Obesity a product of a faulty system or individual poor choices

kipper

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 09:49 pm
Is obesity the result of a faulty system or bad consumer choices. When 58 percent or the american population is considered overweight or obese I am wondering if blame should be put instead of the current food production system. Obesity is more prevalent in low income households it would appear that the cheapest foods are corn based product which are naturally high in carbohydrates. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,962 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:52 pm
@kipper,
In North America at least, people drive everywhere..even when they don't need to. There's far too much TV, computer using, and playing of video games. Not nearly enough exercise..and youth and adults making bad food (high fat, high-salt plus processed and/or sugar loaded) food choices.

High fructose corn syrup being found in so many food products is not helping matters, but personally I don't think it's as big of a problem is it has been made out to be. It should be curtailed from so many products but for that matter ...so should sugar in everything and use of transfats.
Enzo

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:01 pm
@Ragman,
One can add to the list the growth hormones which has revolutionized the meat industry.
And in the agriculture sector, corporate agricultural big shots are quite happy poisoning their customers in the quest to make more money.

Conclusion: Mostly poor individual choices, reinforced by a faulty system.
aspvenom

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 11:51 pm
@Enzo,
This makes me want to raise my own livestock and grow my own produce.
*quietly munches on Reese's Peanut Butter Cups*
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:26 am
You can also, in part, blame it on a lack of healthcare. A lot of folks eat as a means of medicating what is likely clinical depression. 'Cause Cheetos are cheaper than a visit to a shrink, particularly if you're poor, out of work, etc.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:41 am
Obesity a product of a faulty system or individual poor choices

yes
0 Replies

ellymarie71

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 11:18 am
@kipper,
Poor Choices.
Junk Food is made. You have the choice to stuff your face, or have a yummy parfait.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 01:04 pm
There is no obesity - or food allergies - in third world countries.

The US is high in obesity for its population. We are mal-nourished, not undernourished.
Ragman

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 12:47 am
@PUNKEY,
Why do you think that? Are you being ironic about no obesity or food allergies in 3rd world?
0 Replies

amygarside

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:16 am
@kipper,
I think it will depend on the person. There are people who really love to eat junk food hence the obesity and there are also people who have really no choice due to lack of money to buy quality food. I think it is half and half.
0 Replies