CPU is a chip?

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:41 pm
Can we say CPU is a chip or one of the chips in computer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:45 pm
Either depending on the context of the sentence. There should be either an "a" or "the" in front of CPU.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 03:55 am
Thanks Acquiunk. Very Happy

I'd like to know how you might define the word chip.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:42 am
    From the American Heritage Dictionary: 1. A minute slice of a semiconducting material, such as silicon or germanium, doped and otherwise processed to have specified electrical characteristics, especially before it is developed into an electronic component or integrated circuit. Also called microchip. 2. An integrated circuit.
You can find detailed definitions of/information about computer chips by going to the following page & searching for the word chip: TechEncyclopedia

A CPU is a chip. It is one of the most (if not the most) important among many other chips in a computer.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:03 pm
I got nothing as opening the link you offered until today.Thanks Monger.

(I knew what CPU means and its functions long long ago, I just wanted to know what was exact meaning of the link between CPU and "chip".) Very Happy
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:10 pm
oristarA wrote:
(I knew what CPU means and its functions long long ago, I just wanted to know what was exact meaning of the link between CPU and "chip".) Very Happy

I figured as much, which is why I didn't mention info particular to CPUs.

Glad to have helped, oristar.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:46 am
A CPU is not necessarily a chip.

There were CPUs long before "chips" were invented (anyone else here old enough to remember?).
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:56 am
The CPU at one time referred to the entire box that houses all the boards. Everything else was a peripheral. Then the functions proper to a central processing unit were isolated to a board. Now they can fit on a chip.
0 Replies