Why are the republicans picking on Susan Rice?

revelette

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:41 am
Quote:
STATEMENT BY SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON DNI AND BENGHAZI

November 20, 2012

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) today released the following statement on reports that the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) was responsible for removing references to Al-Qaeda from the unclassified talking points about the Benghazi attack that Ambassador Susan Rice and other officials used in the early days after September 11, 2012:

“I am somewhat surprised and frustrated to read reports that the Office of the Director of National Intelligence was responsible for removing references to Al-Qaeda from the unclassified talking points about the Benghazi attack that Ambassador Susan Rice and other officials used in the early days after September 11, 2012. I participated in hours of hearings in the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence last week regarding the events in Benghazi, where senior intelligence officials were asked this very question, and all of them – including the Director of National Intelligence himself – told us that they did not know who made the changes. Now we have to read the answers to our questions in the media. There are many other questions that remain unanswered. But this latest episode is another reason why many of us are so frustrated with, and suspicious of, the actions of this Administration when it comes to the Benghazi attack.”

source

I personally think McCain should take the advice given to Romney from Graham, "when you are in a hole, stop digging."

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:29 pm
@revelette,
McCain has already buried himself with this foolishness. The coffin already had the last nail pounded in it when it became public from the intelligence agencies that Susan Rice only shared what was approved by them.

The reason the intelligence agencies are not sharing more is based on "security."

McCain should know better, but he's now suffering from buyers remorse, and doesn't want to admit he's been wrong all along.
JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:32 pm
What's the deal with Kelly Ayotte? She's out there with McCain and Graham again releasing a statement on the ME.

"Sens. McCain/Graham/Ayotte on Mideast: The actions or inaction of the US will be critical to determining what path this vital region takes."

I can think of a whole bunch of other folks for a first term Senator to get palsy with. Is she a hater? Anyone know anything about her?
JPB

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 12:52 pm
@JPB,
Just checked her out on wiki. Her background and positions are Very conservative. Yep, I think she's a hater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Ayotte
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 01:28 pm
@JPB,
You know their brain isn't created right when they fight to overturn Planned Parenthood that helps women.

Only 3% of their funding comes from the government, but she wants to destroy this organization through the government.

She and others like her are dangerous to everybody.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:16 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
are Very conservative. Yep, I think she's a hater.

The money is there when you pal around with conservatives, JPB. And you have a greater opportunity to try out kinky sex, which is anything but the missionary position.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:17 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
She is fluent in French

That puts the kaibosh on her political career.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:57 pm
It's interesting to see how these nut cases seem to gravitate towards conservatism.

They already have Boehner who's demanding the overthrow of ObamaCare before he'll "consider" negotiation. Their gamesmanship only makes them look more stupid than they are.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 12:18 am
@ehBeth,
She is a member of the Obama Inner Circle, Valerie Jarret presiding.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 12:38 am
I'm sure Obama had Rice in mind for Secretary of State before the Benghazi Boogaloo ever began and I wouldn't be surprised if he still nominates her.

First of all it would be entirely in keeping with his arrogant and beligerant nature, and secondly to back down in the face of blatant challenges to his power is never a good move for a politician.

My bet though is that he will nominate someone like John Kerry, and quite likely Kerry himself.

A Rice nomination will be filibustered. She has no political allies outside of the Obama administration (quite the opposite from all accounts) and she is the poster child for the Benghazi Coverup campaign.

Even Republican Senators will have a very hard time fighting the nomination of one of their own for the position.

If Obama picks a high profile Senator, like Kerry, he can make the argument that he never really saw Rice in the spot and his nomination will sail through the Senate.

Personally I hope he nominates Rice, but it would be the politically foolish step to take.

Even Obama can't believe that Rice is the only person in America who can carry out the duties of the position. In the end, he is the author of American foreign policy for the next four years and not the Secretary of State. If he was OK with naming his chief rival to the position he should have no trouble naming someone who at least appears to have been one of his supporters.

In any case, the arguments being made by some Democrats that the grief being directed at Susan Rice by Republicans is born of racism and/or sexism are utterly ridiculous and proof positive that such allegations have become a mainstay tactic of the Left.

If Rice was a white male who went on five Sunday news shows to parrot a clearly bogus tale, he would be suffering the same slings and arrows.

At worst, this is partisan politics and not racism or sexism.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 12:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, Where have you been? The GOP has been challenging Obama at every front. Boehner is now saying they're not going to negotiate unless Obama is willing to renege on ObamaCare.

Now, that's really, really, really, stupid!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 01:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
Of course they are challenging Obama. That's what the opposition does.

It did it when Bush Sr and Bush Jr were president and when Reagan and Nixon were.

It will do it when the next Republican is elected to the office and you will applaud.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, You're again missing the obvious. This GOP congress has the most filibuster in history, and you really believe "that's normal" party politics?

No wonder your credibility is in the **** hole!

Quote:
SUN SEP 16, 2012 AT 09:55 AM PDT
Why is the Republican Record-Breaking use of the Filibuster -- Not a topic of the News?
byjamessFollow
PERMALINK 132 COMMENTS / 132 NEW

It bothers me when I see editorials like this -- that blame "both sides" of Congress equally.

For their ritual inaction. For not doing their jobs. For hurting average Americans.

Do-nothing Congress doing what it does best

Editorial, democratandchronicle.com -- Sep 15, 2012

No budget. No Farm Bill. No spending appropriations. In short, no progress. That is the record of the current 112th Congress, a body that has bickered much, accomplished little, and continues to ignore its responsibilities to the American people.
Lawmakers will do this week what they do best: Kick another can down the road. The Senate is expected to follow the House in approving a stop-gap spending measure to keep the government running for another six months. That conveniently absolves them from any difficult pre-election budgeting decisions.

It is the latest dereliction of duty from a gridlocked group that, once again, has put its own political considerations ahead of the public good. On issues great and small these past two years, Congress has either fallen down on the job or ignored the job altogether.
[...]

Congress is supposed to be a place of compromise -- a grand meeting of the minds.
Only one BIG problem with that American ideal, however -- The Republicans have just said NO to it.

As shown by the 112 Republican filibusters in 2007 and 2008 -- which was a record breaking number then. Not that it made the National News.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 09:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Finn, Where have you been? The GOP has been challenging Obama at every front. Boehner is now saying they're not going to negotiate unless Obama is willing to renege on ObamaCare.

Now, that's really, really, really, stupid!

yep
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 09:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
Right Wing Invents New Bengahzi Conspiracy Theory: Top U.S. Intel Official Is A Liar

Quote:
DNI spokesperson debunked accusations made by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and other Republicans that the White House changed Rice’s Benghazi talking points, saying that it was the intelligence community that made the “substantive” changes to the talking points. Moreover, former CIA head David Petraeus and other top intelligence officials have said there was no politicization of the process and that the talking points were not altered to minimize the role of extremists but to reflect the best intelligence at the time.

McCain appeared to accept the new information but wondered why Clapper and other DNI officials did not provide this information during closed door hearings last week. And now that all their earlier attacks on Rice have fell apart, Republicans and conservative media figures are directing their attacks at Clapper, a George W. Bush appointee:

– BILL O’REILLY: Now it’s James Clapper, President Obama’s national security guy who is saying, “Oh, it’s me. I sent Rice out there and I took out all the al Qaeda stuff.” I’m not buying it. None of this adds up. … All right so there’s a lot of lying going on here.

– CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: I’m not buying it because the Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee said that a week ago in classified testimony that same Clapper said that they had no idea who changed the talking points and now a week later he seems to say he did? That’s kind of strange. I mean I’ve seen amnesia in my day in my clinical days and that one is pretty quick, one week.

– TUCKER CARLSON: I hate to think that the director of National Intelligence lied, is a liar. But I’m not sure I see an alternate explanation. Apparently, he’s contradicting what he testified to just last week. Is there another explanation for this?”

– FOX NEWS’ STEVE DOOCY: They did say it is out of the [DNI] office. It’s not him per se, so we’re supposed to believe that a Clapper aide changed what Petraeus had said? That’s very, very curious.

– REP. TREY GOWDY (R-SC): This is the head of our national intelligence and he changed his mind within the course of 24 hours. So how are you possibly going to have any confidence in what he says?

And while Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-GA) didn’t call Clapper a liar, he told Fox News’ Stuart Varney that he now might be involved in the alleged cover up:

GINGREY: Now have you got someone who basically can trump the CIA, especially if the president says to him — I am not suggesting that he did, but he could have — look, James, we need to kind of clean this up a little bit.. We are doing really well. We’re right about time for the election and we are doing very well on national security and this could blow our cover.

0 Replies