Should "need" here be "needs"?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 02:28 pm
@contrex,
Until my right to be offensive has been reaffirmed I will continue to be offensive on purpose, with purpose. Some things are more important than your comfort.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 02:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're waiting for reaffirmation for your right to be a dick from whom, exactly?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
The pc police...not being offensive must be a choice, not a mandate which is policed. Democracy does not work with out free speech, my exercise of my right to offend is infinently more important than is anyones desire for tranquility and charm.
JTT

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 07:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
The pc police would not consider for a second the impossible task of trying to change you from your abiding dicktitude.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 07:28 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Are you trying to determine an answer by counting google hits?

Was this blatant dishonesty, Roger? You even replied directly to this posting.

Quote:
error...

"need not suffer " means suffering is not required

"needs to not suffer" means that suffering is not wanted.

apples and oranges my friend.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 11:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
That is the sense in which He pays our debt,
and suffers for us what He Himself need not suffer
at all.'

Third person present tense verbs, with both semi-modal and lexical verbs, inflect with an 's'.

He likes/she wants/it needs/she runs/he walks/it jumps/...

When we negate the third person present verb, Ori, do we still inflect the verbs?

He doesn't needs/she doesn't likes/it doesn't rains

Excellent!

The form "He Himself need not suffer" has put a great emphasis on the non-necessity of Himself's suffering. It removes "does" from "He Himself (does) need not suffer" and makes it sound better. Am I on the right track?

McTag

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 02:19 am

Some of the answers on this thread are crap. And I've not read them all. I lost the will after the first few.
roger

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 02:32 am
@McTag,
You should have gotten here sooner.
JTT

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 12:40 pm
@roger,
It's beginning to look like it was dishonesty, Roger. Why would you do that? Hawkeye explained his reasoning and you veer off on a tangent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 11:18 pm
@roger,
Actually "need" is correct. Needs has a different meaning, and is usually used in such phrases as "needs assessment" or "needs and wants."
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 11:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
next you will be informing us that Obama won the election ...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 12:14 am
@hawkeye10,
No, I won't! You're too stupid to even suggest such a thing.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:48 am
@roger,
roger i feel your response was so tangential, so palpable , i could almost touch it, you deserve every red ribbon you don't get
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 08:23 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
The form "He Himself need not suffer" has put a great emphasis on the non-necessity of Himself's suffering. It removes "does" from "He Himself (does) need not suffer" and makes it sound better. Am I on the right track?

I don't know if it's so much a matter of emphasis as it is a matter of formality, Ori.

This is a collocation that sees more use in the written registers. In speech the most common is with 'do' inserted - He himself doesn't need to suffer
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 02:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Needs has a different meaning, and is usually used in such phrases as "needs assessment" or "needs and wants."

That 'needs', at least the one in your 2nd example, is a different part of speech than the one presently under discussion, CI. In other words, it's not relevant.

Your first example could be either.

I think that this is what Hawkeye had in mind. You didn't seem to understand that either.
0 Replies