another. What may seem reasonable to you may seem totally unreasonable to me. It a matter of opinion.

On the contrary, it is the hieght of myopia to think that all opinions are equally objective. When the media suggested before the war that Iraq possessed no WMD's, had no terrorist connections, and was no immediate threat they were factually correct. The conservatives who claimed otherwise were factually inorrect. The conservative opinion in this case was false and the media reported it accurately. Conservatives called it liberal bias, people with functioning nervous systems called it objectivity.

A lot of people thinking something is true has nothing to do with whether or not it is actually true. Just because there is a large conservative establishment in this country doesn't mean the news media should pay attention to them when they contradict the facts. I think objective reporting is often misconstrued as liberal bias by right-wingers who refuse to acknowledge thier opinions are factually wrong.

Questions like the morality of abortion, on the other hand, are subjective. I do not think there is a liberal bias in such issues.

IronLionZion wrote:
ILZ, I am getting VERY tired of you throwing the word retarded around like you do. I can count at least 4 or 5 posts where you have called someone retarded and it needs to stop. Direct attacks like this are both against the Terms of Service and I think reflects someone who feels their arguments don't hold enough weight and must resort to personal attacks. I am hereby requesting that you put a stop to using this word.

Thanks for your attention.

Condescension is the garnish to the points I make. The jabs I tack on to my posts once its become clear you are not paying attention are not curve balls, and if they are, you can easily get around them to the substance of my post, like I try to do with the sugary confections you offer forth.

I like the word retard and will continue making *liberal* use of it. I trust the mods can distinguish between tastefull jabs and outright insults. If they cannot, and I am banned, so be it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:34 pm
I have learned to simply ignore most of ILZ's posts as for the most part they are retarded, condescending and ignorant. <shrug>
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:35 pm
I was tempted...
I was tempted to use the word Rethugs but I refrained. Smile
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:42 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I have learned to simply ignore most of ILZ's posts as for the most part they are retarded, condescending and ignorant. <shrug>

McGentrix, your modus operandi is to make claims without supporting them. The fact that your opinions constantly parallel whatever the establishment may be only compounds this. In past threads, you have demonstrated an inability to think critically, instead, you prefer to accept and defend the status quo. Calling me ignorant is the hieght of irony.

If, one day, you or Fedral manage to weave cohesive argument out of a ball of twine and a half-read article of the New Republic, I'll take you seriously. Till then, you're a passing amusement at best.

It is hard to limit myself to rational discourse when talking to someone who thinks that all opinions are equally tenable. I just don't know what to say to that....
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:

You make statements like that, yet you give ME crap when I give you a little well deserved ribbing? Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:20 pm
A little good natured ribbing is cool. Nasty barbs and ad hominems such as those being tossed around by ILZ are not.
If you can't get along within the rules, get elsewhere.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:39 pm
Please Timber; do look past Pistoff's wordmangling. Schwartzengroper had me rolling on the floor. Laughing It's part of his charm.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:41 pm
You betcha they are. That's why they insist it is liberal, to throw the scent off...freedom = slavery to these guys.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:50 pm
Of COURSE there is a liberal bias afoot.

So, are we supposed to believe now that there is no CONSERVATIVE bias afoot anywhere in America? If the Owner of the GE, who owns NBC, donotes most often and most heavily to republicans, then NBC is totally free to go whacked-out liberal on the Owner, with his own conservative bias?

Media is a single word for a great many things, for one thing, and if you compare radio news to newspaper news, you will find a tremendous difference BECAUSE BIAS ISN'T JUST LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE. Bias is anything it wants to be.

The truth of the matter is that the media is as in as much of a schism as the people themselves are. Every "liberal" program on netword TV has a conservative morality lesson included it in somewhere. Conservatives favor the older media of radio and free TV, while liberals flock to newspapers and cable. Magazines are probably split down the middle.

It's getting really lame to see adult Americans screaming that half of something is the whole problem. It's ridiculously childish. How can half a problem be the whole problem? Talk about gross generalizations. And the insistance about being correct is downright obscene. How could any one person understand every last thing that is going on in the collosus we call the media?

Sure the media is liberal AND conservative. Big freaking surprise, huh? Once again, my byline below this says it all. I have a BA in print journalism with a minor in America history. I might know a thing or two here since I slaved to get the degree in it.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:52 pm
Those in opposition here are both right. Bias loves idiots.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:53 pm
Huh....
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:58 pm
"Some of the people in this thread seem to think that objectivity means giving equal time to both conservative and liberal viewpoints. This is retarded."

This is an important point too. Objectivity means sticking to the facts without including one's personal position in the matter. No commentary in other words.

Here's another important point. Objectivity is a myth. We were wired with basic instincts and reactions so that we would survive life on Earth, and no matter how great our civilization is, we still have that wiring...and it is called BIAS. We cannot escape it. It colors every sentence we type by the very words we choose to describe the situation. Whether or not we like or dislike it creeps into the logic. The way we report it can pitch it into the light or the shadows. Objectivity does not sell newspapers either. It used to, but by the mid-90s, all pretense at objectivity was abandoned, much to my dismay, because I didn't sweat through college to become a yellow or sensationalized journalist. I wanted to report the facts and the truth, not the slant and the spin.
0 Replies