BUMP, BUMP. What's Up With All The Stuck Threads?

firefly

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:14 pm
Why do so many threads now require "bumping" to get them to start a new page, or for posts to be made visible?

The problem seems to be worse than usual.

What's going on?

Have you been doing the bump and grind to get threads to move?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:17 pm
@firefly,
I've noticed that some threads now need more than one bump to make the next page viewable. rjb's football pick thread is an example. it's gone from needing one bump to two or three - if you're zippy you can go back and edit your 'bumps' into something more interesting/relevant.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:22 pm
@firefly,
I've been trying to figure out the variable, whether it's predictable or not.

My working theory is that 75 is the unmagic number (it stalls going from 74 to 75) but I don't have enough data yet.

What have you guys noticed about which threads have this problem?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:33 pm
@sozobe,
I first saw it in the Beautiful animals thread, and took it to be from the heavy photo load that thread has. But then someone (forget who) said it was happening in some of the word threads too, so now I'm not thinking it's due to photo loads.
And now it happens in JohnBoy's football pickum thread.

Those are the ones I've noticed - I'm not tech smart enough to guess the whys and wherefores.
Mame

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:39 pm
@ossobuco,
No, it doesn't have anything to do with photo loads - it happens on the Insult thread where there are no photos, and it happens at the end of the last page on many threads. It's freaking annoying.
0 Replies

RST

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:52 pm
@firefly,
Isn't bump an inaccurate term, seeing that the intention is to get the page to turn;

I'd guess coding error somewhere. Debugging, if it's bad coding.
That's for the forum-manager to determine...

(I did notice this with the insult thread as Mame pointed out)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:55 pm
By the way, as long as I've been noticing it the pattern has been that the third post on the new page is the one that works. (First post doesn't appear, second post doesn't appear, third post is the one that puts it over the top, and then you can see the previous two posts too.)

Has that been extended, now? (Four posts, or whatever?)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 12:58 pm
@sozobe,
The triple bump is new. A number of the longer threads with word/word games tags have needed a single bump to see the next page for some time.
jespah

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:05 pm
@ehBeth,
I just want you all to know that the first item you get if you Google triple bump is NSFW.

That is all.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:09 pm
@jespah,
Laughing...

On the triple bump, that happened to me when posting on the B. Animals thread some time ago. I'd have to go back and chase when, but it feels like perhaps three months. (Maybe I started it all..)
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, seems like it's been that way on Beautiful Animals for a while. Three months sounds rightish. I don't really do the word game threads, B.A. and the Romney thread were the main places I noticed it, then just B.A. once the Romney thread died. Another one too, where I noticed that it started acting up on the way from page 74 to page 75, but can't remember now which one that was.
JPB

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:26 pm
@sozobe,
I noticed pg 74 to 75 (or 75 -76) on rjb's football thread. I don't know if that's the same one you noticed.
sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:29 pm
@JPB,
Yep, I think it was.

http://able2know.org/topic/196756-75
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:29 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
What have you guys noticed about which threads have this problem?

I think it is started by a bug related to post removal (deletion or moderation).
firefly

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:50 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
By the way, as long as I've been noticing it the pattern has been that the third post on the new page is the one that works...

Some threads, like The Neverending "CONNECT THE PICTURE" game, and the Caption The Cartoon, and The Insult Game, require only one bump to get them moving again to a new page, but the Beautiful Animals thread seems particularly stubborn and requires several nudges.

So the pattern seems to vary from thread to thread.

The problem with the The Neverending "CONNECT THE PICTURE" game seems to have started very recently--like in the last week or two.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 02:26 pm
soz, Your page 74, 75 theory doesn't apply to the Beautiful Animals thread. We're on page 720, The max so far is three bumps.

Seems like a waste of cyber space to me. Three bumps instead of three animal pics.

I HATE dem bumps.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 03:04 pm
@Roberta,
If you're really really fast you can go back and edit bumps 1, 2 and 3 into something more interesting than "bump"

I guess if you're at the end of a page in BA you should be ready with 2 or 3 pix instead of 1 Very Happy nothing wrong with more BA's eh
Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 03:09 pm
@ehBeth,
fwiw...

I think it has to do with spam pulling.

the threads that are off all have one thing in common.

instead of rolling over at every 20 pages, the count is off.

until the post that is a multiple of 20 occurs, the posts that are already on the new page are not visible...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 03:09 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Three bumps instead of three animal pics
why write a boring "bump" when you can post a byootiful animal pic?
it may not show right away, but eventually it'll be there for all to see...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 03:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Bethie, If I copied a picture to post, I don't got another picture. I can copy only one at a time. I'd have to store them somewhere. Seems like a helluva lot of trouble to turn a page.

I'm not always the one who gets to the end of the page. I may just be reading and see that the turn didn't happen.

Let's face it. It's a pain in the patoot, but not serious.
0 Replies