Why are the republicans picking on Susan Rice?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 12:25 pm
@djjd62,
Never heard of it, is it American?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 12:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not just Republicans:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/opinion/sunday/dowd-is-rice-cooked.html?ref=maureendowd&_r=0

When you lose Maureen Dowd...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 12:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
She's wrong; what Susan Rice did was the right choice; to only talk about what the intelligence agencies gave her permission to say. Hind sight is always 20/20, but that's what Dowd is doing "after the facts."

If Dowd was in Rice's position, would she have blabbered about what she really knew, or followed the instructions given by the intelligence agencies?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:35 pm
House Republicans weigh in even though they have no vote in the confirmation.

Quote:
Nearly 100 House Republicans on Monday called on President Obama not to nominate Susan Rice as Secretary of State.

In a letter to Obama, the Republicans said the credibility of the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations has been gravely wounded by her account of the September 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

"Though Ambassador Rice has been our Representative to the U.N., we believe her misleading statements over the days and weeks following the attack on our embassy in Libya that led to the deaths of Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans caused irreparable damage to her credibility both at home and around the world," Republicans wrote in their letter, which was led by Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) and sent to Obama Monday. More
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:40 pm
@JPB,
Sigh.
I might like her!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:41 pm
@JPB,
They move in lock-step on most issues even when they are wrong; a good way to destroy their own party - me thinks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:48 pm
It sounds like she's been pretty loose with the gasoline as she burns bridges. Some of this may be payback for past deeds and comments. From the article I linked earlier

Quote:
Particularly in comparison to the other person often mentioned for the job, Sen. John Kerry, she can be a most undiplomatic diplomat, and there likely aren’t enough Republican or Democratic votes in the Senate to confirm her.

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:52 pm
Have there been other instances when Congress sent a preemptive strike across the bough BEFORE a nomination is made?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:02 pm
@JPB,
The one instance could have been meant as a semi-joke between colleagues - I somehow doubt humor is always absent in meetings. On the other hand, if it's a pattern, that behavior will make a difference for at least some. I've a personal bias towards people who speak their minds, which of course is the apparent opposite of career style in diplomacy. People who always speak in a controlled manner are, to me, controllers, with a pattern of thoughtfulness before speech followed by chosen words. People vary, and too much of one of those can make me wish for the other, and vice versa.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:03 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Have there been other instances when Congress sent a preemptive strike across the bough BEFORE a nomination is made?

Love that spelling of 'bow', JPB> Laughing
JPB

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
My fingertips and brain are seldom connected.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:07 pm
@JPB,
It's interesting to see how politicians play games that never seem to have any consistency - whether it's about treating their own party members or the other party. Can anyone keep those conflicts straight? LOL
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 04:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

JPB wrote:

Love that spelling of 'bow', JPB> Laughing

Some people go to sea in a ship and others go to sea on a tree branch.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 05:32 pm
@parados,
McCain now wants Susan Rice to apologize. What gall, what chutzpah what stupdity!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 05:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think this is sad, but maybe this will all pump up for him, sad twice.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 05:42 pm
@izzythepush,
yup, they show all the brit dramas and some of the mysteries (Christie and Holmes stuff, Mystery shows the other stuff)
JPB

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 05:56 pm
Hypocrite!

Quote:
Mad as hell: McCain flip flops from Bush to Obama
Zachary Roth
1:08 pm on 11/19/2012

The president had nominated a foreign policy adviser named Rice to serve as Secretary of State. But the opposition party was raising concerns about her role in what it saw as the administration’s deceptions over terrorism in the Middle East. And that made Sen. John McCain mad.

“I can only conclude we are doing this for no other reason than because of lingering bitterness at the outcome of the election,” he declared on the Senate floor. “We need to move on. The people of the United States made their choice last November and they expect their elected officials to govern accordingly.” McCain added: “We all have varying policy views, but the president, in my view, has a clear right to put into place the team he believes will serve him best.”

This was January 2005. The Rice in question was Condoleezza, and it was Democrats who were making a fuss, noting that she’d been a key player in the Bush administration’s use of flawed intelligence to push for war in Iraq.Poster boy for term limits
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 06:05 pm
@JPB,
Somebody needs to show McCain this record of what he said on Condi Rice about,
Quote:
but the president, in my view, has a clear right to put into place the team he believes will serve him best.

He won't recognize his own words.
parados

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 07:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I just find it a bit silly to NOW want to get to the bottom of who provided intelligence about what was happening in a country in the Mideast.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:05 pm
@parados,
But McCain wants a special committee to investigate why this administration failed to inform the public on what really happened.

There's....
0 Replies