what is another word that can replace "now" in the beginning of a sentence

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 08:27 pm
i have been sitting here for awhile and im getting pretty frustrated as to how i could reword the beginning of this sentence. im currently working on a presentation more so leaning towards a lecture for my adolescent psychology class the project is on controversial media that i need to explain and lecture in great detail on all topics and the current point im on is adolescents and their aggression correlating to violent tv and other medias below is kind of starting to explain what the overall objective and purpose of conducting the studies and the names of both studies i use this as context to help you help me

Primarily the overall objective of the studies conducted were used to try and solve the question which is again; does watching violence on tv cause adolescents to become more aggressive or are adolescents who are more aggressive simply more likely to enjoy violence on tv? A large portion of the studies that were conducted were both correlation and field studies.

now for the part im stuck on i want to explain the nature of both studies used and describe them briefly but below are the only ones i could come up with.

now to elaborate briefly on how both studies were conducted and the differences as stated in the text book
Now to briefly explain the nature of both studies and their main purposes as stated in the text book

what i ultimately want is a way to start the sentence without using the word now and have it flow nicely with the sentence A large portion of the studies that were conducted were both correlation and field studies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,661 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 08:52 pm
@dollxface,

dollxface wrote:

The part im stuck on is wanting to explain the nature of both studies used and describe them briefly but below are the only ones i could come up with.

I will elaborate briefly on how both studies were conducted and the differences as stated in the text book

I am also going to briefly explain the nature of both studies and their main purposes as stated in the text book

what i ultimately want is a way to start the sentence without using the word now and have it flow nicely with the sentence A large portion of the studies that were conducted were both correlation and field studies.

Those are possibilities, and I'm sure you can find others. I'm also sure you will get much better suggestions.It's good you have caught this habit of using the same beginning.
DaftDuck

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 09:21 pm
@roger,
It's difficult to elaborate briefly; perhaps the following could be a consideration:

I will briefly describe the methodology and differences of each study..."
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 09:38 pm
@dollxface,
Now is a bit strong. How 'bout.
The purpose of the study was to solve a perennial question. Does watching violence on tv cause adolescents to become more aggressive or are adolescents who are more aggressive simply more likely to enjoy violence on tv?
The methods used were both correlation and field studies..

Forget one big sentence, I'm assuming the subject deserves better.
Start with an explanation of what is in the text book. Don't make people guess. In other words, a lecture should be more of a story than instruction. Being succinct is more important than being brief.
Then perhaps you could say..
To elaborate, during the field studies we observed...
Correlation, on the other hand, is .. brief explanation... and we found this...
In conclusion, between the text book expectations and our experiments (lack of a better word) our findings were.. are..

I have no idea if this is a group project or not, if not, change all the plurals to singular.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 09:46 pm
@dollxface,
Eliminate the use of "now" entirely. It isn't needed and any replacements just turn your sentence into a passive voice - very boring.

People don't need you to say "now." If you are currently doing it, you are doing it "now."

now to elaborate briefly on how <===oxymoron and redundant. You can't elaborate and be brief at the same time. You don't need to tell them whether you will elaborate or be brief. Just do it and the evidence will be there in front of them.

Revised:

Quote:
A large portion of the studies conducted were correlation and field studies. This is how each study was conducted, their differences, as well as their main purposes as stated in the textbook.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 10:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
It isn't needed and any replacements just turn your sentence into a passive voice - very boring.

How can the use of synonyms for 'now', which is an adverb, change the sentence into a passive construction, BFN?
0 Replies