No more Mr. Nice guy

Fedral

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:24 am
No more Mr. Nice guy[/u]
By:Mona Charen
March 5, 2004

No one seems to recall another example of a sitting president phoning the likely nominee of the other party to congratulate him as George Bush did after Kerry's victory on Super Tuesday. That's so like Bush -- ever the gentleman. "This is," explained Bush spokesman Terry Holt, "the beginning of the campaign season, and I think he wanted to extend his hand across the aisle."

Reportedly Bush congratulated Kerry on his win and looked forward to a "spirited campaign." Here's how Kerry reacted: He went out to address his cheering supporters and declared that he was "under no illusions about the Republican attack machine and what our opponents have done in the past, and what they may try to do in the future." He went on to condemn the president, "who promised to become a uniter" and instead has become "a great divider." He reviled the attempt, as Kerry put it, "to amend the Constitution of the United States for political purposes." And he summed up the Bush foreign policy as "the most inept, reckless, arrogant and ideological" in history.

Might it be time for President Bush to re-evaluate his Mr. Nice Guy strategy?

He came into office promising to bring a "new tone" to Washington. And he meant it. He showed up at the House Democrats' annual retreat. He invited the entire Kennedy clan to the White House for a special showing of the film "13 Days," a movie about the Cuban Missile Crisis that featured glowing depictions of President Kennedy and his attorney general brother, Bobby. In his first State of the Union address, Bush went out of his way to praise the ailing liberal Democrat Joe Moakley, D-Mass. He later attended Moakley's funeral.

Arguably, Bush's pursuit of good fellowship extended to policy, as well. To get the cooperation of Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., and Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., he agreed to massive new spending. Worse, the president compromised the all-important choice provisions of the No Child Left Behind law. He then toured the country with Kennedy and Miller, joking about how the folks down in Crawford were a bit suspicious of the guy from Massachusetts.

Too bad the president didn't take advice from the Crawford boys.

The Bush family can't seem to see straight about the Kennedys. Even after the bilious senator had lambasted President Bush for supposedly cooking up the entire Iraq War as a political stunt and alleged that he had told "lie after lie after lie after lie," the elder George Bush gave Kennedy a public service award!

And on it goes. When the Democrats in the Senate filibustered President Bush's judicial nominees, the most he could bring himself to say was that the "Senate" was blocking action. Not the Democrats, mind you.

Frankly, it is difficult to think of a single instance during his time in office that George W. Bush has said anything stinging or even partisan about the party that has demonized him without pause for three and half years. He has never used expressions like "the Democrat attack machine," nor impugned the motives or character of those who disagree with him. As Deroy Murdoch of Scripps Howard wrote in 2001, "If Bush turns the other cheek any more, his head will fall off."

After years of friendly overtures and bipartisanship, President Bush should accept the fact that an extended hand to the Democrats is likely to be bitten off. The "party of compassion" is shot through with virulent animosity. Pollsters conducting exit polls among Democrats on Super Tuesday found widespread hatred for the president. A Georgia illustrator told The New York Times, "I'm not passionate about Kerry, but I think Bush is a positive evil."

This is mystifying. Bush's principle domestic agenda, prior to Sept.11, was the faith-based initiative to help the least fortunate. He hired a Democrat, John J. DiIulio, to oversee the program. However much they may have disagreed with the means Bush chose, Democrats might at least have acknowledged the president's goodwill and bona fides. They never did.

So as the 2004 campaign gears up, President Bush can drop the Mr. Nice Guy approach. They're going to hate him anyway, so he might as well fight like a cougar.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 871 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
This is meant as satire, yes?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:51 am
D'artagnan wrote:
This is meant as satire, yes?

Well, its not meant as satire by the person who wrote it. But for an example on reverse thinking, read any of pistoff's, BBB's or au1929's articles and realize that most conservatives look upon those postings the same way you look at this one.

If you find yourself in agreement or able to take seriously any of the posted pistoff,BBB's or au articles, realize that there is a pool of right wingers who take these articles just as seriously.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:03 pm
Fedral: No need for anyone's undies to get in a serious bunch, here. Liberals post liberal rants, conservatives post conservative rants. I've had occasion to criticize the over-the-top left-wing screeds posted by pistoff and others (examples here and here). And there were times when I've felt compelled to point out the errors in over-the-top right-wing screeds (too numerous to mention). Both sides will continue to mock the other, engage in tendentious, ad hominem attacks, and resort to all manner of partisan raillery. It's all good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:05 pm
As Mr. Mencken observed, no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:13 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Fedral: No need for anyone's undies to get in a serious bunch, here. Liberals post liberal rants, conservatives post conservative rants. I've had occasion to criticize the over-the-top left-wing screeds posted by pistoff and others (examples here and here). And there were times when I've felt compelled to point out the errors in over-the-top right-wing screeds (too numerous to mention). Both sides will continue to mock the other, engage in tendentious, ad hominem attacks, and resort to all manner of partisan raillery. It's all good.

The important part for myself, in my opinion, is being a well enough read Conservative to recognize when members of your own party have gone 'over the top' and being able to laugh about it.

The problem is, when those who print such things from EITHER side, don't recognize it in their own postings (Yes I do mean you pist, au. bbb Very Happy )

To quote George C. Scott from the movie Patton:

Hell, I know I'm a prima donna, I admit it. The thing that pisses me off about Monty is he WON'T admit it.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
LOL
The tune "Backstabbers" springs to mind. Smilin' in your face, etc. Yeah, Shrub is a nice guy. Tell that to the 10,000 Iraqi famalies of those he killed and maimed, the Afghans and the American families, as well. I am real sure that they think he is a nice guy. Tell it to the families who don't have Health Care &/or jobs.

Yeah, Shrub is a smilin' scorpion.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:09 pm
Someone is trying to spin Bush's pledge of honor and integrity in advance of the serious lack of it coming our way in the form of campaign ads attacking Kerry viciously while exploiting the WTC deaths while praising himself to boot.

It isn't going to work. Attacking Kerry will demonstrate nicely that Bush has no honor or integrity. Just like the very first ads he put out showed how bloodthirsty he is to praise himself with a view of a graveyard in the background, however brief.

Bush is his own worst enemy BECAUSE he has no honor or integrity.

From what I've seen of Fedral's choice of reading materials, he isn't well read or educated in conservative ideology. He is just another political hack forcing the works of other political hacks upon us.

I'm guessing this is an ongoing occupation for him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:38 pm
As another conservative here, I find your repeated linking of Fedral to all things conservative sort of disheartening. I would like to think that MY attacks on Kerry could at least draw SOME ire from you...
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:14 pm
McG
Your attacks on Kerry don't bother me in the least. I am not that keen on his program. Your loyalty to Shrub is baffeling because I deem you as half way intelligent.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
Fedral wrote:
Well, its not meant as satire by the person who wrote it. But for an example on reverse thinking, read any of pistoff's, BBB's or au1929's articles and realize that most conservatives look upon those postings the same way you look at this one.

If you find yourself in agreement or able to take seriously any of the posted pistoff,BBB's or au articles, realize that there is a pool of right wingers who take these articles just as seriously.

One name seems out of place there ... au1929 is most definitely not on "our side" - a leftwinger he aint!

Not everyone who hates Bush is a liberal ...
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:12 pm
Shrub
Shrub, the shallow, smirking weasle is a role model for President of the United States?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies