Allegations of sexual relationship with minor(s) by Elmo Pupeteer, Kevin Clash, to be true?

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:38 am
@sozobe,
The opposite of what? You're not making any sense. He's saying that because this minor child (a minor child in the U.S.) was 16, he's over the age of consent. That may be true in Little England, but it's not true in the United States, where the age of consent is 18.

I haven't judged him, myself--i said i'd have zero sympathy if a court convicted him for a sexual relationship with a 16 year-old.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:48 am
@Setanta,
You know all about being tedious, not everywhere is like America, and if you look at Wikipedia it states the age of consent varies from 16-18 depending on the state. I'm not going to get into a long debate with you because you're so very dull. If the age of consent where he supposedly comitted this act is 18, then he has broken the law. However, this only holds water if it's the same age for heterosexual couples, if it's different, as used to be the case over here, it's another example of homophobic legislation.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:51 am
@izzythepush,
Who gives a rat's ass about over there. Just more irrelevant twaddle from you, as usual. It doesn't matter what goes on over there, the offense took place here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You know all about being tedious, not everywhere is like America, and if you look at Wikipedia it states the age of consent varies from 16-18 depending on the state.

Don't worry about anyone else being tedious.

You've got the time to check Wikipedia to check on ages of consent, but didn't read the articles about the accusations?

If you'd looked at the articles referenced, you'd have noted that one of the accusers was 15 at the time the assault are alleged to have taken place. So, 16/18 - meaningless.

The whole silliness of what the age of consent is in England is irrelevant to this set of accusations.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:02 am
@ehBeth,
Your impartial, dispassionate comments are always greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:09 am
The lawsuit was filed in Florida. The age of consent in Florida is 18. The offense was alleged to have taken place in New York, where the age of consent is 17. The Federal age of consent is 18--if he colluded in the transportation of a minor across state lines for the purpose of committing a sexual offense, they can nail him for that, too.

However, this is currently a civil case.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:24 am
@Setanta,
I don't really want to get into another slagging match with you, but I think the context is very important here. They met in a gay chatroom, does that mean Clash knowingly had consensual sex with a minor? I think that the doubt surrounding this case means he should be given an amout of leeway. I've met 15 year olds who could pass for 25. How do we know Clash wasn't lied to? He may well have thought the lad in question was a consenting adult.

I do think that what has brought this into focus is the fact that it's gay sex, and had he had consensual sex with an underage girl there wouldn't be such an outcry.

Having said that, if someone is abusing a position of power, such as a teacher, police officer, priest etc to coerce a minor to engage in underage sex they should feel the full force of the law.

I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore because you're incapable of debate without resorting to personal insults, your 'little England,' comment shows you for the bigot you really are.
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:27 am
@Setanta,
OK. I was going by the fact that the initial allegation against Kevin Clash was withdrawn, and the accuser said actually, he was of legal age at the time. (Over the age of consent.) (The age of consent here, in America.)

If izzy is saying that the age of consent should be 16, that's something else. (I didn't see that he was saying that, but the whole thing is confusing so I won't make any definitive statements.)
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:37 am
@sozobe,
That's cool. As Beth points out, one accuser alleges to have been diddled when he was 15. The lawsuit is filed in Florida, age of consent 18, and alleges the violation took place in New York, age of consent 17. If he colluded in transporting a minor across state lines, that would be an offense also, and the Feds age of consent is 18.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I do think that what has brought this into focus is the fact that it's gay sex, and had he had consensual sex with an underage girl there wouldn't be such an outcry.
l think if the allegations involved sex with an underage girl there would still be a scandal because Clash works around children and any suggestion of pedophilia would cause shock waves. There can be no legal "consensual sex" with someone below the age of legal consent.

The fact that Clash is gay unfortunately revives the old stereotype that gays are sexual predators who go after underage males, and that makes these allegations damaging, not just to Clash, but to gay men in general, because it revives the old fears about letting them work near children.

I'd be more inclined to take these allegations seriously if the accusers weren't actively seeking wide-spread publicity and a great deal of money. One of them has allegedly been writing a book about his relationship with Clash since 2009, so why has he suddenly come forward now? To help find a publisher? To gain money from giving interviews? And the other one is seeking $5 million in damages from Clash, and both are represented by the same attorney. It's difficult to separate the monetary factor from the allegations since they appear to go hand in hand.

All these are at the moment are allegations, without any accompanying criminal complaint. They may, or may not, be followed by civil trials to allow a jury to evaluate whatever evidence might exist, and then pass judgment on the matter of whether sexual abuse of a minor actually took place, and whether monetary damage awards are justified.

But we certainly are in no position to determine the truth of these allegations right now--we lack any evidence one way or the other.
Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:52 pm
@firefly,
Firefly wrote:
I'd be more inclined to take these allegations seriously if the accusers weren't actively seeking wide-spread publicity and a great deal of money. One of them has allegedly been writing a book about his relationship with Clash since 2009, so why has he suddenly come forward now? To help find a publisher? To gain money from giving interviews? And the other one is seeking $5 million in damages from Clash, and both are represented by the same attorney. It's difficult to separate the monetary factor from the allegations since they appear to go hand in hand.

I had thought that money was the motivation since reading the first articles, especially as this is a civil case, and not a criminal case. The information about the attorney just clinches it for me. He may be guilty of something, but i'd say this is a cash grab, whether he is or isn't.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 01:59 pm
Another allegation against Clash...
Quote:
Elmo Sex Scandal: Kevin Clash Accused Of Underage Sex By 4th Alleged Victim
The Huffington Post | By Andy Campbell
12/10/2012

A fourth man has come forward with claims that he had a sexual relationship with Elmo's puppeteer when the accuser was 16.

The newest allegations heat up the firestorm that's engulfed Kevin Clash, formerly an integral member of "Sesame Street." Clash resigned as Elmo's voice and puppeteer in November when several men filed lawsuits claiming that they had sex with him while they were underage teens.

NBC News uncovered the latest lawsuit that was filed on Monday by a man identified as John Doe. The suit claims that Clash was in his mid-30s when in 1995 he befriended the alleged 16-year-old victim. Clash reportedly flew the teen from Miami to New York, where the two engaged in sexual activity.

Well-known sex abuse lawyer Jeff Herman represents three of the accusers, including the newest man.

"According to our lawsuit, Kevin Clash knowingly paid to transport a minor across state lines for the purpose of satisfying his sexual interests," a statement from Herman said.

Herman didn't immediately return calls for comment from The Huffington Post.

Last month, another unidentified accuser said he was 16 when he had sex with Clash in 2000. A week before, now-24-year-old Cecil Singleton filed suit, claiming that the two had inappropriate contact when Singleton was 15.

The first accuser later recanted his claims that he and Clash had sex. But he then recanted his denial, saying that Clash's attorneys pressured him into a settlement.

The allegations cost Clash his job and recently an upcoming Warner Bros. film that would've featured him.

Clash's camp has denied the allegations but Clash hasn't delved into specifics about any case.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/elmo-sex-scandal-fourth-allegation-for-kevin-clash_n_2271111.html
0 Replies