Who are your favorite movie villains?

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:02 am
John Malkovitch in "In the Line of Fire" as the nut case planning to assassinate the President of the United States. Of course, John has done the villain turn to a T.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:12 pm
Would you consider Malkovich a villian in "Dangerous Liasons"? How about Glenn Close in same movie? Or in "Fatal Attraction"?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:08 pm
The "heavy" and the "villain" are probably synonymous so I'd say he and Close were villains in DL. Of course, Close was the villain in "Fatal Attraction. Then what was Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct?" I love it when they diffuse the line between good and evil -- it's closer to true humankind.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:30 pm
Two versions of Dangerous Liasons came out at about the same time. One starred Close and Malcovich, the other starred the guy who was in Bridget Jones . . . hmmmm.

Was thinking about Angelica Huston as the Wicked Stepmother in the updated Cinderella movie with Drew Barrymore that I think was called, "Ever After." A very hammy, over the top performance that was fun.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:58 pm
Lash wrote:
Oh darn.

Forgot the name of it.

LW, at the school Foreign Film Club, they recently promoted a movie I really wanted to see--but couldn't work it out.

Wanted to see if you'd seen it, or had heard anything.

It has a critically acclaimed but not box office successful older British (I think actress). Judy Densch?

The title...I am unsure of. The Cook, The Gangster, His Wife, and her Lover? It is supposed to be disturbing but great acting. Heard anything?

Villian talk made me think of it. The gangster is supposed to be the worst!

Lash,
That movie was "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover." Peter Greenway directed it. That villain was a right bastard. It is a really hard movie to watch, IMHO.
Your mileage may vary.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:41 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Two versions of Dangerous Liasons came out at about the same time. One starred Close and Malcovich, the other starred the guy who was in Bridget Jones . . . hmmmm.

Was thinking about Angelica Huston as the Wicked Stepmother in the updated Cinderella movie with Drew Barrymore that I think was called, "Ever After." A very hammy, over the top performance that was fun.

That would be "Valmont."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098575/

Directed by Milos Forman who also directed "Amadeus" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

Did anyone mention Nurse Ratchet from "Cuckoo's Nest" and Salieri from "Amadeus.?"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:44 pm
Peter Greenway is not one of my favorite directors -- he can be ponderous and affected to a fault.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:51 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Peter Greenway is not one of my favorite directors -- he can be ponderous and affected to a fault.

Well said. I can't stand him personally.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:58 pm
LionTamer--

You said it was hard to watch-- because of uncomfortable scenes--of sexual humiliation---or gore?

Was it worth the trauma? Was the acting or screenplay special?

Mirren...Densch... I think older women can be compelling--depending on their ability.

Thanks!
0 Replies

mind rite

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:13 am
favorite movie villian
alonzo (denzel washington's character on training day)

he is the villian you love to hate... puts a smile on your face when he is doing his antics...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:57 am
I had trouble understanding why The Thief, The Cook . . . was so popular. I, too, found it hard to watch. The sex in almost public circumstance, the history of the thief's sadism toward his wife and the final cannabalism were all too much. But, just think how much of it I remember, but, to what end?
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:30 pm
Duce,
....That makes two for good ol' Andy. He took a villainous turn in "Face In The Crowd"
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:13 pm
I don't know if she rates as a villan but she sure was evil and that was Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People. And for those who haven't seen A Face In The Crowd will really make you look at Opie's dad differently.
0 Replies

tigersfan25

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:28 pm
The HAL 9000 computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey takes the cake for me... he killed 4 people without even making a sound.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:35 pm
Lash wrote:
LionTamer--

You said it was hard to watch-- because of uncomfortable scenes--of sexual humiliation---or gore?

Was it worth the trauma? Was the acting or screenplay special?

Mirren...Densch... I think older women can be compelling--depending on their ability.

Thanks!

Personally I felt it was time wasted. The utter brutality and sadism of the villain were too over the top for me. I did not find much, if anything to like about the film. Greenway's films to me, have always been sort of disturbing eye candy laced with sophomoric intent.

This probably won't be helpful.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:38 pm
BlaiseDaley wrote:
I don't know if she rates as a villan but she sure was evil and that was Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People. And for those who haven't seen A Face In The Crowd will really make you look at Opie's dad differently.

I love Andy Griffith as Lonesome Roads (Rhodes ?) In A Face in the Crowd
One of my favorite performances ever .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:23 am
Has anyone yet mentioned Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the Old West?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:00 am
Actually my favorite Fonda performance even over 'The Lady Eve."
0 Replies

Bakku

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:25 pm
How can we forget Darth Vader?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 02:59 pm
This has probably been mentioned -- but I'd have to say George Sanders in "All About Eve."
0 Replies