what does "fluids" mean in the following setence?

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 08:20 am
A patient was very ill and couldn't swallow anything, so the doctor said, "We gave him fluids for the first two weeks and then fed him through a tube which passed through his nose into his stomch." Some say "give fluids" mean to give him intravenous injection. Is this right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 680 • Replies: 3
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 11:28 am
@Emily BAI,
Emily BAI wrote:

A patient was very ill and couldn't swallow anything, so the doctor said, "We gave him fluids for the first two weeks and then fed him through a tube which passed through his nose into his stomch." Some say "give fluids" mean to give him intravenous injection. Is this right?

Well, to be more sepecific, intravenous injection usually implies a quick administration of a substance intravenously with a hypodermic needle and syringe. Intravenous administration, or IV usually involves a hypodermic needle being inserted into and kept in a vein for a much longer period of time.

The sentence refers to IV administration or IV therapy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 11:32 am
@Emily BAI,
Yes, that is what it means. As Infrablue points out, it means putting a needle in (usually in the forearm) and leaving it there. The most common way to keep up a patient's fluids is with D5W--dextrose 5% and water.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:20 pm
@Emily BAI,
However, in addition to I-V injection, there can also be an NG (naso-gastric) feeding tube that administers liquid nutrition and meds (gravity fed), as well. It might depend on the quantity of liquids or meds being fed. As I understand this, N-G tube is used for continuous feeding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasogastric_intubation

However, judging from the context, it may mean they started treatment with an I-V injection and then switched over to an N-G tube after 2 weeks.
0 Replies